XPO | is FAC @ ULX being reopened?

They had a big push a couple years ago and it didn't work then. Same old song and dance, It didn't work then but we'll try it again.

Yeah, we build pures and they ship them to the FAC's and they break them and load them into long boxes. Makes sense to me. That's how we save money.

Not only does it save money but it gets our P&D freight out on the streets quicker in the morning because the FAC's close earlier........or something.

They had a big push a couple years ago and it didn't work then. Same old song and dance, It didn't work then but we'll try it again.
You guys had a big push a couple of years ago to build pures and headloads and it didn't work? Out here in the West from the beginning of Con-way until 2000, we built nothing but pures and ran layovers and Meet & Turns and everything was great. Then they open up a UKC and Blythe and make almost all terminals into FAC's, and we forget how to build pures and headloads, freight gets damaged/lost, claims go sky high, freight gets back to service centers later and later, out on the street later & later, pissed off customers. It's a horrible way of moving freight, but maybe it works well for the Midwest and East. I don't know. Out here it should be more focus on pures with runs being layovers and meet & turns. Lets not try to re-invent the wheel.

You guys had a big push a couple of years ago to build pures and headloads and it didn't work? Out here in the West from the beginning of Con-way until 2000, we built nothing but pures and ran layovers and Meet & Turns and everything was great. Then they open up a UKC and Blythe and make almost all terminals into FAC's, and we forget how to build pures and headloads, freight gets damaged/lost, claims go sky high, freight gets back to service centers later and later, out on the street later & later, pissed off customers. It's a horrible way of moving freight, but maybe it works well for the Midwest and East. I don't know. Out here it should be more focus on pures with runs being layovers and meet & turns. Lets not try to re-invent the wheel.

They should allow regional people to make regional decisions and quit trying to consolidate all the decision making to Michigan. Lay-over runs would serve no real purpose in the East because there are so many terminals in a given radius. We have the ability to reach about 50 terminals and many more meet points. At one point, my old terminal ran 11 different FAC's and two meet points every night which gave us a lot of different options and next-day points. I'm sure XAY still runs 8 or 9 different FAC's per night for proper, two day, and day lane freight. Even after the closures, most terminals still are less than 90 miles to the next closest terminal from Chicago to the East.

If we get much busier, the FAC that would make sense to re-open to me would be Allentown, Pa. It could be used to take pressure off of Hagerstown, Milton, and to a degree, Newburgh, Newark, and Carlstadt. My guess is the argument against this would be that it is easier to consolidate freight for west-bound vans with less FAC's.

They continue to tell us vans are being used to eliminate empty miles and cover freight that we don't have the drivers or equipment to cover yet we continue to run mt's to the East and even return with mt's at times when a late decision is made to build a van. We've hired a number of new drivers here, a few will be very very good thank God, and now the issue is a lack of trucks during the day.

I may be an idiot, but I'm still trying to give the company the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the 5% and the current use of sub-service. In 2010 we'll get the next round of trucks, the company is making money, we have/will have many more drivers in place, T/L and LTL capacity should decline a little, and rates should climb a little. Once that happens I form my opinion of this company based on what they do with wages, sub-service, and overall operational strategies.

Sorry for that novel.. I'm turning into Rat..lol.. You know I like your posts Rat..