Reddaway | Is the Tacoma terrminal wanting to join the Teamsters?

Fthemwithasmile

TB Lurker
Credits
A bunch of rumors going through the system about how the Tacoma workers have finally had enough and are wanting to talk to the Local union again. Probably not true since the company has scared and intimidated them into thinking that it can't be any better. It can and would be better if they would make the phone call.

I understand that Tacoma benefits package will take a big hit should they decide to join the Union. Also I also have heard that a lot of their drivers are retired or former union drivers. How true either of these are I really dont know, just info I got from some of those who work there. Although, personally I dont see what the advantage would be by Tacoma going union. As a former member of the union, I dont feel they represented me at all, just their own personal agendas. I asked for support once, and (1) never got it, and (2) never got a response from the Union rep that I spoke with, in fact never saw him again, so had to ask a shop stewart who after a lot of searching got me the answer. So, as you can tell I have a real sour taste in my mouth. Anyway, I dont see Tacoma becoming union. And if they are smart they wont either.

One of the benefits I lost when our barn went union was short/long term disabilitythat Reddaway provides to non-union employees, the union contract did not provide for it and Colorado does not have State disability so for a few months I was left with 0 income after being diagnosed with leukemia. When I asked my union business agent about it I was told they had not negotiated it and to write it down for the next round of negotiations.....4 years later they still dont have it. Try buying it on your own AFTER being diagnosed with cancer.....not! I dont really care anymore which way any barn votes but READ THE CONTRACT WORD FOR WORD compare benefits and make an educated decision that is right for YOU and dont believe anythingyou hear on either side without looking at what has been signed for on the contract. In our case IMO......we lost more than we gained

What kind of 401k or retirement benefit does the company provide for the Tacoma workers? My understanding is zero. From what we were told the company won't be contributing anything for the nons for the foreseeable future.

What kind of 401k or retirement benefit does the company provide for the Tacoma workers? My understanding is zero. From what we were told the company won't be contributing anything for the nons for the foreseeable future.

I do believe that you are right. Neither the union nor the non-union side is getting any contributions to any retirement benefit. Hoffa allowed YRC to stop payment on retirement as they are too big to fail, as for the Non union side Yrc decided they needed it to survive. When it will all return is not known, for the union side at least not until this contract is over, which they voted for the loss. As for the non union, whenever YRC decides to give that benefit back.

Just an FYI, but the union folks are getting 25% of their old pension rate put into a 401k. That is what was voted on and agreed to in the YRC restructuring plan.

Just an FYI, but the union folks are getting 25% of their old pension rate put into a 401k. That is what was voted on and agreed to in the YRC restructuring plan.

Again you could be right. Although I do know that the union side voted, in 2010 or 2011, in their contract to allow YRC to not pay into their retirement. I believe it was for the length of the contract. Although, the union rank and file in the Seattle/Portland area did not agree to the taking of their retirement money until the contract of 2010 or 2011. Before that it was permitted, in breach of the existing contract, by Hoffa and his band and voted 'NO" by the Seattle/Portland union members.

Everything you said is correct. I will find my copy of the restructuring plan and let you know the article number where it says the 25% came back in the form of the 401k.

If the 25% or anything comes back in a 401K, that is a whole new retirement plan for the union guys. Or at least the Seattle terminal, dont know what plan the others were on. The Seattle terminal was on the Teamsters trust, or somethin like that, which is through the Teamsters. But then again what do I know.

Section 4(a) of the YRC Restructuring plan calls for 25% of the pension rate to commence on June 1, 2011. So, per this agreement all Teamsters should be getting that 25%.

Hey Driver, I know that we still have short term disability (6-months) in our Southeastern Region contract. Our contract changes every few years now, and things get released fron Central States without any fanfare, which causes us not to know it doesn't exist until we need it. I found it out the hard way after surgery(but God still provided). Unlike the Teamsters, Central States, and YRC, God is always the same, Strong, On Time, and Trustworthy. Long term disability was one of the first things Central States canceled when they were put into critical status.

Last edited by a moderator: