Interview with Sysco Eastern MD next week

Heh...the operator lady who I explained my situation to and said "is there someone in Sysco Eastern Md I can speak with to clear things up?" just gave me an 800 number that directed me to the recruitment center that I assume is Sysco recruitment for the entire country.

god bless corporate america! I give up for today. I'm just gonna give my 2 weeks notice on Monday and see what happens. If it comes to it I'll get a long needed 1-1.5 week vacation I guess. I'll just eat ramen noodles and not spend any money.

It's just too many cooks. And they don't pay attention to anything you tell them.

Welcome to Sysco.
How best to deal with a shortage of drivers? Make the process as confusing and drawn out as possible so that the ones you do get hooked say "f" it and move on.
If you call your local house ask for the person who interviewed you. Busy or not he has a vested interest in getting you in the door and would be your best shot at either giving you the answer you need or directing you to someone who can.

Lazlo, we have hired guys and are staffed up so I'm told, yet I work 60 hrs a week and we have men running out of hours every single Friday!!! The more we have the more they put on us!!

Hiring like crazy here too. Drivers have been hard to get in the door, so lately they've been bringing in guys with permits to train.

Hiring like crazy here too. Drivers have been hard to get in the door, so lately they've been bringing in guys with permits to train.

We can't hire guys with experience we hire guys that have never thrown groceries, we have a couple of trainers that are good, they seem to be working out, I made it in the yard with 30 min to spare on my 60, I'm about sick of it and if it don't change soon I believe I will be moving on, in this stage of my life, quality of life means more than money.

After Werner I was working for a temp agency (only a couple of days a week so I was starving) when they sent me to an interview with Sysco, three weeks went by and I was told there was some stink with the union not wanting temp drivers (this ain't a bad thing, they wanted the drivers to be actual employees of Sysco), yet they needed drivers and didn't have them. I was finally told to show up, and worked/trained but I wasn't told anything, after another couple of weeks of working every day for Sysco, I was offered a job at UPS (casual) and Heartland Express (regional), money was running out and I had to make a decision so I called the temp agency who called Sysco who said they wanted to hire me. So I decided to work hard and go home every night. Eight years later I still see problems with communications sometimes.

I'm just pissed Brother, maybe it will pass and maybe not, if it don't I won't be here, my town has better offerings where groceries are concerned, Sysco ain't the end all, in fact guys I approach laugh in my face when I try and recruit them that goes for beer and pop guys as well, they flat laugh at us.

Brother, you are lucky if you are able to consider switching jobs, well maybe not.

When they were messing with me I told them flat out I/we needed the medicine that the health insurance provides, so it was pointless if they were trying to make me quit or do something stupid to get fired, it ain't gonna happen.

So so like Trent Reznor says, happiness in slavery, I don't have a choice really. I can however choose to let it make me bitter, or just chug along merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream.

If I were to get fired without trying, well that would be fate, and I'd happily look for another job then, burn that bridge when I cross it.

Training starts on September 9. Pretty excited. I appreciate all the information you guys have provided!

Just did the math and I've driven a million miles OTR safely in 8.5 years. Been to all of the 48 connected states. Glad I did that when i was 24 and now its time for the next chapter. I certainly won't miss the truck stops or the state of Indiana.

Training starts on September 9. Pretty excited. I appreciate all the information you guys have provided!

Just did the math and I've driven a million miles OTR safely in 8.5 years. Been to all of the 48 connected states. Glad I did that when i was 24 and now its time for the next chapter. I certainly won't miss the truck stops or the state of Indiana.

Congratulations on the million, that quite impressive, I hope you log a million at Sysco! Then you can retire and live the good life!!!

I'm on vacation that week getting some mad ink, I'll be pulling for you Brother!

Hey everybody, sorry I haven't been on here in a while.

I'm about 3-4 months into the job. I don't really know what to think. Some days are good. I don't mind the working hard. In fact, I really enjoy it....but there are lots of bad days. Or bad moments in days. And I've never been a complainer and this isn't complaining...it's more just kind of amazement as how incompetent such a big company can be. I shouldn't be shocked though. After all I did work for JB Hunt for 8 years.

A few things that have really bummed me out and might have me looking elsewhere:

-I got "written up" the other day for the drivecam going off on our yard while a helper was in my truck without his seatbelt on. I was told in training that we weren't required to wear seatbelts on the yard. I told my supervisor I thought it was a joke and signed the "write up" anyway. It just left me with a foul taste in my mouth for this outfit. I also had a guy who's been here 20 years tell me he got written up a few weeks back for being on the yard doing his pre-trip for 40 minutes, which was deemed too long. I guess what bums me out is that we all know how nearly impossible and hard this job is...so why mess with people for no reason? I know it's a very minor thing and getting "written up" isn't a big deal, but just the fact that they would waste my time like this really had me wanting to quit for about a week.

