R&L | It's time to bid the runs at R&L!!!

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
R&L is the only company I know of, where they NEVER bid the runs out...If you have a run, it is basically your run, unless they eliminate it, or you screw up somehow, and they take you off of it...

I know alot of you guys will disagree with me on this, and thats ok with me...This is just my opinion...

I personally have been on the same p&d run for over 15 years, and so have a majority of the guys that work at my terminal.. I have grown so bored with it, I can't stand it...
SAME PEOPLE-SAME PLACES-EVERYDAY

I actually love when they put me on something else from time to time...That dosen't happen often, and when they do put me on a different run, they are doing it trying to PUNISH me, they are not smart enough to figure out I like the challenge, and the different scenery...

Anyways, I think they should bid the runs out at the very least, once a year...Probably won't happen!!!

WHATS YOU OPINION ON THE SUBJECT???

For one, most only bid once a year to keep people on their runs thru winter. Otherwise the most senior guys would have the cake in summer and winter too. I would love to see a bid once a year. With that said, I have always dreamed of, at the very least, split the board; Linehaul/City. Would have cut dirty politics in half @ my term. I'm game for both of these. And I am a linehaul,#2 linehaul,halfway thru the pack if you throw city into the mix, with one of the best runs out of our term. and would stand a fair chance to lose it, if these were put into place. But I would still love to see both bid/split, that would surely be a change of pace for some in the same'ole, same'ole.

I don't think they can afford to bid out once a year because of the way they run us. I have been on my run long enough to the point that i can go on most of my regular customers docks during their lunch break, pull off their freight, and go to the lunch room to get a signature with sight unseen of the freight. The time saved by being able to do this is apparent. This is because of the trust that has developed between us. With late l/h arrivals and more stops being placed per driver, they can't wait for a new driver to develop this with the customers. The all important numbers would drop. By the time everything was running smoothly you would be up for bid again. Just my opinion, using my yard as a example.

Sapper is dead right on this one. Plus the fact I can park in the parking lot,pull freight to back of truck,walk in get the receiver and have him drive outsitde to avoid the hour wait for all the trucks waiting in line to get to their dock. And I know which customers are ready before their standard "READY" time and which ones arent. I know who will stay and wait for me and who definitely wont stay and wait. Bidding the runs would definitely Squash their unrealistic stops per hour dream.It would be fun to see all the Chaos though and the customers that have to deal with a new driver that wont do what their old one did for 15 years.

We need to bid every year at the same time, flat out. We bid l/h at my term but not city. We should bid everything at the same time with one board. The problem is all the l/h bids are at different times of the year. So when one comes up no one is able to bid on it except the person who is already on it. You guys mention it would be bad for the customers, well the other companies are able to do it so why are we not able? These other companies are going through the same numbers crap as we are, but yet they can get it done.

Every other company bids thier runs, and they seem to be leaving us in the dust...We are the only company I know of that you are on the same run for life...This is obsurd...

Just like you sapper, I know my customers well enough to unload their freight while they are on lunch bring them the bill and they sign it, without ever having seen the freight...(Because they trust us)

I have a run, a good run, a lot of guys would love to have it...I would love for guys at my termianal to have the opportunity to bid on my run and have it...My terminal manager claims he has no authority to let others run my run, and let me run something else...(Makes me wonder, why are they wasting money on terminal managers, if they can't do anything)

My customers have my phone number, they call me everyday, wanting to know the status of thier delivery or pick-up...These are great things I agree, but R&L would not shut the doors, if they started bidding thier runs once a year...R&L was doing fine before you and me were on our runs,(somehow they survived) and they will do fine even when we are no longer on our run...

IMO, it would be a good change for the company to make...Its time for a challenge, its time for an opportunity to go someplace else, see something else, and run someplace else..Its also an opportunity for guys who run wild, who have been running wild for 10 years or longer at my terminal, to have a chance of getting thier own run...Its time to get out of our COMFORT ZONE...IMHO!!!!

Who knows, the company may even find that bidding these runs out, that a driver who they though was productive on a run, was actually not as productive as they thought...
I don't think they can afford to bid out once a year because of the way they run us. I have been on my run long enough to the point that i can go on most of my regular customers docks during their lunch break, pull off their freight, and go to the lunch room to get a signature with sight unseen of the freight. The time saved by being able to do this is apparent. This is because of the trust that has developed between us. With late l/h arrivals and more stops being placed per driver, they can't wait for a new driver to develop this with the customers. The all important numbers would drop. By the time everything was running smoothly you would be up for bid again. Just my opinion, using my yard as a example.