It can't be true, can it??

Fthemwithasmile

TB Lurker
Credits
Rumor has it that Oak Harbor wants to offer their employees the option of how to spend increases. Meaning that if the company negotiated a $1.00 raise across the baord the employee could choose where to put that $1.00, into wages, pension and H&W and allow them to change the amounts at will. Is this an accurate rumor?? Are they insane??? How could they manage such a setup? What would happen if an employee choose to put all or most into wages and then that employee had an accident and couldn't work and had no way to pay for his treatment? Would they just say sorry it was your choice?? This is ridiculous!!! That is why the unions bargain this stuff FOR THE MEMBERS. So the members have these protections. I hope the employees of Oak harbor see the light and realize that this is not in their best interests.

It sounds like you are saying that the employee is too stupid to manage their own money, to determine how much insurance they need, how much they want to put into retirement, how much they need in monthly income and that they should have a union to do make these decisions for them.

An OAKH driver said it very well the other day when he said "Just because you have a union card does not mean you have to stop thinking for yourself".

I think employees are much smarter than you give them credit for and can manage their own finances very well.

come on what we need is the communist system, right?we need someone else to make our decisions for us, right?and then we need someone to tell us how to fix it, right? Dipstick is right we need to learn how to think for ourselves and make decisions on our own if presented with the option and live with the positive or negative results.It is the only way we learn to do _not better_but right.

That is not what I am saying and I apologize if I misrepresented my opinion. What I meant was that the younger generation tends (not everybody but I would say a majority) to want as much in wages as possible and would rather sacrifice security for that. In some instances it may work out but in many it probably won't. The younger generation generally is not concerned with their future. They think they will never get sick, have an accident and that retirement is too far away to worry about now. There are too many instances of this type of situation not working out. The great thing about the Teamster Pension is that many of us can retire while we can still have a long happy life without worrying about where our next check is coming from. I can retire at 54 with full benefits. Something I could not be able to do unless I was putting into my pension from day one. The longer you wait the longer you wait to retire. Health and Welfare costs keep rising and having the security of knowing I pay no out of pocket for the next ___ (fill in the blank) years is a reassuring feeling that I and the majority enjoy. I am glad that there were others that came before me to show me the way and I DID NOT have the options as described above. If I did who knows where I would be now.

Rumor has it that Oak Harbor wants to offer their employees the option of how to spend increases. Meaning that if the company negotiated a $1.00 raise across the baord the employee could choose where to put that $1.00, into wages, pension and H&W and allow them to change the amounts at will. Is this an accurate rumor?? Are they insane??? How could they manage such a setup?

I doubt they intend to, more than likely they are putting this out there as a ploy to divide the membership, most people will see this for what it is. Wages are what the company wants, it makes it easier for them to recruit drivers. H&W is not an option and shouldn't even be on the table, the union would not be looking out for the well being of the members if they were to entertain something that would jeopardize the heath of the membership.

It sounds like you are saying that the employee is too stupid to manage their own money, to determine how much insurance they need, how much they want to put into retirement, how much they need in monthly income and that they should have a union to do make these decisions for them.

An OAKH driver said it very well the other day when he said "Just because you have a union card does not mean you have to stop
thinking for yourself".

I think employees are much smarter than you give them credit for and can manage their own finances very well.

Should someone really have to decide if they want medical benefits, or they want a retirement, so they can make the mortgage payment? Who would want to have to make a decision like that? I would rather have all of them, putting you health care on the block like this yet again shows the companies arrogance and lack of compassion for the employee's.

I think that by sticking together the OHFL employees will be able to achieve significant wage increases, hopefully some pension and definitly maintain the full MOB on medical care allot of smart people chose to work union for the security these benefits provide.

I doubt a driver even said that, one should carefully scrutinize Dipsticks motivation, he is not effected by this change directly, he is not a labor employee. He hates unions and he knows, like Braun knows, you can fool some people by adding an emotional element.

"The Union thinks your stupid, and you can't think for yourself, poor Oak Harbor just wants to give its employees a helping hand, but the big bad Teamsters won't let us" This is not about personal responsibility, its called union busting, and they employ some very skilled lawyers to help them with this, sticking together is the smartest thing an OHFL employee can do, going it alone they will chew you up and spit you out.

come on what we need is the communist system, right?we need someone else to make our decisions for us, right?and then we need someone to tell us how to fix it, right? Dipstick is right we need to learn how to think for ourselves and make decisions on our own if presented with the option and live with the positive or negative results.It is the only way we learn to do _not better_but right.

These aren't exactly Marxist ideals well I guess they kind of are but whats so wrong with working together for the good of the group?; they are members of a labor union, collectively the membership will look at this offer laugh and decide to shoot it down. They have a choice to be represented, they choose who represents them, they choose where they work, they make the contract proposals. They have all made good decisions so far they have a good pay, good medical benefits, and a pension.

You work for OD, I was told they don't pay OT until the 47th hour, looks like the OHFL guys already made better decisions than you, maybe you can learn from that. Dipstick is a company thug spewing propaganda at every opportunity, when we turn fifty we will have plenty of decisions to make like Hawaii or Fiji? You'll probably be begging you boss for that 48th hour.

If you translate the alphas of "DMTORL" from the Swahili Indigenious language,it means"Man who drink from Korporate Kool-Aid Jar" What a tool! Unions communistic.I guess it's been a while since the Kommisars came to my door and forced a gun to my head saying I must join zee union! This guy does'nt even understand the basics of Collective Bargaining.I think i'll avoid talking directly to him here on out because it reminds me of #$rking off with a cheese grater,Slightly amusing,but mostly painful.

Love,
Freightpunk

Well I have seen it for myself. The questions I have asked at the beginning of this thread are actually true. Joke Harbor has a DVD out that tells their employees that they are committed to letting them make the choices of where they will EACH put their economic package. They are pushing the envelope again. How much do they think these guys will take?

I think the company is on the border of direct bargaining with the employees and that is a no no!!! Do you smell a ULP petition?
It would serve them right.

I have heard that a ULP is in the works. That is great news because when and if the guys hit the streets I don't think Joke Harbor will be able to replace them if a ULP is filed.

An OAKH driver said it very well the other day when he said "Just because you have a union card does not mean you have to stop thinking for yourself".

If yo do not like working for the company then go somewhere else... geeeeeeeh
get a life already

Choices? what choices,here,you now have to pay for your health care,what if I wnat the company to pay for it,is that in the choices? Truckin' Joe,you obviously are a dolt by posting the exact same post on two different threads because your just like the company,lie it into the truth.:toxic:

Not only did he post the exact same post in two different threads. but he plagerized dipsticks post without even quoting him.

dolt, I like that

Not only did he post the exact same post in two different threads. but he plagerized dipsticks post without even quoting him.

dolt, I like that

Well in truth what dipstick stated was worth repeating :)

Choices? what choices,here,you now have to pay for your health care,what if I wnat the company to pay for it,is that in the choices? Truckin' Joe,you obviously are a dolt by posting the exact same post on two different threads because your just like the company,lie it into the truth.:toxic:

No not a dolt, just someone who understands what is going on and not trying to make something it is not. It is not a lie just the truth. Sorry you are having such a hard time understanding the consept freightpunk. :duh: