SAIA | INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS ABSOLUTELY SUCK!

I once had a tractor that was essentially unlimited except at the fuel pump. At a certain speed the computer killed the fuel supply leaving engine with zero output. Which was something I could never accept because I am one of those people who has a empathy on engines or other devices that sometimes work really hard for what they are exceeding their designs.

As a workaround I switched to Georgia Overdrive on the downgrade and let Gravity add the speed until there was either no more downhill and now we are on our way up. Wheee.. OR there was a hell of a downhill that made a momentum run up the next mountain grade up possible while loaded.

I am leaving out the details for such things. Our esteemed engineers building these tractors at the factory do not know how it could be possible to bruteforce a computer into seeing a situation where certain downhills and a Doctorate in Physics takes care of any old silly 65 cruise BS problem.

I lay this at the feet of a inudstry unwilling to wait a damn week for the trailer to get to Joisey intact. They waited two to three months for it on the water, the can wait a damn week. But no. Now thts its been released bu customs, get the Dollar Boys out on this dispatch, anything less is a form of abuse.

Well here's the issue...Saia has been buying these International LT's since 2020 model year. I've driven quite a few of them on my LH run and theyre fine, with a Cummins X15 and 450hp. It'll get the job done and I'm able to keep my foot on the pedal when I have the cruise set to 68 so that the sh*tspreader doesn't decelerate when passing/climbing hills.

On the 2022 models, Saia has programmed them to still be governed at 68 on cruise, but only 65 on the pedal and to stop acceleration at 62(pedal) 65 (cruise). Eventually it should hit your target speed, but these damn things were programmed with the idea of fuel savings (no acceleration) and preventing the driver from following too closely.

They're DANGEROUS. You can't pass in them. If I get close enough to see that the vehicle in front of me is going 58 in a 65 and I go to pass, the truck will slam on it's brakes a football field away to match the speed of the vehicle in front of me. When there's an opening to pass and I move into the passing lane, the POS won't accelerate AT ALL until there's nothing around it in a 400 yard distance. Pushing on the fuel just cuts the power. So im left sitting in the passing lane, at this point going 10 under the speed limit and cars/trucks have now started flying past me in the right lane and tailgating behind me.

I'll get back in the right lane when safe, only to have the same stupid 58 mph vehicle reappear minutes later, forcing the same passing nonsense.

Along with the camera BS and general thumb on driver feel from corporate, this last move with the truck programming has really killed any last drop of enjoyment I had at this job.

C'mon Saia, why the change from 2021 to 2022 models?!?
Too many pencil pushers and with no real world driving experience or the inclination to think that maybe, perhaps...they don't have all the answers and should ASK a driver his/her opinion on the off chance Management hasn't thought of everything. What a concept

Just to confirm that, YES these new International trucks do indeed suck. Just hit 25,000 miles on my 22xxxx series and I can without any doubt confirm that they're trash. Uncomfortable. Lack power. Programmed horrifically so you can't climb hills or pass anyone. Thing GUZZLES DEF as well. Meh.

Drove one of the older Volvo trucks the other day for change of pace, and was really questioning why Saia is purchasing so many of these new international trucks and not new Volvo's. Probably cost. Or the fact that the volvos have a ton of electrical/sensor issues. But driving the Volvo is like a quiet, comfortable and capable Cadillac vs the International being a cheap, underpowered, unreliable Dodge Neon lol.

Just to confirm that, YES these new International trucks do indeed suck. Just hit 25,000 miles on my 22xxxx series and I can without any doubt confirm that they're trash. Uncomfortable. Lack power. Programmed horrifically so you can't climb hills or pass anyone. Thing GUZZLES DEF as well. Meh.

Drove one of the older Volvo trucks the other day for change of pace, and was really questioning why Saia is purchasing so many of these new international trucks and not new Volvo's. Probably cost. Or the fact that the volvos have a ton of electrical/sensor issues. But driving the Volvo is like a quiet, comfortable and capable Cadillac vs the International being a cheap, underpowered, unreliable Dodge Neon lol.
I'd never argue about the I H being junk.
We ran a COE flatback with the 8V71, this was probably one of the worse junk piles to hit the road.
You could get hypothermia in winter, they spent thousands trying to stop exhaust leaks, (never did) just to name a few problems.
Other companies with this truck had very few problems.
A company with its hair-brained ideas can ruin a decent truck with its own specs.

