TForce | Its sure been hot in upstate N.Y. of late.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
It almost got to 100 here.
And I was praying for folks in the west for their heat.
Now its come this way.
The news said its especialy hard on the heavy,and the elderly,and I'm in both catagories.

But asking for Gods help I just drank spring water like crazy all day,and it didn't seem to bad.
Also my tractor has AC but it doesn't work.
I roll the drivers window down all the way,and the passenger side about a foot for air flow.
Funny thing though when I got out of my tractor to make deliveries the cab was so hot it seemed cool when I got outside?
Ah nothing like the life of a P & D driver.
Ya gotta love it.

It's been hot down here for some time now. Heat index above 110 and downright hot even after the sun sets. I asked my supervisor if I could get a helper to lower/raise my legs and unhook/hook up the lights and airlines so I dont have to get outta my air conditioned tractor. He just rolled his eye's
Seriously though, I feel for those guys in pkg Them there cars are like an oven this time of year

The outbound crew at my terminal hooks the lead..

for our road drivers when things are running late.
The dock guys don't mind their getting paid by the hour.
Yes sir I see the package drivers in my area with both doors wide open when their driving.
UPS doesn't mind that?
I know if it was me as much as I need to work I'd have both of my doors open if I was a package driver.

Although I started back in the day when the only AC was in expensive cars,like Caddys,and Lincolns.
I guess you can say I'm used to it.
There wasn't any power steering back than as well.
I call it the bad old days.
But if you go from no AC to AC,or no power steering to power steering its kind of nice,going the other way is a real bummer.

I don't get the heat index thing?
Ours is around 105,not as bad as yours,but bad enough.

Apostolic said:
I don't get the heat index thing?

I believe that is what the temp feels like...with the humidity factored in.

Say it's 75 degrees, not too bad right?...well if it is really humid, it feels much hotter than it is, and the heat index is much higher than 75.

Just like in the winter...when it's 32 degrees...not too bad provided your dressed for it....but add some wind to that and 32 feels miserable....the wind chill factor will be much lower than 32.

Thermometers measure actual temperatures....not what the conditions make it feel like.

Apostolic said:
Yes sir I see the package drivers in my area with both doors wide open when their driving.
UPS doesn't mind that?
I know if it was me as much as I need to work I'd have both of my doors open if I was a package driver.
UPS probably prefers them to be open. That way your getting in an out quicker:hysterical:
I rarely had one or both doors closed(even in winter). All that moving kept me pretty warm. Even had some customers ask why I didnt have doors:duh:

Thanks for the come back on the heat index..

UPSF Glad to be non-union.

You know the weather has to be the most discussed subject anywhere in the world,and like it or not there isn't one thing you can do about it,other than moving to a different region,or climate.

Its very rare that we have temps., this high.

The funny thing about it your body can adapt to this hot weather as long as your drinking a lot of water,after all our body's are made up of water,you just keep replacing it to keep everything in working order.

I do like the warm summer weather better than our cold winter days,beside that I never have to shovel an once of sunshine.

You ever notice how the weather people are never wrong given their choice of words?

Partly,chance of,probable..

Must be nice having a job when your always correct no matter what happens.

The Weather

Apostolic said:
UPSF Glad to be non-union.

You know the weather has to be the most discussed subject anywhere in the world,and like it or not there isn't one thing you can do about it,other than moving to a different region,or climate.

Its very rare that we have temps., this high.

The funny thing about it your body can adapt to this hot weather as long as your drinking a lot of water,after all our body's are made up of water,you just keep replacing it to keep everything in working order.

I do like the warm summer weather better than our cold winter days,beside that I never have to shovel an once of sunshine.

You ever notice how the weather people are never wrong given their choice of words?

Partly,chance of,probable..

Must be nice having a job when your always correct no matter what happens.
Yes sir , I agree with you .My hands are already broken and cracked thinking about winter !!

Apostolic,I put a thermetor in the tractor yesterday and it maintained 107 degrees all day,switched it to the trailer for a while and it maintained 122degrees I dont have the luxury of air either allthough I did have one this week for one day,what a difference.But like you said just drink lots of water and you will get thru it..CRAZY

crazy said:
Apostolic,I put a thermetor in the tractor yesterday and it maintained 107 degrees all day,switched it to the trailer for a while and it maintained 122degrees I dont have the luxury of air either allthough I did have one this week for one day,what a difference.But like you said just drink lots of water and you will get thru it..CRAZY
122degrees? wow. I think there is an osha requirement on that, gotta check.
You think after that city driver in abf? died a couple years ago of heat stroke, companies would wise up. I know my terminal, the P&D guys all have AC, and road drivers all have to have working AC by contract.

All of my terminals Road Drivers have AC..

but only a few of our city tractors have working air conditioners.

But the way I see it,all of us P & D drivers are in,and out all day long making our deliveries that we can get along with out it.
But all Road Drivers should be as comfortable as possible for the long way they have to drive.

Because driving in extreme heat can make you really drowzy.
I know its better to get all sleepy truckers off the roads rather than have them slip into dream land,as they drive off the road scattering our outbound freight down the road side,as the trailer splits open on impact.

Although as much as it would be nice to have AC working in all of our city units.

Jumping in and out of our cold cabs to the hot outside air may not be good for us?

I did ok by drinking a lot of spring water all day,and sleeping at night with air conditioning in my bedroom.

When I was really sweating one of those really hot days this week, I saw three guys working on a metal roof.
Just seeing this sight made me feel better that I drove truck,for a living,and didn't have to do anyother crummy job like those roofers.

Apostolic said:
but only a few of our city tractors have working air conditioners.

But the way I see it,all of us P & D drivers are in,and out all day long making our deliveries that we can get along with out it.
But all Road Drivers should be as comfortable as possible for the long way they have to drive.

Because driving in extreme heat can make you really drowzy.
I know its better to get all sleepy truckers off the roads rather than have them slip into dream land,as they drive off the road scattering our outbound freight down the road side,as the trailer splits open on impact.

Although as much as it would be nice to have AC working in all of our city units.

Jumping in and out of our cold cabs to the hot outside air may not be good for us?

I did ok by drinking a lot of spring water all day,and sleeping at night with air conditioning in my bedroom.

When I was really sweating one of those really hot days this week, I saw three guys working on a metal roof.
Just seeing this sight made me feel better that I drove truck,for a living,and didn't have to do anyother crummy job like those roofers.

Do you have mechanics at your terminal?
Do you write your truck up to have your a/c fixed.
Just curious because at my terminal they are pretty good about fixing anything that is written up.
They can't fix it if they don't know it is broken.