ABF | It has to be so, cause RB says so

Just a single? We are hooking sets of these new trailers. Backing the gear can be a pain in butt though. We have already had three road drivers pass out from heat exhaustion just doing the walk around pre-trip on a set of these. I wonder if they are running triples of these trailers out west? LOL!!!
the pre trip on that set up would put me out of hours before i even left the yard

There will be clues. Longer tractor service intervals, smaller tire banks at large terminals and none at the smaller ones. Fewer mechanics. Keeping power units longer and putting more miles on them. Combining terminals to create more direct load opportunities and reduce breakbulk costs. Meet turns leading to all turns to reduce and eliminate motels and layover expense.
Same with the dock operation. Older forklifts with less maintenance. Ragged yard horses. No building maintenance. Lights out that don't get fixed. No cardboard dunnage. Potholes in the yards and an end to snow removal.
Before there was Yellow-Roadway Corp., Big R sold nearly all their pups to a leasing company and then rented them back. They created an infusion of cash out of thin air.
We have differing opinions, but you are a smart guy. Pay attention and you will see it slowly creeping up on you.
RB, ABF has been doing all that for years already. But you may eventually be correct. Robert Young is out of the picture now, and even a stopped clock is correct twice a day... BTW, how does a 100 million $ purchase of a logistics company factor into your thinking? Do you remember the Carolina buyout? Come out from under your chickenhouse, the sky ain't falling.

So let me get this straight. You are judging the success of management based on being able to recover and survive after a merger? We were told that after the ABF/Carolina merger that at one point, ABF was just three weeks away from meeting payroll. That is how close ABF came to shutting the doors because of this merger. That being said, you are now stating that recovering from this merger was a success and it was because of superior management. If that is the case, then Yellow must have four times more superior management than ABF as they managed to survive four different mergers (5 companies combined) within a four to five year period and are still in business 13 years later. Blade, In the future, please use more common sense before posting. I am going to be nice on this one and let you off the hook.
The Carolina Buyout/ merger was Dave Stubblefield's idea. He later apologized to Robert Young for that. And yes they were 3 weeks away from not making payroll. Mr Young, being the class act he was, told him it was ok, just learn from it and move on. The Razorback Aquisitions hostile takeover attempt in 1987-88 was where ABF senior leadership really shined. They asked for a 15% wage giveback to buy their controlling stock interest back from the market, and we rejected it. Mr Young said thank you for considering it and they would find a way to get it done anyway. And they did! They all took out personal loans to buy the stock necessary to give them 51% control back and stop Razorback cold! They were all a class act, no doubt about it. Somehow, I just don't see Judy amongst that group. If it sounds like I have a lot of admiration for Robert Young, well yes, I do! There is an ocean of difference between an idiot like Bill Zollars at Yellow, a quitter like Bill Ringsby and Bill Shurtleff at Time-DC and a lion of the industry like Robert Young. What your friends at Old Dominion have, RB, is that they have the luxury of being mediocre in their management style. Robert Young did not, but he succeeded anyway. ABF would do well to remember that. Thanks for letting me use your post to say that, Stew.

Last edited:
RB, ABF has been doing all that for years already. But you may eventually be correct. Robert Young is out of the picture now, and even a stopped clock is correct twice a day... BTW, how does a 100 million $ purchase of a logistics company factor into your thinking? Do you remember the Carolina buyout? Come out from under your chickenhouse, the sky ain't falling.
Razorblade isn't going to answer you as he has"given up" trying to teach the unteachable union ABF employees ....LMAO......he is flabbergasted that we would even think of asking for more from a profitable company and we should consider cuts come next contract....

Just a single? We are hooking sets of these new trailers. Backing the gear can be a pain in butt though. We have already had three road drivers pass out from heat exhaustion just doing the walk around pre-trip on a set of these. I wonder if they are running triples of these trailers out west? LOL!!!
They can't if the OAL is over 105 feet. My guess is they want to get away from the seasonal fluctuations of triples and move nearly the same freight volume year around nationwide.

Have you seen the ABF forum? Have you seen the "something to go after in the next contract" thread. A hole forum dedicated to it's never enough. We must kill the golden goose.
Why are employees doing their job worried about handhelds and cameras?
UE drivers working and being paid for every minute is a problem? Overtime hourly pay is a bad thing?
You do realize that when paid by the mile, every mile you drive costs the company less money. Fixed benefit costs don't change. After weekly mileage pay equals the 40 hour pay, the driver costs are cut in half. Something less than 1500 miles pays all your benefits and you get no overtime for the remaining miles. ABF loves the wheel board. The more you work, the less it costs per mile.
I gotta admit RB, you do make your points on occasion. Your reference to a "hole" forum did spook me a little though...

Care to explain how ABF is doomed? I can’t wait to hear this one from the great Hypocrites.
I worked 38 years at 2 companies, the last 24 years with Yellow. ABF is in by far better shape than Yellow and their demise “HAS BEEN CERTAIN AND GUARANTEED “ by all of the non-CEO truck drivers in America. 2008 was their final year per the elite truck drivers from every other company. Yet, here they stand 13 years later holding tight and still supplying paychecks to 40 thousand employees. ABF is in good shape for a long time. I have never understood why anyone would get happiness watching other people become unemployed, except that the hearts of some people are just so hard and or non-existent.