-these trucks are loaded so incompetently it defies any sort of reasoning. Every day I've got a pallet of chemicals and 20 boxes for stops 5 through 15 in front of everything else I have to get to. It's almost like I can hear the trailer whispering at me to break my ankle. Then there's the single piece that isn't loaded on the right pallet and is in fact 2 pallets behind it. I've stopped digging for that piece. I've been sending that piece back with a note that says "loaded on wrong pallet, sent back on return truck". They can fire me if they want. I'm not going to dig 2 pallets back for one piece and risk an injury and 30 minutes time because it was screwed up at the warehouse.

-About a month ago the "fastest guy in the company" (according to everyone I talk to on my yard, about 10-12 drivers) went out with a hernia injury. Guess who's been running that route for the last month? Me, the new guy. Without a lift gate every day. Like I said, I like the hard work, and in fact I enjoy it.....but these times they put on the invoices are absolutely insane. They just completely make them up right? I mean I know they say they average the drivers that do the stops....but as far as I can tell they'll adjust the times to whatever fits their needs for the day. Sometimes I'll have a small stop that is like 10-12 cases and it'll give me 6 minutes. And I need to back into a dock, find the kitchen person, get the bill signed, etc. It's just stupid.

I've been doing pretty good if I can analyze myself. I had my doubts about my own ability in the beginning, but I've been running that route every day for a month and most days I end up an hour or so behind at the end of the day, but I really do consider that a hell of a job considering I'm trying to keep up with the fastest guy in the company who was so fast that he won't be back until February. pretty much get 550-700 cases a day and 10-15 stops.

All in all, I like the job itself, but the routing, warehouse, and management are a total joke and really no different...possibly worse...than a company like JB Hunt.

They had a guy who broke his finger last Friday ride with me on Monday and Tuesday this week. This was because I told one of the other drivers at the end of a day I didn't know how long I'd be with this company if things didn't change (I was annoyed at the end of a 15 hour day)...and he told my supervisor on my behalf....so they gave me help for 2 days....a guy with a broken finger who couldn't do any work. It made me feel good to know if I break a bone they'll try to stick me out in a truck. Like I said, this place is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah...I like the actual job of it. the money is nice. It isn't "great"...I mean it is...but for the work required to make that money I think it's probably just "good." Seems like most of the guys who have bought into the evil ways big time are the ones most addicted to the money. Thankfully I learned a few years back that dollar bills aren't all they're cracked up to be. We'll see how it goes here. At least I'm pretty good with a hand cart now. I said I'd give it 6 months-1 year in the beginning and I plan to stick by that. All the guys that have been here a while have been telling me "it's as bad as it's ever been right now." Lucky me.

Last edited:
Henry, it is bad right now, all over, but this is the job, it may get better some, but it ain't gonna get over all better.

What you said, everything, rings true, we all complain about it, some guys can't take it and move on, others like me, well, we deal with it, adjust our attitude accordingly and make every day the best day possible.

BTW, if I can't find a case of product and find it later, it goes in the return trailer, no explanation I just short it and send it back, they know whats going on. Here its hard to find whse help I guess, they can do no wrong, we can't hire a driver yet they gripe at us for everything, I'm union so there is only so much they can do, I let it go in one ear and out the other.

For the record, I do like my job, I wish things would change though.

I don't remember if you are union or not, but don't sign anything disciplinary unless your shop steward says to.

I won't bust a pallet apart for a short unless I can actually see the case I'm looking for. I'm required to e-mail the short, and then another e-mail to tell them it was buried. I won't go back to the customer with it unless they tell me to, once in a great while they'll send someone to pick up that case and deliver it. A lot of lost sales from this problem.

I mean I know they say they average the drivers that do the stops....

The xata is supposed to be able to average out the stop timings, but they may or may not have implemented that feature. Also in order to get it to work right like that, multiple drivers will have to do that stop, which means we don't have set routes. What would make more sense is if they averaged the times for the driver who is doing each route or stop all the time, that would make things a bit more predictable and things would run smoother...

It's a shame it doesn't give an average drive time, we lose 5~10 minutes just trying to get to the next stop.

but as far as I can tell they'll adjust the times to whatever fits their needs for the day. Sometimes I'll have a small stop that is like 10-12 cases and it'll give me 6 minutes. And I need to back into a dock, find the kitchen person, get the bill signed, etc. It's just stupid.

Many of us have noticed these adjustments, with my route it happens every other day, the router must have been instructed to make certain we are done delivering by 5:30.

And then they'll throw a half dozen COD customers and give no time for check writing.

most days I end up an hour or so behind at the end of the day

A lot of us end up an hour behind.

And a lot of the drivers say it keeps getting worse. When I became a truck driver I was resigned to working 14 hours a day. Every day I go in, I know I may have to work 14, 15 or 16+ hours. If I get out in 10 hours, great, just not as much money. I try not to let stuff bother me. If I have to tear every pallet down, yeah hard work but I'm getting paid for it. I'm not gonna go so fast to be injured though. When the route and/or trailer is a mess, I figure they wanted me to fall behind that day. When a customer asks me to tell the management something for them I refuse, and I tell them they don't listen to us drivers and I won't waste my breath. And the same goes for telling them about the loads and routing, nothing ever gets fixed, why waste my breath. I just go in and do my job, the best I can, and it's worked out so far.

