TForce | IS SAFETY WORKING IN YOUR BARN?

Inconsistent. Our current safe driver of the month who gets to park in front of the doors instead of behind the fence line has been there for 4 months..I got a red card (which got ripped up) 8 months ago for not wearing my seatbelt in the yard. I still have not worn my seatbelt in the yard and have not gotten another one since. (BTW,I always wear my seatbelt once I am off UPS property)

My wife got into an accident a few years ago and it saved her life!!! So off property at faster than 15 MPH its on all the time....

If safety is or is not working is up to us. Not up to the company or any type of enforcement they may choose.
Safe by choice not by chance
Work safe Make money, It is up to us not them, they just lay the groundwork
Get out of the "overnitis" train of hurry hurrry hurry
Take Care
Be safe
:thumbsup:

From what I read here,it's the TMs' inconsistancies that affect safety. Ours is really into the whole "four pillars" philosophy. He is fair without being a real pr***. The only guys who get into trouble are the ones who've been getting into it since the big"o" days. The real sad thing is that the"co." will not spend ANY money to improve the conditions(which are unsafe) at our facility.
The front stoop just fell apart and the canopy over it is pulling away from the building,ready to collapse at any minute.
The yard is so full of deep potholes that the speed limit is a crawl. A plant engineer I talked to was disgusted by the lack of action by the"co." and it just keeps going on..... Sad for a company that has a multi billion dollar profit in it's first quarter....

[quote author=trucker69orso link=topic=79664.msg826088#msg826088 date=1272720404]
From what I read here,it's the TMs' inconsistancies that affect safety. Ours is really into the whole "four pillars" philosophy. He is fair without being a real pr***. The only guys who get into trouble are the ones who've been getting into it since the big"o" days. The real sad thing is that the"co." will not spend ANY money to improve the conditions(which are unsafe) at our facility.
The front stoop just fell apart and the canopy over it is pulling away from the building,ready to collapse at any minute.
The yard is so full of deep potholes that the speed limit is a crawl. A plant engineer I talked to was disgusted by the lack of action by the"co." and it just keeps going on..... Sad for a company that has a multi billion dollar profit in it's first quarter....
[/quote]

I think potholes are a UPS Freight mainstay. Every yard that I have been to has "huge" potholes.

Safety has been working for for me for the last 30 or so years. Safety worked even in the days before the safety vest, seat belts in yards, pulling the key every time I exit the vehicle, blowing the horn when backing and 4 way flashers on all the time in the yard. Even with all these "improvements" to safety, I still know what's around me in the yard. Plus the eyes in the back of my head still do their job.

The thing about the safety practices is that using the horn will become so common that it won't be affective. The same holds true for vests etc. It's a practice to appease the Insurance co. and get better rates.It's true you can't teach common sense, but come on!!!...Common sense goes a long way... not regulation and punishment.

[quote author=Hosslove link=topic=79664.msg826245#msg826245 date=1272754971]
:buttkisser: Wow you sound like a good candidate for management. :buttkisser:
[/quote]

Not sure if that's directed at me or who ever. Regardless, the so called improvements to saftey do nothing if a person is not paying attention to what they are doing. And anyone else around them is doing. If that means I am management material so be it. First time in my life I have been told I am qualified lmao.

In our monday am safety meeting, our tm talked about us eating right. spent 30 min talkin about something that has nothing to do with pu and delv frt in my opinion. if they dont get some skids on these pups i aint gonna be able to afford to eat anything. maybe next monday , he can tell us the virtues and advantages of eating gruel and maybe hand out some recipes for flour and water.

Safety meetings. HAHAHAHAHA..our meeting this week was about going out and getting sales leads. Then we can log on to UPSERS and buy things...Which is cool. But, I have 19 stops in 7 hours.. I dont have time to collect sales leads...

If thats the case I want a NICE company truck...not a 1992 white/volvo/gmc with almost 2 million miles on it...

We got the whole gotta eat right talk on Monday. Ibamars, we are lucky I guess. Since we have a POS fleet at my terminal, we mostly drive rentals. Some of those are nice, and then some are just ok. Anything is better than the frigging Ford on our yard.

[quote author=lostcausenjtown link=topic=79664.msg827168#msg827168 date=1273039633]
We got the whole gotta eat right talk on Monday. Ibamars, we are lucky I guess. Since we have a POS fleet at my terminal, we mostly drive rentals. Some of those are nice, and then some are just ok. Anything is better than the frigging Ford on our yard.
[/quote]

i use to love this....we got this from our OM who was literally about 400 lbs and a supervisor who was ATLEAST 430 lbs

they both got fired recently

both our operations managers are gone to. One stepped down to supervisor and they asked the other one to step down and he refused to, so UPS fired him.

Funny thing. After this post was put up earlier on in the week. We didnt have an official safety meeting but we had 3 things to sign to show we had a safety meeting. We watched a Hazmat video, we were told about shoes and I forgot what the other thing was. But kind of ironic. I guess management really does read these boards...

This week, I heard of the 3rd and 4th driver to fall off a trailer while shutting the door on an empty. The trailers were in the yard. Is it really that hard to pull the door down after the trailer is emptied and swept out? I know this is really a minor issue compared to wearing our safety vests (which did not prevent these falls from happening). Shutting and latching would prevent these falls plus keep the rollers in better working shape. I'll now go back to shutting up and driving.

I gave a few small suggestions for safety and the answer I got from my safety guys is that "They won't do that because it will cost money and they don't have money to spend..." WTF??? I was told that safety has no dollar limit!!! I think that our safety guys have been under some desks too long!!!

I hate to say but it seems all it takes is one time for an accident to happen and the next thing you know they pay to repair it. Does anyone thing that wearing a safety vest on the dock is aafextive in preventing accidents.