ABF | It has to be so, cause RB says so

ABF has a lot of older employees. When these employees retire, ABF is going to be in a bind. All that experience and willingness to work will go with them, And most of the younger People in Management and touch labor positions are not able or willing to fill the void left by these older workers. This will be ABF's undoing
You're wrong about this.
By the time ABF's older people retire, we'll have an app for the phone that will do all the work.
No one is better at punching phone buttons than the younger crowd.

There will be clues. Longer tractor service intervals, smaller tire banks at large terminals and none at the smaller ones. Fewer mechanics. Keeping power units longer and putting more miles on them. Combining terminals to create more direct load opportunities and reduce breakbulk costs. Meet turns leading to all turns to reduce and eliminate motels and layover expense.
Same with the dock operation. Older forklifts with less maintenance. Ragged yard horses. No building maintenance. Lights out that don't get fixed. No cardboard dunnage. Potholes in the yards and an end to snow removal.
Before there was Yellow-Roadway Corp., Big R sold nearly all their pups to a leasing company and then rented them back. They created an infusion of cash out of thin air.
We have differing opinions, but you are a smart guy. Pay attention and you will see it slowly creeping up on you.
Our terminal just got repaved and all of the potholes fixed, plenty of dunnage too much actually, new trailers rolling in everyday I mean hundreds of trailers brand new. Hmm so end times are not near

Which Yellow Freight terminal is that? :hide::hilarious:
If Yellow was as innovative as ABF they would only need a few trailers like these that ABF is testing out..
Guess Well Done GIF

Just do like me and buy goats. Mowing problem solved. Just watch where you step. LOL!!!
Hey, with goats you don't have to walk the dog or let her out. Less stepping on your part. And now you can't justify the 12 grand you want to spend on a zero turn mower. More money for the wife's Amazon shopping trips. von.

If Yellow was as innovative as ABF they would only need a few trailers like these that ABF is testing out..
Guess Well Done GIF
Just a single? We are hooking sets of these new trailers. Backing the gear can be a pain in butt though. We have already had three road drivers pass out from heat exhaustion just doing the walk around pre-trip on a set of these. I wonder if they are running triples of these trailers out west? LOL!!!

That is absolutely what I am saying. The playing field was level. Deregulation had the same rules for everyone. The basic evolutionary standard is adapt or die. Survival of the fittest is exactly what happened to the 600+ failures. ABF has adapted to deregulation since the 80s and they continue to do so every day. That is superior management of resources. ABF is the only viable union carrier still standing so, yes, they are the superstar.
Management is not "an employee just like me". Management personnel must prove their worth every minute of every day. They have no grievance procedure. They can easily be replaced if they underperform.
Why did I never take a management job at Preston? I was offered West Middlesex linehaul manager twice as well as safety supervisor and regional human resources director. I turned them all down because I never knew if the offers were a recognition of my talents and abilities or a way to get rid of me.
BTW: The day after Preston closed the doors, Yellow in Cleveland hired 50 Preston linehaul drivers. Why do you think Yellow would hire a 50 year old with 21 years in Teamster leadership? Not only did they hire me, I was the first of the 50 to punch in. The leadership of locals 261 and 249 respected me enough to make that happen. I must have been a very good steward.
What I read in this post is ....don't follow Razorblade to your next job, because the company will close or go into bankruptcy!!!!!

There will be clues. Longer tractor service intervals, smaller tire banks at large terminals and none at the smaller ones. Fewer mechanics. Keeping power units longer and putting more miles on them. Combining terminals to create more direct load opportunities and reduce breakbulk costs. Meet turns leading to all turns to reduce and eliminate motels and layover expense.
Same with the dock operation. Older forklifts with less maintenance. Ragged yard horses. No building maintenance. Lights out that don't get fixed. No cardboard dunnage. Potholes in the yards and an end to snow removal.
Before there was Yellow-Roadway Corp., Big R sold nearly all their pups to a leasing company and then rented them back. They created an infusion of cash out of thin air.
We have differing opinions, but you are a smart guy. Pay attention and you will see it slowly creeping up on you.
Well ::shit:: if thats your standards then ABF will be in business forever. Lets see when I started in 08 they were holding tractors to 800000. Now the most we have is 600000 and most are auto. Just got a bunch of new trailers and another brand new liftgate pup this week. So were doing just fine BY YOUR STANDARDS so move on hater and I will keep my platinum health care. Been hearing this same BS by haters since I started. By the way just took my 3rd kid for braces last week. ALL free Thank YOU Teamsters and ABF.