It's a chocolate coated piece of poop. I have to eat it every day. I'm not convinced I'd be better off anywhere else though.

I'm about 3-4 months into the job. I don't really know what to think. Some days are good. I don't mind the working hard. In fact, I really enjoy it....but there are lots of bad days. Or bad moments in days. And I've never been a complainer and this isn't complaining...it's more just kind of amazement as how incompetent such a big company can be. I shouldn't be shocked though. After all I did work for JB Hunt for 8 years.

A few things that have really bummed me out and might have me looking elsewhere:

-I got "written up" the other day for the drivecam going off on our yard while a helper was in my truck without his seatbelt on. I was told in training that we weren't required to wear seatbelts on the yard. I told my supervisor I thought it was a joke and signed the "write up" anyway. It just left me with a foul taste in my mouth for this outfit. I also had a guy who's been here 20 years tell me he got written up a few weeks back for being on the yard doing his pre-trip for 40 minutes, which was deemed too long. I guess what bums me out is that we all know how nearly impossible and hard this job is...so why mess with people for no reason? I know it's a very minor thing and getting "written up" isn't a big deal, but just the fact that they would waste my time like this really had me wanting to quit for about a week.

-these trucks are loaded so incompetently it defies any sort of reasoning. Every day I've got a pallet of chemicals and 20 boxes for stops 5 through 15 in front of everything else I have to get to. It's almost like I can hear the trailer whispering at me to break my ankle. Then there's the single piece that isn't loaded on the right pallet and is in fact 2 pallets behind it. I've stopped digging for that piece. I've been sending that piece back with a note that says "loaded on wrong pallet, sent back on return truck". They can fire me if they want. I'm not going to dig 2 pallets back for one piece and risk an injury and 30 minutes time because it was screwed up at the warehouse.

-About a month ago the "fastest guy in the company" (according to everyone I talk to on my yard, about 10-12 drivers) went out with a hernia injury. Guess who's been running that route for the last month? Me, the new guy. Without a lift gate every day. Like I said, I like the hard work, and in fact I enjoy it.....but these times they put on the invoices are absolutely insane. They just completely make them up right? I mean I know they say they average the drivers that do the stops....but as far as I can tell they'll adjust the times to whatever fits their needs for the day. Sometimes I'll have a small stop that is like 10-12 cases and it'll give me 6 minutes. And I need to back into a dock, find the kitchen person, get the bill signed, etc. It's just stupid.

I've been doing pretty good if I can analyze myself. I had my doubts about my own ability in the beginning, but I've been running that route every day for a month and most days I end up an hour or so behind at the end of the day, but I really do consider that a hell of a job considering I'm trying to keep up with the fastest guy in the company who was so fast that he won't be back until February. pretty much get 550-700 cases a day and 10-15 stops.

All in all, I like the job itself, but the routing, warehouse, and management are a total joke and really no different...possibly worse...than a company like JB Hunt.

They had a guy who broke his finger last Friday ride with me on Monday and Tuesday this week. This was because I told one of the other drivers at the end of a day I didn't know how long I'd be with this company if things didn't change (I was annoyed at the end of a 15 hour day)...and he told my supervisor on my behalf....so they gave me help for 2 days....a guy with a broken finger who couldn't do any work. It made me feel good to know if I break a bone they'll try to stick me out in a truck. Like I said, this place is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah...I like the actual job of it. the money is nice. It isn't "great"...I mean it is...but for the work required to make that money I think it's probably just "good." Seems like most of the guys who have bought into the evil ways big time are the ones most addicted to the money. Thankfully I learned a few years back that dollar bills aren't all they're cracked up to be. We'll see how it goes here. At least I'm pretty good with a hand cart now. I said I'd give it 6 months-1 year in the beginning and I plan to stick by that. All the guys that have been here a while have been telling me "it's as bad as it's ever been right now." Lucky me.

never sign anything !!! in fact, file a grievance on the matter. they have been pushing us out of the yard in the morning also. 25 min for pre trip. 35 for post at the end of the day. just remember, its your livelihood, not syscos. take as much time to do a proper safe pre trip. bleed the brakes, check lug nuts, etc.

I'm just pissed Brother, maybe it will pass and maybe not, if it don't I won't be here, my town has better offerings where groceries are concerned, Sysco ain't the end all, in fact guys I approach laugh in my face when I try and recruit them that goes for beer and pop guys as well, they flat laugh at us.

Some of the beer and pop drivers around here won't touch Sysco. One driver for the Miller distributor here in town went "I won't work at Sysco ever, once 8 hours comes it's time to go home."