I've dumped my cable service becoming member of the cord cutters

Ain't gonna touch that!!

l2c7I8L.jpg

I realize I'm late to the conversation, but...

I think you're fortunate it didn't work, because it's not legal.

Okay, it's legal, but their website states that "You can see almost every movie and TV series ever made. You can even access movies and shows that are still on Demand and episodes of TV that were just aired." and if that is true then there is software installed that is accessing content illegally.

Their website also says, "It is legal to stream content. It is illegal to download copy written material." However streaming is downloading (just without storing it permanently). It is in fact legal to download copyrighted material, if you own it. It becomes illegal when you use a peer to peer network to download, because you are also uploading at the same time, you don't have a right to upload copyrighted material to someone else because they probably don't own it, and that's how people get in trouble, because the entertainment industry is actively using the popular file sharing systems. When an unsuspecting user uploads the latest movie to the corporation that made it, they snag the IP address of that user and start sending your ISP a letters about you.

The TickBox and other devices use a media center software called Kodi. The Kodi software is legal, but people have written other software that allows Kodi to access the pirated copyrighted content.

So your TickBox is legal for you to own, if you were able to get it to work it would be legal to watch, but the minute you switched to a channel that was providing unauthorized content, you are breaking the law and it's possible (though perhaps not probable) to get into legal trouble for it. I'm not sure how they could get you into court (at this time) because you haven't uploaded anything. They certainly could prosecute the people running the channels that are providing the latest movies and tv episodes, as soon as they figure out how to catch them.

Here is a website that explains the streaming issues in more detail:

http://thevpn.guru/is-kodi-legal-safe-vpn-privacy-security/

Or you could just google "Is kodi legal?"

While you're at it google "kodi quit working"

The firestick that othertrucker2001 posted undoubtedly has a similar setup, I mean why else would someone pay $30 over Amazon's asking price?

It all reminds me when it was popular to hack the smartcards for satellite dish receivers. Of course it's perfectly legal to pull anything you want out of the airwaves, as long as you build your own equipment. It is illegal, although much easier, to use the satellite company's equipment to do it.

We cut cable long ago, and I personally don't watch or listen to anything with commercials. I have Roku 3's on each TV (and an antenna as a backup). I was using Sling's service, which is $20 a month for a handful of cable channels and local channels. Spectrum offered me a similar streaming service with no contract and a free Roku 3 to boot. Again, local channels and a few popular cable channels, for around $20, $28 to include HBO. The Roku box has a couple thousand legal channels to choose from many that are free, but with commercials. From what I read, Spectrum only offers this service to folks that don't have the regular TV service, but I told a friend about it and he pestered them until they let him have it also.

All the roku's have wireless, but some also use ethernet. Being a former gamer I prefer wired. So you might still get some use out of that cable you bought. I am so glad you didn't buy the cable from Best Buy, always mail order cables when possible.

Okay, it's legal, but their website states that "You can see almost every movie and TV series ever made. You can even access movies and shows that are still on Demand and episodes of TV that were just aired." and if that is true then there is software installed that is accessing content illegally.

Their website also says, "It is legal to stream content. It is illegal to download copy written material." However streaming is downloading (just without storing it permanently). It is in fact legal to download copyrighted material, if you own it. It becomes illegal when you use a peer to peer network to download, because you are also uploading at the same time, you don't have a right to upload copyrighted material to someone else because they probably don't own it, and that's how people get in trouble, because the entertainment industry is actively using the popular file sharing systems. When an unsuspecting user uploads the latest movie to the corporation that made it, they snag the IP address of that user and start sending your ISP a letters about you.

The TickBox and other devices use a media center software called Kodi. The Kodi software is legal, but people have written other software that allows Kodi to access the pirated copyrighted content.

So your TickBox is legal for you to own, if you were able to get it to work it would be legal to watch, but the minute you switched to a channel that was providing unauthorized content, you are breaking the law and it's possible (though perhaps not probable) to get into legal trouble for it. I'm not sure how they could get you into court (at this time) because you haven't uploaded anything. They certainly could prosecute the people running the channels that are providing the latest movies and tv episodes, as soon as they figure out how to catch them.

The firestick that othertrucker2001 posted undoubtedly has a similar setup, I mean why else would someone pay $30 over Amazon's asking price?

It all reminds me when it was popular to hack the smartcards for satellite dish receivers. Of course it's perfectly legal to pull anything you want out of the airwaves, as long as you build your own equipment. It is illegal, although much easier, to use the satellite company's equipment to do it.

We cut cable long ago, and I personally don't watch or listen to anything with commercials. I have Roku 3's on each TV (and an antenna as a backup). I was using Sling's service, which is $20 a month for a handful of cable channels and local channels. Spectrum offered me a similar streaming service with no contract and a free Roku 3 to boot. Again, local channels and a few popular cable channels, for around $20, $28 to include HBO. The Roku box has a couple thousand legal channels to choose from many that are free, but with commercials. From what I read, Spectrum only offers this service to folks that don't have the regular TV service, but I told a friend about it and he pestered them until they let him have it also.