ABF has a lot of older employees. When these employees retire, ABF is going to be in a bind. All that experience and willingness to work will go with them, And most of the younger People in Management and touch labor positions are not able or willing to fill the void left by these older workers. This will be ABF's undoing
The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Blah Blah Blah. Don't worry US lazy younger guys do a great job.

Ok Hypocrites (pronounced hip/pock/ruh/tees). ABF is still financial strong because they are very innovative. U-Pak, ReloCube, Mobile Platform, etc., are all ABF originals. U-pak and ReloCube are extremely profitable for ABF (ArcBest). And if they finally get the Mobile Platform program operating like they want, it is going to decrease the transit time for long haul freight dramatically. That is why ABF is financial stable because they are not afraid to try something new. And it usually works.
You continue to make my case.
Who is "they"? Who are the innovators?
Could it be that "they" are the "decent / satisfactory" management?
Innovation is forward thinking at the senior level that is implemented by superior management at the mid and entry levels.

It has to be so cause RB says so.
Eventually, you always come to realize that and your posts confirm it.

What does it even matter to you? Your supposed to be retired, don't know what side of the fence you retired from but it's no concern of yours....
There it is again. The reason for the failure of 600+ union carriers is always in the background. In the free market, post deregulation, competitive trucking industry, successful companies remove the fence.
Only the Teamster members have an us against them mentality. I said members because the union leadership knows better. Seen any strikes lately? There is a thread somewhere about what happened to our union. Here is what happened: the union chose not to put it's members out of work by striking the employers. In order to do that, the union reps on grievance committees had to agree with employers or risk a deadlock that could force them into a work stoppage.

Last edited:
There it is again. The reason for the failure of 600+ union carriers is always in the background. In the free market, post deregulation, competitive trucking industry, successful companies remove the fence.
Only the Teamster members have an us against them mentality. I said members because the union leadership knows better. Seen any strikes lately? There is a thread somewhere about what happened to our union. Here is what happened: the union chose not to put it's members out of work by striking the employers. In order to do that, the union reps on grievance committees had to agree with employers or risk a deadlock that could force them into a work stoppage.
So you claim your union? Wtf is wrong with you? Go back to making your millions on Wall Street like you claimed you did….

Innovation is forward thinking at the senior level that is implemented by superior management at the mid and entry levels.

One question you didn't answer (out of many)...does integrity mean anything to you? You can't seem to grasp why I won't call them superior... good, yes but not superior....and perhaps you should read post #27

The only case that you have made that I can tell, is that you always took the companies side on most everything. Even if it went against contract. I would bet you never even put in a contract proposal for fear of upsetting your employer. Blade, I’ve got to ask you, what was the point of you joining the Union if you were going to be on the companies side on everything and accept whatever the company said or did? Have you ever even filed a grievance against your precious Preston on behalf of yourself or a co-worker?

The only case that you have made that I can tell, is that you always took the companies side on most everything. Even if it went against contract. I would bet you never even put in a contract proposal for fear of upsetting your employer. Blade, I’ve got to ask you, what was the point of you joining the Union if you were going to be on the companies side on everything and accept whatever the company said or did? Have you ever even filed a grievance against your precious Preston on behalf of yourself or a co-worker?
I'm sure in his 30 years he will come up with one or two things.....disturbing in a 30 year career.....if he even answers you...he is like a child, he gets mesmerized by shiny things, or in his case one word.....decent...even when he apparently doesn't understand what that word means.....over the course of many posts I have asked him numerous questions to only have him zero in on one word....I have one word for that.....pathetic....