ABF | Is Implementation on its Way?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
It has to be over $20 hour because I am making $24.35 now and 85% of that would be $20.70. I also know that YRC employees received a raise back on April 1 while we have been at pay free since the contract expired. I am not sure but I believe YRC employees have recouped about 75% of the 15% pay reduction. And maybe all of it by this time (from what they were making at the time of the 15% cut).

The full hourly rate at YRC right now is 26.58, minus 15 percent, = 3.98. Hourly pay now at 22.60 in Central Region. May differ a bit in 705 and 710. 15 percent giveback is until April, 2015. Yearly raises given each April.

I don't turn the key for less than a grand. When my customer is drilling I can do this and more every day.
do it every day ?
Their is life after Yellow got out before all the _ _ it hit the fan . Took my 34 years and retired until I picked up this new hobby.
Got tired of mowing the lawn 4 times a week and washing the paint off the cars.
Could not have done it without a pension but these young punks just can't see down the road past their weekly pay check. Of course I did not see it either when I was a young know it all punk.
But what do I know ..................Stupid old fart with a bit of seniority that has a good bid and works their OT.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both were owner operators back in the mid 80’s. She was leased to Mercer and I was leased to Transus. Neither of us made enough money to survive on our own. So she went to cop school (I love reminding her of that, in that way) and I went to work for O.D. We both did better. I’m just saying Joe. These guy’s tell a story!
I was an OO at Jones lancer div I held a card until I quit there All Iam saying is That is not a big deal with flat or drop freight but you can't do it every day.

The full hourly rate at YRC right now is 26.58, minus 15 percent, = 3.98. Hourly pay now at 22.60 in Central Region. May differ a bit in 705 and 710. 15 percent giveback is until April, 2015. Yearly raises given each April.
$26.58 in Central States??? Why would they be at $2.00/hr more than the rest of us?

I always knew that there were small differences like $.05 between supplements in my area but never had any idea there would be that big a difference.

Sure. The guys sucking the life out of this company is the reason their even having to ask for 7%. If you do the math, in 5 years we retain the concessions plus a raise. With cameras intact, we will see how many clock suckers are disposed of so we can go back to full pay scàle. I think it's great about the cameras. If you doing your job, why even worry about a camera.

Well, you say, you work at one of the most profitable barns in the system? With a bunch of sorry ass lazy drivers? You pretty much tote the load...been there, what, 3 months? They must have been doing pretty good before you got there. Being fired, from any job is the very least of most professional driver's worries. A forward facing camera, that's ok...but, recording my phone calls, CB chatter, pickin' my nose...that's over the top...I voted for the contract....didn't like it...but, I felt like it was the thing to do. But, if any of you guys think that the day the Teamster's no longer represent at least some segment of LTL, that conditions at the non-unions will be any better, I have some swamp land for sale! Why did you come to a union line if all you see is gloom and doom? If Chicago wants to hold out to the bitter end, or even strike, that's there right! They may get that vacation back! If so, we may get ours back in five years. If the company gets a COO from the UNION to move your job, they won't ask your opinion, and seniority will prevail, now matter how sorry you think the senior man is! Until drivers all over this country realize that their CDL is their UNION CARD and demand higher wages for their professional services we will not see any improvement. Until Con-way, Fed-Ex, OD, walk the picket line it will continue to slide. But, I personally know good drivers from all companies, and they ALL tell me (with a whisper), I wish we were UNION! Eventually, these companies, especially those making the huge profits, will squeeze hard enough, and the drivers will realize that collectively they have power and will say enough is enough...I see a Wildcat Strike coming in the industry one of these days...Will the IBT be ready...I hope so! Pay your dues!

It is axiomatic, Brother Turncoat,...that the only time a non-Union driver thinks of joining a Union ,...is a half-hour after he's been fired, and a week after he's retired. You can't fault them for it,...it's a complicated world,...trying to feed a family,....having your employer actively trying to snuff out any Union activity,...keeping your opinions to yourself,...(or whispering them to a Union man....)...because you can't quite trust ALL of your fellow employees......Many guys follow the path of least resistance, and just keep their head down, and don't speak up. I was just asked about the legality of peddling with a 53'er by a friend of mine from FedEx.....He's going to argue with the terminal manager,....a young guy,..full of pride about his ability to do the job right,...legally. I gave him the laws,...the phone number for the Pa DMV,...ask for Publication 411........told him to be careful....(...I give him a few years.......they'll get rid of him. "Legality" gets in the way of profit...)

Yes I can ..
But you got to figure in the fuel,taxes,insurance and a investment of over $150.000.00 and NO benefits thats where my Teamster insurance helps out and the pension check covers the bills...
Oil field is a much different animal and I DON'T haul pipe ....
Not sitting around looking at load boards. Usually know a day or two in advance.
I was an OO at Jones lancer div I held a card until I quit there All Iam saying is That is not a big deal with flat or drop freight but you can't do it every day.
Just thought of another thing what do these non- union guys do for insurance when they retire ? O Bummer my kick in but I did not vote for the fool !

