XPO | International Road Check week DOT. MAY 17-19 2022

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
International Roadcheck
May 17-19, 2022 | Focus on Wheel Ends
During inspection of wheel ends on a commercial motor vehicle, inspectors will:
 Check for cracks or unseated locking rings, studs or clamps.
 Check for bent, cracked or broken rims on the inside and outside wheel rims.
 Check for loose, broken, missing or damaged wheel fasteners and elongated stud holes.
 Check spoke wheels for cracks across spokes and in the web area or slippage in the clamp areas.
 Check the hub for lubricant leaks, missing caps or plugs.
 Check the inner wheel seal for leaks.
 Check the tire and valve stem for leaks.
 Check for proper inflation, cuts and bulges on all tires, including the inside tire on a dual set.
 Check for regrooved tires on steering axle.
 Check tread wear and measure major tread groove depth.
 Inspect the sidewall for improper repairs, such as tire plugs.
 Check for exposed fabric or cord.
 Check for tire contact with any part of the vehicle.
 Check for markings on the tire that would exclude its use on a steering axle.
 Check for debris between the tires.
 Check for tires touching one another or any part of the vehicle.
This year’s International Roadcheck will focus on wheel ends, which include the wheels, rims, hubs and tires on a commercial motor vehicle. Violations involving those components historically account for about one quarter of the vehicle out-of-service violations discovered during International Roadcheck, and past International Roadcheck data routinely found wheel end components in the top 10 of vehicle violations.
Wheel end components support the heavy loads carried by commercial motor vehicles, maintain stability and control, and are critical for braking, keeping the vehicle safely on the road. Failure of these components may lead to a catastrophic crash. It is crucial for commercial motor vehicle drivers to check wheel end components during pre- and post-trip inspections. The driver’s observations during the inspection are the first step in detecting a wheel-end or wheel-bearing problem. In addition, identifying wheel end problems before they cause downtime may save drivers and motor carriers from expensive emergency roadside towing and repairs.

Oh that’s great ! Our rust covered wheels should drawn a focus on us. Rustiest rims in the industry. Their a sure sing of lack of maintenance. With them and the launch of the paperless DVI the week it starts we should be in good shape ….

Oh that’s great ! Our rust covered wheels should drawn a focus on us. Rustiest rims in the industry. Their a sure sing of lack of maintenance. With them and the launch of the paperless DVI the week it starts we should be in good shape ….
Management types are going for the patina look on the rims. It's all the rage with them hipsters.

The rusty rims speak volumes especially when worn traction tires are mounted on them. It screams …. Hey ,DOT look at this truck over real good because we’re just pinching pennies and trying to get by with the minimum of maintenance.

In all my years driving there has NEVER been one DOT office that asked for a DVI. I been through many inspection in many different states.

The rusty rims speak volumes especially when worn traction tires are mounted on them. It screams …. Hey ,DOT look at this truck over real good because we’re just pinching pennies and trying to get by with the minimum of maintenance.
You and your rusty rims. I been inspected more with shiny wheels. The one company I worked for I saw the back of the scale more then any driver needs to see in his career. I think is was because of all those shiny wheel on the 7,8 or 9 axles. Though it might have been those big 60, 70 or 80 ton Cat machine on the trailer.
I like to think the DOT office like seeing his reflection in all that shiny chrome.