POLITICS jimmy's world, version 6....

Discussion in 'Washington D.C.' started by jimmy g, Dec 20, 2014.

1. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    Absolutely amazing!!!

When my kids were young, my wife videotaped a young eagle from about 10’ away that had a rabbit and couldn’t haul it away. Guess it was young and hungry, like just kicked out of the nest by Momma. Caught the rabbit and no way was he leaving it. Eventually it flew to a low branch and stared. Then tried to fly across the highway at windshield level with a car coming. At the last second, he dropped the rabbit on the car, and pulled up to safety.

Somewhere we have that VHS tape, who knows where? And no player to watch it on...

2. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode AD-FREE USER

Driver Since:
    What struck me watching that Jimmy (there are longer versions on Youtube) is that eagle is in an area rich with easy prey for a good hunter like an eagle, so he really wanted that fish, and then I thought of most guys standing in front of the meat counter picking out a nice steak...so bigger is better for eagles too.

jimmy g and Big Dave like this.
  3. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    Eddy Money cashed out his Ticket to Paradise. (Introduction has foul language)

Tribute from REO Speedwagon....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  4. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:

5. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    Bryan Adams also gave a tribute to his friend.

6. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    Boss put me in a New 2020! (And the 1,500,000 miles is just from the 10 years here. They won't count the 2 million at other places)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Dave, Rastus and kboomarang like this.
  7. kboomarang

Driver Since:
    Is she an automatic? And what is the "Smart Valve"?, also again nice job on the miles.

jimmy g likes this.
  8. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    12 speed Endurant Transmission. Autoshift, since it has a Centrifugal clutch, but no clutch pedal. I've driven our 10 speed autoshifts a couple times, and they were jerky and all kinds of frustrating in reverse (because the centrifugal clutch needs to be at least 750 rpm and don't Dare hit the brake!) Not this, it seems very, very smooth. I'll hit the Ozark Hills tomorrow, and see if the gears being closer together helps. It should...?

https://www.ccjdigital.com/test-drive-eaton-endurant-12-speed-transmission/

The Hadley Smart Valve lifts the rear suspensions bags an extra two inches when (in my case) needing more ground clearance with our trailers that have bellies under them. We can fit 9 more boxes in those bellies, but only have 10"-14" ground clearance (our older trailers have the lower clearance). The dock I load wood in is a wood manufacturer, and not designed for our trailers. Often, my trailer drags the aluminum belly coming up the slope to the surface. I keep 4 4x4s there to drive my tires on to raise the clearance. This new system (and newer trailers with more clearance) helps. Avoids a chargable accident for ripping off the belly!

Plus, the Mexican drivers I meet in El Paso, all have 24" tires. They always drop the trailers way too high for our trucks and our 22.5 tires. This saves a lot of cranking!!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Big Dave and kboomarang like this.
  9. kboomarang

Driver Since:
    That valve is slick, I was watching the video and recalling some the different situations I would of loved to have it, it would of been a huge benefit shuttling those postal trailers.

jimmy g likes this.
  10. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    I just read about the Endurant. It's an Automated Manual Transmission, and different from an Autoshift. Apparently, inside it's no longer an H pattern, but linear instead. Welcome to the Future! Technology never sits still. All because of the computer age, which sprung from NASA, in my opinion.

When I started driving, trucks got 3.5-4 mpg. The last 10 years, the 2009 I drove got 6.8-7.4. This rascal , paired with an X15 Cummins, appears to average close to 8mpg!!!! This run, I go over the Ozarks, and some New Mexico mountains- loaded both ways, averaging 65,000 lbs gross. If it gets more than 7.5, I'll be quite impressed!!!!

DCM_Doc and kboomarang like this.
  11. kboomarang

Driver Since:
  12. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    Allison's are true automatics. They have a torque converter. They weigh three times as much and cost who knows how many times more. They're supposedly almost 'bulletproof" as far as breaking them goes. Abrams Tanks use Allisons. I'd love to have one, but I'd have to buy it myself. Can't think of any fleet owners who would.

Getting loaded today, the heavy forklift ran down my air, shifting weight on the trailer. I went to pull out, and Tranny wouldn't let me shift from neutral, until air built up. Kept flashing "low air pressure to Transmission". I've never seen that one before.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    kboomarang likes this.
  13. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

Allison transmissions are true automatic transmissions much like automobile transmissions with a torque converter only much larger. Some city delivery trucks use them. I don't think they would do well on fuel mileage in road tractors. I have wondered if lock up converters could be developed in Allison transmissions like passenger vehicles have had for many years. That would increase fuel mileage. Road tractors transmissions are called Auto-Shift because they are manual transmissions that shift automatically. The main difference in these & the old Road Ranger is the transmission top which uses electronically controlled solenoids to move the rails instead of the shift lever.
    It has taken several years to develop this new Eaton transmission. It is designed to be an auto shift instead of a modified manual shift like previous transmissions. The clutches last much longer in these than back in the old days. Replacing the old twin disc clutches was one of the least desirable jobs in the shop. Usually the transmission input shaft had to be replaced also because of wear in the splines. I remember a mechanic years ago saying there is nothing sacred about a twin disc clutch. He apparently was looking to the future when they would be obsolete.

kboomarang and jimmy g like this.
  14. DCM_Doc

I remember reading a while back, maybe on this board that Allison has been developing a transmission for the highway that will equal fuel mileage of gear transmissions. I would speculate the major change will be to the converter. It is interesting to note that engine & transmission manufacturers are working together. It has resulted in improved fuel mileage & driveability. Eaton/Fuller has long been the leader in transmissions & this new design will help maintain their presence in the heavy truck market.
    It seems that for years engines were the only component considered to be relevant to fuel mileage.

jimmy g likes this.
  15. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:

kboomarang likes this.
  16. kboomarang

Driver Since:
    I suspect a burnt hot dog, warm pop, new hat and a free company logo-ed can koozie weren't in the week's festivities, Jimmy.

jimmy g likes this.
  17. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    steaks, every lunch. Cooked by the Boss, on the grill outside the truck garage.

Have I mentioned this is the best job I ever had????

DCM_Doc and kboomarang like this.
  18. kboomarang

Driver Since:
    Good management and bosses sure can make that happen, not enough of them can quite figure that out and just don't realize it isn't that difficult.

DCM_Doc and jimmy g like this.
  19. DCM_Doc

Too many management types have forgotten or never knew the key to employee productivity is but one word, RESPECT.

jimmy g likes this.
  20. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:

DCM_Doc, Rastus and kboomarang like this.