It is axiomatic, Brother Turncoat,...that the only time a non-Union driver thinks of joining a Union ,...is a half-hour after he's been fired, and a week after he's retired. You can't fault them for it,...it's a complicated world,...trying to feed a family,....having your employer actively trying to snuff out any Union activity,...keeping your opinions to yourself,...(or whispering them to a Union man....)...because you can't quite trust ALL of your fellow employees......Many guys follow the path of least resistance, and just keep their head down, and don't speak up. I was just asked about the legality of peddling with a 53'er by a friend of mine from FedEx.....He's going to argue with the terminal manager,....a young guy,..full of pride about his ability to do the job right,...legally. I gave him the laws,...the phone number for the Pa DMV,...ask for Publication 411........told him to be careful....(...I give him a few years.......they'll get rid of him. "Legality" gets in the way of profit...)
The driver shortage (guys and gals just don't want to do this as much anymore) and stricter regulations, I think will eventually help qualified CDL holder's command higher wages.... Will the Union be able to capitalize on the driver trends in the industry again..hopefully...Will Iran perfect an atomic bomb? That's unfortunately more likely...:Emoticon_digging:

Well, you say, you work at one of the most profitable barns in the system? With a bunch of sorry ass lazy drivers? You pretty much tote the load...been there, what, 3 months? They must have been doing pretty good before you got there. Being fired, from any job is the very least of most professional driver's worries. A forward facing camera, that's ok...but, recording my phone calls, CB chatter, pickin' my nose...that's over the top...I voted for the contract....didn't like it...but, I felt like it was the thing to do. But, if any of you guys think that the day the Teamster's no longer represent at least some segment of LTL, that conditions at the non-unions will be any better, I have some swamp land for sale! Why did you come to a union line if all you see is gloom and doom? If Chicago wants to hold out to the bitter end, or even strike, that's there right! They may get that vacation back! If so, we may get ours back in five years. If the company gets a COO from the UNION to move your job, they won't ask your opinion, and seniority will prevail, now matter how sorry you think the senior man is! Until drivers all over this country realize that their CDL is their UNION CARD and demand higher wages for their professional services we will not see any improvement. Until Con-way, Fed-Ex, OD, walk the picket line it will continue to slide. But, I personally know good drivers from all companies, and they ALL tell me (with a whisper), I wish we were UNION! Eventually, these companies, especially those making the huge profits, will squeeze hard enough, and the drivers will realize that collectively they have power and will say enough is enough...I see a Wildcat Strike coming in the industry one of these days...Will the IBT be ready...I hope so! Pay your dues!
Not to mention I'm just hearing and maybe learning that the ChiTown makes $2/hr more than the rest of us. Must be because they don't have a clue, eh?

The driver shortage (guys and gals just don't want to do this as much anymore) and stricter regulations, I think will eventually help qualified CDL holder's command higher wages.... Will the Union be able to capitalize on the driver trends in the industry again..hopefully...Will Iran perfect an atomic bomb? That's unfortunately more likely...:Emoticon_digging:
I've been expecting this for 20 years now but nowdays I see more and more immigrants driving truck every time I turn around...

We should've benefited this contract, Brother,...but the IBT fell flat on it's collective face,...and allowed ABF to have the sales force determine what a CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker driver is worth, instead of the marketplace. We are a commodity, now. I think one of the reasons Central bought Vitran,...if not the main reason,....is because of their employment list. Central couldn't hire anyone,..with their pay, equipment, conditions,...it's easier and cheaper to buy a company for the drivers, nowadays. During the stock market "crash",...and subsequent "recession" from 2008,....when you lost your factory job, you opened up the paper and saw 25 truckdriving jobs,...$50,000 a year,..$2000 sign-on bonus,...no NYC,...at least 25 trucking jobs,............and one minimum-wage dish-washing job. So,...you went truckdriving, and after a year,...hopefully before your divorce and bankruptcy,...you were wishing you had taken the dish-washing job. It was like that all through the "recession".....it was like that before the "recession",......it still is going on now,...only now that the economy is getting better,...there's a lot more jobs than just the dish-washing job,....and trucking. 90-100% turnover rates in entry-level trucking,....and it's been that way for,...how many years? And,...how much worse will it get as the economy gets better, and people start to turn their noses up at trucking jobs?....And,......once again,....Why did we take a pay cut?

I've been expecting this for 20 years now but nowdays I see more and more immigrants driving truck every time I turn around...

True,....but I see the insurance industry flexing their muscles on that issue as it expands and companies try to fill seats.

I don't turn the key for less than a grand. When my customer is drilling I can do this and more every day.

Their is life after Yellow got out before all the _ _ it hit the fan . Took my 34 years and retired until I picked up this new hobby.
Got tired of mowing the lawn 4 times a week and washing the paint off the cars.
Could not have done it without a pension but these young punks just can't see down the road past their weekly pay check. Of course I did not see it either when I was a young know it all punk.
But what do I know ..................Stupid old fart with a bit of seniority that has a good bid and works their OT.
So that would be no?