New Penn | Interline Freight

Yea, I hear Roadway is going to go into Super Transport terminals and recover and deliver all of USF's stranded freight.

I hear they will handle all USF florida freight now.

good ! keep it in the family. this is the way it should be. was S.T. a union job ? i have never heard of them or even seen them on the road and i visit Fl. quite often. i know they haven't been around long time. what was the reason they shut down ?

They are owned by the Schuster family formely out of Colchester Conn.Does the name Schuster express ring a bell?They sold out to Piliot back in the early eighties.

this service new penn is doing is the same thing redstar did only redstar was in harrisburg is new penn a usf company now

owlpuss said:
this service new penn is doing is the same thing redstar did only redstar was in harrisburg is new penn a usf company now

New Penn is not a USF company...we are simply a division of YRC/RT just as the 4 remaining USF divisions (Reddaway, Bestway, Glen Moore and Holland) are as well. There is no more US Freightways.

I saw a Meridien IQ Trailer recently (formerly USF Logistics) which had all references to USF removed...I would expect to see that happening to the LTL trailer fleet in short order.

speaking of USF, i always see USF Distrubution trailers passing me being pulled by their co. driver, not a cartage agent. who are they and what do they do ? im assuming they're non-union right ? and where do they come out of ?

I believe they come out of Jersey City and just before they shut down Redstar they hired a bunch of owner op's.I do not think they have too many company drivers left..CRAZY

In the NY/NJ metro area they run out of Jersey City- They have centers around the country. Most freight is Wall of China Mart. About 10 years ago J.C NJ had a Union election. Voted down by the employees. USF then started to use O/O. They still have company drivers though. I have also seen in the past week the trailers rebranded Meridian I Q and yes USF Freightways is dead.

Sometimes small misc freight.Full loads to 1 pallet Red Star del. 2-4 trailers a day to them. Don't know who works with them now.

here 1 for you

2631 said:
I guess I can't see the big picture.
In central NJ New Penn took a good sized LTL account away from Roadway. Customer was using both carriers but are now using New Penn for California & other west coast points.

It doesn't make sense to me. Can it be that much cheaper to have New Penn interline a shipment than for Roadway to handle it direct ?

I thought both these companys were on the same team

Haven't read all the threads for thias post on interlined freight but I ran across this situation tues.

I work for Roadway here in VA and a customer shipped three skids to Quebec, Canada and had 1 skid going to the same location by Wilson. I thought that the revenue from that 1 skid for Wilson would ultimately wind up in RDWY bank account. Wilson picks it up interlines it to New Penn who delivers in in Canada or it winds up interlined to Riemer to deliver & who is owned by Who????

Just my take on it, what's yours brother.

WILSON/NPME REVENUE, gets split between those 2 company's.looks like customer doesnt want to put all his eggs in same basket. roadway salesman,wilson salesman competeing for business.we might all be in same family, except wilson, but we are still whooly-owned subsidary's of YRC and as such, we operate in a way that generates the most revenue, for each company. npme to reddaway and bestway was done as revenue growth, for all companys involved, but salesman still have to sell there services, and each company has to proform to there stated standards, otherwise roadway or yellow, could come in and take this freight. bottom line is , it's compatition, and it's the american way.

Hey Train if New Penn picks up a shipment to say Portland, OR does it get interlined to a shiny wheels to run to Reddaway to deliver??

you're right about company standards and running regional freight in a corridor is a different monster than running long haul to the west coast. I know alot of the regional carriers that had those low O/R saw their O/R go up when they start getting in the long haul market.

assumeing that was a serious question, yes, what ever npme picks up for west coast, first comes to camp hill, than that day loaded on a glenn moore truck, supposedly team operation, and goes to reddaway on the left coast. and same deal for south west area, or bestway coverage.heard from reliable source, that bestway was falling behind in delivery's of northeast freight. don't know if it was just certain service area's or through-out there whole system.

Lawman said:
I don't know what your getting so excited about, all new penn is doing is putting a new spin on a old product. Red Star had the same arangement with the same carriers ( i call them gypsies) as a matter of fact when St. JOHNSBURY was owned by sun oil they did the same thing, but used the railroads instead.All i know is that all the bad mouthing you new penn guys said about the usf companys, you should grateful that your getting their freight, because you'd be dead without it.
What a Joke- npme doesnt need anyones freight we can stand alone best o/r in the biz union or not !!

CASHCOW said:
What a Joke- npme doesnt need anyones freight we can stand alone best o/r in the biz union or not !!

This is the most ignorant post I have ever seen. First off companies like FedEx freight post a better OR than NPME.

Also there are hundreds of privately held companies that do not post their OR that operate more profitably than NPME.

While NPME is one of the best run trucking companies in the good old USA, they are not nearly as effecient or as profitable as they once were.