Exhaust leaks? Drive to Wolcott and get new pipes.

Thats the issue I think. The company woudl rather spend 200 in labor rather than 2000 damn dollars. Its cheaper by a thousand patches.

I have never driven an international that I liked. 25+ years and all internationals I’ve been in (3 different models) have been loud, weak, harsh ride, prone to breakdowns, cheap gage clusters, butt ugly

Ok, I thought I was the only one who was having problems with the new 2022 Internationals. They really do blow!!

It's the way Saia has them programmed. They'll supposedly do 68 on cruise but when you push the fuel pedal at 68 to keep the sh*tbox from slowing down when passing, it'll kill all power and drop the speed to 62. Things are SO DANGEROUS!!

Keep writing them up and putting them out of service.
I work for another comp. Ours are set up the same way. Absolute death traps! Being able to accelerate and get moving are just as important as being able to stop. The dumb ::shit:: that came up with the idea never even drove a truck. If you floor the gas pedal twice quickly, you can speed up by 2 mph more. All those so called safety features, technology, beepin and buzzin get on my nerves to no end. They just keep doing things to make you hate your job more and more all thr time. I miss the "real trucks" of yesturyear.

I work for another comp. Ours are set up the same way. Absolute death traps! Being able to accelerate and get moving are just as important as being able to stop. The dumb **** that came up with the idea never even drove a truck. If you floor the gas pedal twice quickly, you can speed up by 2 mph more. All those so called safety features, technology, beepin and buzzin get on my nerves to no end. They just keep doing things to make you hate your job more and more all thr time. I miss the "real trucks" of yesturyear.
That beeping is crazy ,I'm tempted to set it on 60 and follow prime

I work for another comp. Ours are set up the same way. Absolute death traps! Being able to accelerate and get moving are just as important as being able to stop. The dumb **** that came up with the idea never even drove a truck. If you floor the gas pedal twice quickly, you can speed up by 2 mph more. All those so called safety features, technology, beepin and buzzin get on my nerves to no end. They just keep doing things to make you hate your job more and more all thr time. I miss the "real trucks" of yesturyear.
If you stupidproof the job, stupid will qualify for the job

This is what happens when ya gotta dumb everything down to accomadate the retards and sidewalk sissies who couldn’t cut it at Werner or JB Cunt

It's funny how this thread comes back up... Yesterday I drove a sweet lil 2019 freightliner that had 68 on the cruise and 71 on the pedal. I ran a triangle and a turn for 602 miles. With the new "smart" cruise control that extra turn would have been a "no thanks, dispatcher". With the old truck with a little more punch in it, being more productive was a cake walk.

Wish to remove a really bad truck? Insert 1 large tube of valve grinding compound in to the oil filler neck. Flush with 2 qts of oil. The above is just a thought NOT a call to action. I am dreaming these thoughts. I wish no harm to the Northern Pike in the lake. Remember your actions did not arise from my post. And last but not least. If you have to drive said truck, bring a lunch, thermous, & extra Charmin. Ya gonna need it. von.

It's funny how this thread comes back up... Yesterday I drove a sweet lil 2019 freightliner that had 68 on the cruise and 71 on the pedal. I ran a triangle and a turn for 602 miles. With the new "smart" cruise control that extra turn would have been a "no thanks, dispatcher". With the old truck with a little more punch in it, being more productive was a cake walk.
Well C A only those of us that have done it as you described can appreciate it. That last bumped up college boy can't understand what the difference is, as you described. Same miles. What's the big deal? Of course he's never been told in the middle of the night that his work day is going to be extended by 2 hours or so, but be safe out there driver! I have had a real problem with young guys not willing to put in the bad days that a lot of us have. But now, why should they, what did all that grief get us? Sure didn't get any more consideration on the job. If it wasn't a good thing personally for you, the powers to be could give less than a s##t . So maybe they are smarter than us oldtimers in that regard.