ODFL | Is it slow???

Yeah maybe they have had a container division for at least 11 years. When they bought UW a inland port came with the deal. Also have heard some other things going on.

Do you work for yellow or Conway

Anyway yellow has a actual operation in China with their own delivery trucks. Not real sure what that is about. Really though unless you have you own people delivering to the door in foreign countries you are basically just a consolidator -- forwarder with overseas agents. Anybody that can get the correct license can do that.

Od probably mostly just offers inbound and out bound container delivery service to the consignee in the US. It is probably up to the customer to make arraignments with the international shipping company

GBO has done ok so far but i think we have just a fue too many drivers. Last week all i could get was apx 40 hrs whyle 2 weeks before was apx 59 hrs

it varies...but whatcha going to do.

no lay offs

GBO has done ok so far but i think we have just a fue too many drivers. Last week all i could get was apx 40 hrs whyle 2 weeks before was apx 59 hrs

it varies...but whatcha going to do.

Yeah,but you know how it works.At O.D. no lay offs,we all starve together.Freight has its peaks and valleys,when it's on a peak you have got to get all you can to make it thru the valleys.I know it's hard to do but when you're making money,save money.Your kids will grow up and move out,you'll get your house paid for,and believe it or not that will be your money sitting in the bank.It just takes saving,hard work ,and time.

Sheltered life

We've heard rumors of layoffs at Indy, any truth to it?
Many cancelled schedules of late, team and single.

I have never heard of O.D.laying off but I lead a very sheltered life.Times change and people change,I've just never heard of it.

I have never heard of O.D.laying off but I lead a very sheltered life.Times change and people change,I've just never heard of it.

I'd never heard of it either which is why I classified it as a rumor. Seeing how all they have to do is starve out the bottom of the list I don't see how or why they would lay off. Besides if there was a real layoff it would mean the bottom would be getting unemployment while the middle worked sporadiaclly to make the same. I'd like to know how the new hires are going to fare when it slows down after Thanksgiving? They finally posted a notice on the door that they're not taking any more applications. They are still training the last of the new hires.

I don't understand how this slow deal isn't affecting the market?
Inflation is down, Oil is at june 2005 prices, unemployment is below 5%, the fed is expected to hold interest rates where they are and probably bring them down early next year. Consumer confidence is shaky but with oil coming down it should improve. factory orders are up. Inventors are confident that we have avoided a recession with the recent interest rate hikes. Also they feel their will be gridlock in Washington that the business unfriendly democrats will not weld a big stick. They like gridlock.
Keep in mind that the Dow is a very narrow index of 20 very large companies that probably make all the ltl companies together look very small. If the Dow had followed its traditional course it would be 13000 to 18000 investors had been following the trends and more speculative stocks. When oil went up, housing went down and the market dipped this year investors might have looked for more secure dividend paying stocks bringing the DOW Jones average up. Many other indexes provide a better view of the overall or broader market. Such as the S&P 500. Basically if you believe in todays market theory all securities at auction go for their fair market value. The Dow should go even higher and it should reach its fair value fairly soon barring a bad world event.

I read a article that suggested that the reason the Xmas season ended so soon for the LTLs was because many shippers found ways to move their product by rail and truckload thus saving money. I think this is possible at least partially due to UPS pulling out of shipping by rail. UPS had exclusive contracts with the railroads that gave them preference over all other shippers thus putting the railroads that were full up till now in position to handle other freight. UPS shipped a lot by rail. I am sure this is not all their is to this. I also see it as possibly just another of many swings in the transportation business and that the big rise in the LTL sector is over. The housing market is expected to be down for at least a year so it might be a lean spring to.