is frito-lay a good job?

The traffic center close to me pays:
.51 CPM
0.0925 for deadstacked cases
0.075 for bin cases/2 wheeler
$7.50 per drop and hook
$7.50 per stop
$10.75 per hour Delay/Breakdown pay
and $5.00 per every 5 hours worked for meals.

They start you out at 85% pay until your 90 days of probation are up.

Wow it's different than here. We start out at top pay and benefits day one.
And it's a month training.

Finally! Today HR called and set up my drug screen. Took care of that, gave my employer notice, and will start at Frito Lay, Williamsport, PA on the 19th. Traffic manager said my 1st week will be training in office as well as going on runs with drivers. 2nd week possibly cut loose on my own.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forum Runner

I had 21.5 yrs in Central PA Teamsters between FXI and New Penn. My pension there is fully vested and I check on it every month. I left New Penn (Reading) because I was disgusted with the YRC implosion. For them making decisions which everyone else had to pay for (wage concessions/vacation loss/pension payments not made and severely reduced forever). So I left using the leave of absence policy. Moved my family home to Lycoming County and went into the gasfield heavy haul industry. Now I'm ready to settle into a decent job I can put 12-15 yrs into and retire. And no, Frito is not represented at the Wmspt terminal. Not sure of any that are?
I know the drivers out of Dayville CT are Teamsters!

I know the traffic manager out of Denver is a good guy. Down to earth. He rode with me one night when we started with GES in Kansas City. He said most guys are home everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comeback. How's the job compared to Foodservice? Worked at US Foods for the year. Unloading was cake but unrealistic unload times and over loading stops on a route all the time stressed me out. I have a good not great night LTL linehaul gig but freight goes up and down. Gets old quick. Just trying to see my options.

I think it would be a good job. From what Matt has said tho it's really hard to start out. If you got a wife and kids it could be hard on them. But unloading chips to me would be alot easier then Foodservice. If I had a chance and was single with no kids I'd do it in a heartbeat. I understand about freight going up and down. Do your runs ever get canceled? I work for a steel company and we have slow weeks and we have really busy weeks. Would it bother you to work weekends and holidays?

It really depends on where your out of. I love it and am lucky. I'm not sure how being out of Denver is but that guy that rode with me is a real fair and easy to talk with guy. Pay is good and we are steady for the most part out of Topeka. I would apply and ask questions. They are straight up with people. They let you know the bad right out the gate. Ask questions. I will never regret making the move.

It really depends on where your out of. I love it and am lucky. I'm not sure how being out of Denver is but that guy that rode with me is a real fair and easy to talk with guy. Pay is good and we are steady for the most part out of Topeka. I would apply and ask questions. They are straight up with people. They let you know the bad right out the gate. Ask questions. I will never regret making the move.

Got to agree with you there, they were straight up with me, they needed people but weren't willing to BS about it, I'm glad they didn't.

Thanks guys for the replies. I don't mind working weekends cause I work em now. Get some holidays off depends on when it lands or I got to do my run or everyone drops to extraboard and junior guy gets to work like me. I've been considering leaving cause I've got cancelled during busy season which gots me worried for winter. Last year with less seniority I didn't get cancelled. I'm not the only driver here that notice this either about freight. I like my current company (very laid back) but we have not that many lanes so Wyoming gets very old. No chance for days unless you've been here for 15+ yrs or you got to loose seniority and work city for a pay cut. I'm single so I only got myself to worry about so schedule shouldn't affect me. From the way pay sounds like this could be looking for with a good balance of being home. I've 2 wheeled a pallet of Frito lay chips and I loved it compared to the groceries I was throwing lol. I've dropped a app so we'll see what happens.

Well, my first week is in the books. Two days of safety and quick TMap training, and boom...in a truck on my own. Well, first two trips were running with other driver in his own unit doing the same run. Then a fingerprint load to Harrisburg, followed by a Sat d&h run. Nice week and felt good getting back out on the boulevard.

Playing phone tag with HR since yesterday lol. Called them back when I got to my hotel in the morning left a message and called them back after they called me when I got home this morning left another message. My truck is loud and I want to pay attention to their phone interview which she said its a phone interview in the message, so I wait to call them when I get home plus it's usually around 10am during business hours. So hopefully they call back before I go to sleep for the day, dang it! Gotta work nights all week.

Well, my first week is in the books. Two days of safety and quick TMap training, and boom...in a truck on my own. Well, first two trips were running with other driver in his own unit doing the same run. Then a fingerprint load to Harrisburg, followed by a Sat d&h run. Nice week and felt good getting back out on the boulevard.

Wow so they turned you lose after 2 trips? I start at Frito lay next Monday and will be doing 5 weeks of training. Going out with a different senior driver each of the 5 weeks. Then turned lose. It's amazing how different locations run their operations completely different.. as far as pay, training, etc..

5 weeks? I can see that with an inexperienced driver. But anyone with at least a year under their belt, that is over kill. I came here with 24 years. Yesterday was my first and probably only day of actual training/running with another driver, and only to show me how to unload bins.

Well it's actually 4 weeks I found out. Doesn't matter how much experience you have or not. I start my 4 weeks training tomorrow. First 2 days are classroom and filling out HR stuff. Then out with senior drivers on the road. Start out at 85 percent pay but that's fine since we get paid for the senior drivers run that we're on. Which usually are the best paid runs they said. I'm excited and hope I finally found a place to call home and retire from. Learn so much from this Forum.

JRut I also am learning how different Frito is from place to place. We also have 4 weeks at least of training no matter how experienced you are.
Glad your on and I hope it works for you.

Thank you! Road test was kind of nerve racking since they threw me in a 57 foot with a sleeper. And I'm used to pretty much nothing but 48" day cab. But it was surprisingly easy. Drove about 50 miles to a packaging facility, did a drop and hook, picked up an empty 53 foot. And drove back to the plant. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes Frito is a pain in the ass on their driving tests.
I pulled through barrels all fine and dandy. Like a snake and then when I got through that they said back through it. I asked them if they were high.