It's time for NW/Colorado Rockies Baseball

Did you pull sets with a 1700 International??
City yes we did. Heavy duty we used retired freightliners from linehaul. Great for napping in the sleepers. it was surprising those little Internationals held up like they did. NW trucks ran like turtles in a race but the wheels were always turning. 400 gallons of fuel on the linehaul Freightliners.

Last edited:
City yes we did. Heavy duty we used retired freightliners from linehaul. Great for napping in the sleepers. it was surprising those little Internationals held up like they did. NW trucks ran like turtles in a race but the wheels were always turning. 400 gallons of fuel on the linehaul Freightliners.
At Viking we had a couple 1900s with DT466, one with 10speed and one with Allison. I’m sure the 1700s had a “smaller” engine. Our LN8000s had 3208s and Allisons. Pulled sets ok. But an incline freeway on-ramp would have you in the mirror watching for a spot to merge in to....

At Viking we had a couple 1900s with DT466, one with 10speed and one with Allison. I’m sure the 1700s had a “smaller” engine. Our LN8000s had 3208s and Allisons. Pulled sets ok. But an incline freeway on-ramp would have you in the mirror watching for a spot to merge in to....
I never drove our city 466s, our line tractors with the 3208s were weak.
Although Ryder was good at castrating some engines.

Those little tractors could hold their own.............. in a traffic jam.

65? That must have been downhill in hillbilly overdrive. Most I ever got out of one was 58.
I worked out of Dallas in the city but I had a long route averaged about 200 miles a shift I worked 4 10s I had to use a road tractor because the city tractors wouldn't go that far. Anyway while its true their was some road trucks went 65 most did not.

I worked out of Dallas in the city but I had a long route averaged about 200 miles a shift I worked 4 10s I had to use a road tractor because the city tractors wouldn't go that far. Anyway while its true their was some road trucks went 65 most did not.
NW had some terminals that had road pedals ,Mileage to there first stop and clock time until there last stop and mileage there after.Jerry didn’t like paying overtime for truck drivers.He was a smooth operator until he moved out east and found out he could not and would not get his way.Too bad for him.Pay the rate or lock the Gate.

Hey Hook, why the name change from NorthWest to Nations Way?
When St. Johnsbury, our interline partner for all things upper east, closed up Jerry McMorris decided he was going too open up nationwide so hence the name Nationsway to keep the NW logo intact. That decision & the baseball team was the downfall. The rule of thumb Jerry's dad had when he founded NW was never go east of the Mississippi and that was successful until NW opened too many barns too fast to cover St. Js footprint. You don't waltz into the east coast & gain market share quickly. He even went into parts on Canada Eh.

Last edited:
When St. Johnsbury, our interline partner for all things upper east, closed up Jerry McMorris decided he was going too open up nationwide so hence the name Nationsway to keep the NW logo intact. That decision & the baseball team was the downfall. The rule of thumb Jerry's dad had when he founded NW was never go east of the Mississippi and that was successful until NW opened too many barns too fast to cover St. Js footprint. You don't waltz into the east coast & gain market share quickly. He even went into parts on Canada Eh.

Similar scenario when Maislin bought Gateway and thought they were going to be a nationwide transcontinental carrier.

Now Coop, the official trucking company of the Ridge Sox, has flourished with the team, along with its popcorn product, the beet warehouse in Clarence, Ted’s Bar in WBL, and last mile delivery.