WOW, pay 10K plus in taxes and HAVE someone mow your lawn?
And I thought I had a lavish lifestyle!
We had a crew of three mow our land in 30 minutes over a few acres twice monthly. 100 flat. He is already there anyway mowing a neighbor in 40 minutes for a little more in those days.

Some people treat that as a lavish luxury, we were in chemo at the time and totally occupied with being sick or dealing with sick. Grass was a annoyance then. So it was no problem having a crew drive a very strong fast dixie cutter over everything. Zoom cut. done.

When I cut it with our crappy 20 horse sears rider, its 5 hours of agony. We go through a engine block every 5 years doing essentially field cutting. People cut grass. Thats fine. We cut fields. One year we partnered with a cattle farm to harvest bales, big round ones from our lands. Turns out the effort he went through to harvest and roll up the grass etc breaks even. There is no profit or savings for him. If there was then the fields would be a producer rather than a money pit in gasoline and new engines etc every so often.

However for the time we lived there he was always welcome to get a roll if he needed to at any time. Its kind of hard to get a roll when you cut the place every so often.

We had a crew of three mow our land in 30 minutes over a few acres twice monthly. 100 flat. He is already there anyway mowing a neighbor in 40 minutes for a little more in those days.

Some people treat that as a lavish luxury, we were in chemo at the time and totally occupied with being sick or dealing with sick. Grass was a annoyance then. So it was no problem having a crew drive a very strong fast dixie cutter over everything. Zoom cut. done.

When I cut it with our crappy 20 horse sears rider, its 5 hours of agony. We go through a engine block every 5 years doing essentially field cutting. People cut grass. Thats fine. We cut fields. One year we partnered with a cattle farm to harvest bales, big round ones from our lands. Turns out the effort he went through to harvest and roll up the grass etc breaks even. There is no profit or savings for him. If there was then the fields would be a producer rather than a money pit in gasoline and new engines etc every so often.

However for the time we lived there he was always welcome to get a roll if he needed to at any time. Its kind of hard to get a roll when you cut the place every so often.
Care to share the name of your pharmacist? Those are some good drugs to keep you coming up with those stories

UNSOLICITED ADVICE

2020 and 2021 have been very profitable for investors. 2022 will not be.
Some form of the Biden bill will pass sending the economy into a death spiral.
Inflation will continue wiping out any wage increases. Consumer spending will fall because after paying necessary expenses there will be less discretionary income.
The price of crude oil will go above $100 a barrel.
Corporate profits will fall. Some companies will fail. Jobs will be lost.
The Federal Reserve will raise interest rates and decrease the money supply to counter out of control inflation.
Russia will use natural gas supplies as a weapon against Europe.
China and Korea will become more aggressive.
Covid cases will surge in the undeveloped nations and among the unvaccinated.
The second quarter of 2022 will be the start of a worldwide recession.

Beginning mid-December, I will be pulling out all of the stock market profits earned over the last 2 years and then some. By mid-February, my mutual fund holdings will be at the same level as at the end of 2019.
I will max out the allowed yearly amount of $10,000 by buying Series I savings bonds in December and January. Series I bonds are indexed to inflation and currently paying 7%+.
The balance will remain in money market cash until I see a buying opportunity.

Rock,
Print and save so you can trash me in the future. OR, you can follow my lead and avoid a crushing loss. Actually, I hope to be overly cautious and wrong.
The mid-term elections should bring some sanity back to American economic policy.

UNSOLICITED ADVICE

2020 and 2021 have been very profitable for investors. 2022 will not be.
Some form of the Biden bill will pass sending the economy into a death spiral.
Inflation will continue wiping out any wage increases. Consumer spending will fall because after paying necessary expenses there will be less discretionary income.
The price of crude oil will go above $100 a barrel.
Corporate profits will fall. Some companies will fail. Jobs will be lost.
The Federal Reserve will raise interest rates and decrease the money supply to counter out of control inflation.
Russia will use natural gas supplies as a weapon against Europe.
China and Korea will become more aggressive.
Covid cases will surge in the undeveloped nations and among the unvaccinated.
The second quarter of 2022 will be the start of a worldwide recession.

Beginning mid-December, I will be pulling out all of the stock market profits earned over the last 2 years and then some. By mid-February, my mutual fund holdings will be at the same level as at the end of 2019.
I will max out the allowed yearly amount of $10,000 by buying Series I savings bonds in December and January. Series I bonds are indexed to inflation and currently paying 7%+.
The balance will remain in money market cash until I see a buying opportunity.

Rock,
Print and save so you can trash me in the future. OR, you can follow my lead and avoid a crushing loss. Actually, I hope to be overly cautious and wrong.
The mid-term elections should bring some sanity back to American economic policy.
It is always great to hear your positive and confident out look on money matters. You have a happy Thanksgiving as well Blade.