ODFL | Jumping At The Start Line?

DayliteDean

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
If you havent recieved your safety handout for January yet,or haven't bothered to read it,you might ask for a copy,or pull it back out from wherever you put it!If you look on page 3 in a box is this statement"All drivers!Beginning February 2012,drivers are required to log a 30 minute"off duty"break during or after the first 8 hours driving" WTH!I was under the impression this didn't come into effect until July 2013.:mad:Is the safety dept.getting ahead of themselves here?with court challenges probably coming on the HOS regs this rule might not ever see the light of day!My workday was already extended by almost an hour when the tractors were turned down now I get to tack on another 1/2 hour to my day(swell!!)plus this new rule could add on almost 1&1/2 hours of transit time a day to long haul shipments if they're moving by either teams or relay.I don't think implementing a bad regulation early(by15 months!)is a great idea,and hopefully someone on the operational side of things will get this changed,in the future months while I'm having to sit at some Godforsaken truckstop for thirty minutes listening to some BillyBigRigger trying to find a hooker ,or start a fight on the radio,I'd prefer to blame the government for my misery,not my own company!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't understand how ANYONE could consider this a good idea! I can only hope that more srnsible heads prevail. If not, give me back 3 to 5mph to make up the difference. I see no merit in making an already long day even longer.

Big brother is getting on my nerves. We are "unskilled labor" according to the gov's. labor dept and stupid but must be perfect at our work. If any group of pe should be baby sat it is gov. morons

well the only thing that i will probably do is take it when i meet my meet driver i usually have to wait 15-20 min. for him anyway. they keep messing around with these hours i wont be able to complete my run as it gets busy i have to go to different terminals a night.

If you think about it, truck drivers are probably the only profession in the country where you'll hear them complaining about having to take a half hour lunch break!! Some of us guys that get run hard in the city to pick up the slack the slow guys can't do will enjoy being able to break around normal time instead of after 12 hours before heading to the barn.

Amen Brother...lol..But,so true.Looking forward to it.You have the one's who going to lunch same time same place while the one's you take up the slack have to roll.But, hey if I have been there has long has them I quess I will be the same way.lol
If you think about it, truck drivers are probably the only profession in the country where you'll hear them complaining about having to take a half hour lunch break!! Some of us guys that get run hard in the city to pick up the slack the slow guys can't do will enjoy being able to break around normal time instead of after 12 hours before heading to the barn.

remember david congdon saying that od was going to hire or train 1500 drivers this year. shorter linehaul runs maybe. or like we have here double turns

Well,try and look at it from a line-haulers perspective,I already work close to an 11-12 hour day, if you extend me another half hour its the same as taking a cut in my pay(in my case almost 19 bucks)dont get me wrong I get paid very well but the old adage"Time is money"is accurate here,although I'm paid by the mile is pretty easy to translate my pay into hourly increments,so bitching about this policy has some merit.

Bitching about this policy has alot of merit! Just based on what Dean said. Our run takes 11 1/2 to 12hrs to complete. Why add to that? So many things factor in out there weather/road conditions, various delays etc... It bothers me somewhat also, that there appears to be no one that is going to explain the reasoning behind it. Sticking it on page 2 or 3 of a hand-out is a poor way to introduce it in my opinion.

Starting to agree.Heard yesterday that they have spent way over the top this yr. for alot more tractor's,Trailer's.,etc for upgrade's.With the new rule's that will start .There will be alot of turn's that will have to be re-done&made shorter because of the new rule.Like I said this is all what I heard.Something is going on that is BIG..They know something that we just don't know.UMMMMM!!!!!
remember david congdon saying that od was going to hire or train 1500 drivers this year. shorter linehaul runs maybe. or like we have here double turns

Did get my copy this morning.Wondering!!the only thing I seen was that the final ruling from the federal court's will be in Feb.& go into affect next yr.
If you havent recieved your safety handout for January yet,or haven't bothered to read it,you might ask for a copy,or pull it back out from wherever you put it!If you look on page 3 in a box is this statement"All drivers!Beginning February 2012,drivers are required to log a 30 minute"off duty"break during or after the first 8 hours driving" WTH!I was under the impression this didn't come into effect until July 2013.:mad:Is the safety dept.getting ahead of themselves here?with court challenges probably coming on the HOS regs this rule might not ever see the light of day!My workday was already extended by almost an hour when the tractors were turned down now I get to tack on another 1/2 hour to my day(swell!!)plus this new rule could add on almost 1&1/2 hours of transit time a day to long haul shipments if they're moving by either teams or relay.I don't think implementing a bad regulation early(by15 months!)is a great idea,and hopefully someone on the operational side of things will get this changed,in the future months while I'm having to sit at some Godforsaken truckstop for thirty minutes listening to some BillyBigRigger trying to find a hooker ,or start a fight on the radio,I'd prefer to blame the government for my misery,not my own company!

Not to spark some fires, but you line boys make damn good money for what is done. My suggestion is to take a shorter run if time away from home is bothering you. Why not kind of milk this break into your drop/hook/swap and drag it out a little? If you have runs that are a little shorter, I'm sure taking one of those will still have your paycheck looking bigger than what an average trucker makes. A little nap can go a long ways to keep you a bit more alert especially for these guys who are out playing family man all day long and then running a 600 mile turn at night.

We done this to ourselves if you haven't noticed all the rig crashes lately. Just going to get worse if we can't show the country we're in control of our jobs. But yet trucking is almost so easy a circus monkey can do it, so I don't expect driver quality to change soon.