Holland | Is It Offtracking?

fly_by_night

TB Lurker
Credits
I used to Pull doubles. Now I pull a 53 footer.
When I Drive down the turn-pike the rear of
some trailers is too far over towards the side of the lane. Is this from the rear tandems being out of line? Is it an easy fix?:confused:

about 80% of the trailers i pull dog track, makes it tight going through construction zones, looks stupid going down the road too, they must get a deal on defected trailers

This may get a few laughs, but oh well. I worked in the city for 10 years and pulled my share of crappy trailers that "dog track". It can sometimes be caused by drivers that have "pinwheeled" a trailer that has alot of wear and slop in the sliding mechanism. It can be fixed sometimes by just pulling off somewhere and while at a slow roll 2-3 mph, giving the trailer brake handle a quick tug. Granted that is not always the solution but sometimes it solved some of it. Hope this helps. If it is a new trailer I would say right it up, as it could be out of alignment from the factory and could still be under warranty. Jim in the GR Garage has always been good about checking them out if he can get his hands on them.

dog tracking

Most of our crooked pulling trailers seem to pull to the right. My theory is most curb smacking is on right turns, which in turn knocks the front trailer axle back on the right side forcing the trailer in that direction. Seem to see it more on 53' and older units. Not sure but think when it's really off, the shop has to jack up the rear, measure from the pin and re-align everything.

BuzzBeez said:
Most of our crooked pulling trailers seem to pull to the right. My theory is most curb smacking is on right turns, which in turn knocks the front trailer axle back on the right side forcing the trailer in that direction. Seem to see it more on 53' and older units. Not sure but think when it's really off, the shop has to jack up the rear, measure from the pin and re-align everything.

I don't think hitting curbs has much effect on them untill the suspension is almost worn out.
Otherwise every pothole you hit would knock it crooked:smile1: :smile1:

They posted a note by the dispatch window about the new great danes having an alignment problem from the factory and to write them up so they could be fixed under warranty.

53' And ot of wack axle's

I'm a city driver, and I think I speak for most of my compatriates. Keep the 53' out of the city and the axle's won't get turned. Damn thing's wern't made to handle city situation's anyway.

There really isn't a need to keep the 53's out of the cities, as long as the driver is not afraid to stand up to a dispatcher when using his judgement as to where he can or can not access with the 53'. I drove the city for 10 years before transferring to the road and I preferred the 53' for the extra volume, but my dispatcher knew that I would not take it in anywhere that I saw as to tight for the trailer.

53's

I'm a city driver, and I think I speak for most of my compatriates. Keep the 53' out of the city and the axle's won't get turned. Damn thing's wern't made to handle city situation's anyway.

Smurf I'm with you BROTHER!!!:1036316054: !!! 53's have no bussiness being used in the city for anything else then 1 del. and 1 p/u. Volume only. I've noticed that when truching co's used smaller trailers there were minimal scrapes, dents, dings, rips and accidents or should I say incidents.Now I see alot of 53's that are fairly new that are beat up real bad. Give me a pup or a 40 X 102 wide and leave me alone.:smilie_132:

I kinda agree with Doogie.
I My run is not supposed to have a 53 on it because of th tight streets in the town. But I know it well and as long as they don't put one of the few places that are too tight on it I don't mind. And the dispatcher knows not to send me to one of those places because I won't go in.