Investing in workers means justice for retirees, a leg up for the middle class: Marty Walsh and Sherrod Brown

TUCKED INTO THE American Rescue Plan — the coronavirus stimulus that passed in early March — is the greatest victory for American workers in recent memory: the Butch Lewis Emergency Pension Plan Relief Act. The law constitutes a massive rescue for the 10 million members and retirees of oft-underfunded labor-management multiemployer pension funds, which in recent years have threatened dramatic cuts for hundreds of thousands of pensioners and reduced, sometimes substantially, the benefits of tens of thousands.

Now those 10 million workers will see their benefits protected for, at minimum, the next 30 years. Pension funds that had already cut benefits for their members will pay back workers the amount that they were cut, with some retirees expecting checks in excess of $15,000. The result is an affirmation of the right to a secure retirement, arguably the biggest win for labor in Congress since the passage of the Family and Medical Leave Act in 1993.
And it still doesn’t say that roadway gets paid less than Holland does. You are an idiot that cannot read!

Calm down princess have a bottle of warm milk change dat dippie you’ll be happy after that
Poor baby. I say the truth and call you a liar and now you’re pouting. Waaaaaa!!!! Not sure what a dippie is either. Are you illiterate?

Last edited:
I’m not pouting .What I posted is on the web . You choose to insult me . For what I’m not sure , but hey it’s your right to defame something you don’t agree with.

I’m not pouting .What I posted is on the web . You choose to insult me . For what I’m not sure , but hey it’s your right to defame something you don’t agree with.
You’re posting lies!!! Flat out lies! Roadway and Holland are both getting the same pension deal. If you’re going to post lies I’m going to call you out on it! It does not say roadway is getting less pension money than Holland is. Fact!!!!!!!!

You’re posting lies!!! Flat out lies! Roadway and Holland are both getting the same pension deal. If you’re going to post lies I’m going to call you out on it! It does not say roadway is getting less pension money than Holland is. Fact!!!!!!!!
I never said they were. I ask was yrc getting pension restored, was told no, then I came across the article I posted today. And here we are. I can call you names as easily as you if you want or agree to disagree !

I never said they were. I ask was yrc getting pension restored, was told no, then I came across the article I posted today. And here we are. I can call you names as easily as you if you want or agree to disagree !
That’s absolutely what you said! Here’s a picture of it from the page before this!

E059A0C6-B83E-4276-905C-A0563D317E46.md.png

I just proved it! Tell me I’m wrong liar!

Now those 10 million workers will see their benefits protected for, at minimum, the next 30 years. Pension funds that had already cut benefits for their members will pay back workers the amount that they were cut, with some retirees expecting checks in excess of $15,000. The result is an affirmation of the right to a secure retirement, arguably the biggest win for labor in Congress since the passage of the Family and Medical Leave Act in 1993.
I hate to break the bad news to you, but it is talking about restoring the pension funds that had already taken cuts. It does not mean it will change the contract language in your union contract. If you were one of the companies under the YRCW banner, your contract states that the employer will pay into the pension fund at 25% of the full rate or that you will receive credit for one full year for every four full years you work. The Butch Lewis Act restores the underfunded pension funds for the next 30 years, but it does not change the contract language in your contract. You will still only receive one years credit for every four years worked as stated in your contract until your contract language is changed to reflect otherwise. Is it right to do this? HELL NO it is not. But, because of your contract language, that is all you will get. I may be wrong, and I hope that I am. But that is my understanding of it.

Well then you tell me will my pension benefits be restored ?
They will be restored to whatever your contract reads. They will not be restored to what your contract language read before the contract concessions took effect unless the contract language is changed to do so. So, your pension has been restored as far as being underfunded and being taken over by the PBGC that would pay you only a percentage of what your contract states, but you guys are still under the work four years for one years pension credit until your contract language is changed.

They will be restored to whatever your contract reads. They will not be restored to what your contract language read before the contract concessions took effect unless the contract language is changed to do so. So, your pension has been restored as far as being underfunded and being taken over by the PBGC that would pay you only a percentage of what your contract states, but you guys are still under the work four years for one years pension credit until your contract language is
They will be restored to whatever your contract reads. They will not be restored to what your contract language read before the contract concessions took effect unless the contract language is changed to do so. So, your pension has been restored as far as being underfunded and being taken over by the PBGC that would pay you only a percentage of what your contract states, but you guys are still under the work four years for one years pension credit until your contract language is changed.
Thank you, I thought the same thing then I read another article about the pension rescue plan and I was hopeful that the pension benefits would be restored. Guy’s at my old barn are getting twice what I get. And I know I am not the only one receiving less. I am in no way more important than any other teamsters in the same situation .

richard attenborough wow GIF

Read it and weep!

No. If you are in central states you never had a reduction. Your reduction came from CONTRACT reductions, not because the pension was in danger. In addition is if you retired before 65 your pension is reduced for every year you retire early.
Thank you for your information. It is most useful and I greatly appreciate you for clearing up my misunderstanding of the article. In addition I apologize for being rude towards you.