All the roku's have wireless, but some also use ethernet. Being a former gamer I prefer wired. So you might still get some use out of that cable you bought. I am so glad you didn't buy the cable from Best Buy, always mail order cables when possible.
Roku is a good system. My brother inlaw has one on each of his tvs and Lord knows, they can afford cable and satellite but chooses to use roku. I howeve will stick to Chromecast for now. I have no problems with this.

Roku 4 You!!
Cheapest alternative short of Rabbit Ears.:woohoo1:
- - - -
On a normal to TB side note or :off topic::
When before being a teen, I thought "snorting Coke" was actually snorting the Cola and seemed rather pointless.

Roku 4 You!!
Cheapest alternative short of Rabbit Ears.:woohoo1:
- - - -
On a normal to TB side note or :off topic::
When before being a teen, I thought "snorting Coke" was actually snorting the Cola and seemed rather pointless.

I wonder if blowing Cola out your nose will ever become as popular to eveyone else, like it is to my wife everytime I fall, trip, or just bust my azz?

Well legal or not,there really is no way I go out of my way to break the laws I know about.
But anyway I was never able to get this tick box to work,so it turned out to be a total waste of money.

However my roof antenna is still pulling in (3)local stations, This-TV which is an older movie channel,& METV.
Also (4) Channel 21's,which my wife & I can live with,all for the original under 200 buck antenna purchase.
I like that there are no more monthly payments outside of the $65.00 internet charge for my router & high speed internet.

What you said is true. But what about when we access the internet via our computers and phones? We're streaming and downloading also.

I cut the cord last week. I had Time Warner/Spectrum for the last 3 years. Final straw was when I got a 197.00 bill. I bought this on Amazon and got 27 HD channels from the attic running out to 4 tv's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074H3IU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I switched to Comporiums's 300 MB internet for around 50 bucks a month and got 3 Fire Sticks. Little known to me I was already paying for Netflix and Hulu (damn kids) and now I have more tv than I can ever hope to watch.

I cut the cord last week. I had Time Warner/Spectrum for the last 3 years. Final straw was when I got a 197.00 bill. I bought this on Amazon and got 27 HD channels from the attic running out to 4 tv's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074H3IU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I switched to Comporiums's 300 MB internet for around 50 bucks a month and got 3 Fire Sticks. Little known to me I was already paying for Netflix and Hulu (damn kids) and now I have more tv than I can ever hope to watch.
Hahahaha.....damn kids.....they cant win for losing.

What you said is true. But what about when we access the internet via our computers and phones? We're streaming and downloading also.

It's fine and legal to access the internet via our computers and phones, and you can stream and download all kinds of stuff. In fact this is my point. If you are using your computer or phone to watch unauthorized copyrighted content, you know darned well you're doing something illegal, you don't typically stumble upon that content. If fact it takes a bit of effort to be a good pirate.

These kodi enabled boxes, however, makes it effortless for the end user. The general public are being duped by the nefarious vendors of these boxes, and can be unwittingly exposing themselves to possible legal action.

I was with Time Warner cable for as long as they were in our area.
However when Spectrum took over,& I got my first monthly bill from them,I took my box back.

Then went to my local Best Buy store & purchased an outside antenna,& bolted it to the edge of my roof.
I was amazed at the clarity of the picture on the 3 local channels,MeTV,& a few other channels.

I really don't care about TV,but my wife has favorite programs,where the antenna made her very happy.
For awhile that is,although I think she is having cable TV withdrawals,& wishes there were more channels.

Well wouldn't you know she saw a device called Tick Box advertised,that claimed it could draw in a lot of programs & movies.
To make her happy I shelled out the $100.00 & had it sent to us.
So we've had this thing for about 2 weeks & even with you tube instructions,she is upset with me,because I can't figure out how to get it to work on our TV.

Was wondering if any of my fellow trucking board members have heard of this thing?
If so can you give me a heads up on how to set it up,so I'll have a happier wife.

This company has a tech support phone number which I called,but a voice said their mail box was full.
Oh my,red light alert,I was not happy hearing that message.
Thanks if any of you can help me out,however if not,I see a $100.00 of my retirement gone down the drain.
I have sold over 700 fire sticks. I ship them all over the country. I work for yrc and live in Buffalo NY. Pm me if interested. No b s and I'm legit.

I don't know what happened or if it was just coincidence and the weather conditions changed but I had to do some work on my TV system. The results were favorable. We had new carpet installed a couple of months ago and when I put the big 65" back in it's spot five or six of my favorite channels weren't working. Then, when the A/C kicked in one or two more fell out. I went to Lowes and got a shank of RG-6 quad shield, fittings, strippers and crimpers and went at it. It was nice to cut the stuff to length rather than buy a 25' length and have a bunch looped and hung. I also got and installed a new splitter since we currently have two TV's set up. The new cable alone solved about half of the reception problems but there were still come channels missing so I went up and moved the antenna a little, just a couple of degrees. The first shift made things worse so I went back the other way a and viola, got my GetTV and my Ion back. :wee: I've been jonesing for my Alaska State Troopers and American Greed, not to mention Law and Order SVU on Saturdays. Cable, splitters and fittings of yesteryear don't fare well with our new HD reception. So...if you want to cut the cord make sure that you have late model wire and fittings to get the most out of it. And...a little adjustment goes a long way with antenna reception.