XPO | Job Selection Process & Favoritism

With the Job Selection Process (JSP) just around the corner has anyone else noticed the favoritism and complete disregard for seniority? It's by design that the system is rolled out every year as "A driver bids a start time not a route". Well let's take a closer look at this statement, it's XPO's ballgame and they control the entire ballgame. Local management can make ANY driver appear as though they are overly productive or not productive on the dock and in the P&D environment. Give a dockworker tasks outside of moving freight and BOOM, there goes his motor move numbers. Give a driver numerous handoff deliveries and once again BOOM, there goes the stop per hour numbers. So, the moral of this thread is that XPO puts their favorites :grouphug: where they want by FAVORITISM not by true production numbers. Runs are created to personalize them to a so called favorite. I've seen at multiple service centers where individuals are on routes for 10 years or more and I have asked why that is. The answer I get is, that driver knows that task better than anyone else. I'm pretty certain after a short period of time anyone can complete a given route or task efficiently if given that task. It's really not rocket science. My question is, how versatile to the company is that individual if that's all he does? Or should we determine that's all they want to do? Routes should be delegated out as they are created and by seniority. Let's fix this and strive for true production numbers, success for all of us, and for a profitable XPO.

well, people give into certain folks. A terminal that I worked at in the Midwest all the “senior drivers” all had the earliest start times and longest runs. So the practice of being start times not runs was not followed. Anytime they were off someone else would get the routes done in way less time. Proves favoritism is in play because those drivers would cry and belly ache and when they were put on other routes they milked the bones.

well, people give into certain folks. A terminal that I worked at in the Midwest all the “senior drivers” all had the earliest start times and longest runs. So the practice of being start times not runs was not followed. Anytime they were off someone else would get the routes done in way less time. Proves favoritism is in play because those drivers would cry and belly ache and when they were put on other routes they milked the bones.
:clap: This is precisely the point. So, if the union is in this company it's not only because of wages and benefits completely, but because this crap is rampant and senior or new hires see this. So some may think third party representation would be needed because the situation is not changing.

:clap: This is precisely the point. So, if the union is in this company it's not only because of wages and benefits completely, but because this crap is rampant and senior or new hires see this. So some may think third party representation would be needed because the situation is not changing.
I highly doubt no matter what happens in this company no other barns are gonna have a vote. If after 5 years and no contract everyone remains skeptical that anything fruitful is gonna become of their vote. I keep hearing they need more barns to vote to get a contract but if none do does that mean they will never get a contract?

We have them too. They think the company owes them something. It's everywhere in this company. All driver are paid at the same rate so going the extra mile gets you nothing. If you become the type of guy in the city to always get it done management will always be looking to you to get them out of a jam. When I was in the city I took pride in getting all the stops off and making every pickup. Over time more and more work was place at my feet while the lazy slackers got less. So when bid time can around I dropped a bomb and bib LH. The shock on my dispatcher face was priceless.
The other shock these senior driver are see is as driver retire they are replacing them with dockworks. The dockworker at my barn are running circle around the lazy early start time drives and thanks to there laziest, start time are being pushed back with less early times at the next bib.

Kinda seems like the early guys should be doing the long runs. Problem is they gettin away with milkin the clock. Git the ::shit:: done and come home already.

Kinda seems like the early guys should be doing the long runs. Problem is they gettin away with milkin the clock. Git the :::shit::: done and come home already.
you would think, but not so, some are former LH driver and still want to make or need to make that LH pay in the city

The old guys have one foot out the door and don't care to do anything. The young guys are to the point where they won't even attempt deliveries if they haven't been there before. Constantly taking out freight that says attempted. Or straight truck needed. Then you get there. Pull right into a dock and stand there and watch a guy on a forklift unload the freight. Leave out of there wondering why it was impossible. I could kinda understand residentials or whatever. But they won't even deliver the easy stuff. And then they wonder why the company is looking to sub out p&d routes ? Well, are you gonna do the work or not ? If not, what choice do you give them ? I shake my head every day. It's getting really tough to deal with. I really can't believe where we are, from where we were.

The old guys have one foot out the door and don't care to do anything. The young guys are to the point where they won't even attempt deliveries if they haven't been there before. Constantly taking out freight that says attempted. Or straight truck needed. Then you get there. Pull right into a dock and stand there and watch a guy on a forklift unload the freight. Leave out of there wondering why it was impossible. I could kinda understand residentials or whatever. But they won't even deliver the easy stuff. And then they wonder why the company is looking to sub out p&d routes ? Well, are you gonna do the work or not ? If not, what choice do you give them ? I shake my head every day. It's getting really tough to deal with. I really can't believe where we are, from where we were.
I had a delivery last week that was at our terminal for 2 weeks and multiple drivers took it out and brought it back, one ever wrote on the bill he needed a phone number but the number was on the bill. I called the guy got directions to his store where he had a dock. I can't understand why no one bothered to call for 2 weeks

I had a delivery last week that was at our terminal for 2 weeks and multiple drivers took it out and brought it back, one ever wrote on the bill he needed a phone number but the number was on the bill. I called the guy got directions to his store where he had a dock. I can't understand why no one bothered to call for 2 weeks

I informed a guy, half my age, that his phone had google. And that if you google a company. It'll give you contact info. He looked at me like I just cured cancer.

I know why.

A fish rots from the head down. Although the drivers involved are wrong it's management's job to stop and get rid of bad behavior and bad drivers/employees.

I know why.

A fish rots from the head down. Although the drivers involved are wrong it's management's job to stop and get rid of bad behavior and bad drivers/employees.

We can’t get rid of people when we can’t keep people. Management doesn’t have the freedom it once had. Back in the day. Took me a year to get this job. They had a pile of applications. Now. They beg just to get people to apply. And the ones that do ain’t qualified.

And I bet upper management loves the turnover. Helps their bottom line.

We can’t get rid of people when we can’t keep people. Management doesn’t have the freedom it once had. Back in the day. Took me a year to get this job. They had a pile of applications. Now. They beg just to get people to apply. And the ones that do ain’t qualified.

When is the last time you've seen a class training for the CDL tests? Do you have them very often? I see dockworkers enroll then it gets canceled.

I know why.

drivers can do whatever they want and as they please. I’ve heard of many drivers having enough pull to get a supervisor/manager gone.

If yer paid to do a job and you suck at it, you deserve to be replaced. It’s that ******* simple.

Drivers are king. Can do whatever. They can’t get drivers. So how can you fire if you can’t replace who’s quitting or going to retire.

And there are a bunch set to retire. And these guys from the classes are quitting as soon as they get their two years. On top of the typical turnover.