XPO | Jumping from CCX to Con-Way Truckload

hillbillyjim

TB Lurker
Credits
I've got an 86 mile per day commute.
Am thinking of making the jump and saving
big bucks on gas. Can I carry benefits with me? Need some input here, been with CCX
for ten years and the work is killing me!

The cut in pay is gonna be more than you are spending on gas. In my opinion it would be a mistake to make the move to CFI/load.

Ever try sleeping in a sleeper unit while someone else is driving..?...

I believe they are exclusively TEAM operations........I have never run team, but from what I know of it, no thanks......the whole, get home every other week or so, truck constantly moving thing, doesn't appeal to me very much.

Ever try sleeping in a sleeper unit while someone else is driving..?...

I believe they are exclusively TEAM operations........I have never run team, but from what I know of it, no thanks......the whole, get home every other week or so, truck constantly moving thing, doesn't appeal to me very much.

CFI/Truckload has both .. the one you see out west are teams ..

Con-way Driver Career Choice Program
Questions and Answers for Con-way Freight DSRs
Following are common questions about the Driver Career Choice Program. If you have additional
questions please submit them to Employee Relations through your service center manager;
responses will be posted under the Driver Career Choice Program tab on the Employee Portal.
Q. What is this new Driver Career Choice Program?
A. Con-way has a unique opportunity to provide its drivers with more career opportunities than any other
transportation company. With the acquisition of Contract Freighters Inc. — now Con-way Truckload — many
areas were identified where collaboration between the two companies could provide synergies and
competitive advantages, benefiting employees and customers of both organizations.
This new program is an industry first that enables Con-way Freight and Con-way Truckload drivers to learn
about, consider and apply for different employment opportunities at their respective sister companies. It is a
no-cost, no-risk benefit where you can consider another career path and gain new skills as a truck driver. The
program is exclusively focused on open positions where they are available at Con-way Freight service
centers or at Con-way Truckload.
Q. Will current DSR’s lose their jobs; does this mean we are replacing Con-way Freight linehaul
jobs with Truckload drivers?
A. Absolutely not. Current DSR positions at Con-way Freight are in no way affected by this program. No DSRs
in any city or line-haul job at any Con-way Freight location will lose their job as a result of this program. It is
designed solely to help recruit qualified candidates for new-hire positions in our company, when they become
available.
Q. What happens to my service rank if a Truckload driver is hired at my service center?
A. Your service rank will not change. A Truckload driver who begins employment at Con-way Freight does so as
a newly hired employee. For the purposes of service rank and job selection, that person’s service time begins
anew on the first day of employment. As a former Con-way Truckload employee, that person cannot “bring
along” their years of service from Truckload to their employment at Con-way Freight and use those years for
service rank calculation.
Q. Will Truckload candidates have preference in hiring for open positions?
A. Like any candidate, an applicant from Con-way Truckload must meet all of Con-way Freight’s minimum
qualifications, skill and experience requirements, and must successfully pass pre-employment drug screen,
criminal, motor vehicle record and background checks to be eligible for hire. In addition, the Truckload
candidate must be in good standing and also have three years of continuous service with CFI/Con-way
Truckload. That said, qualified Truckload candidates will be given an opportunity to apply for open driving
positions at Con-way Freight before they are advertised in the open market.
Q. Can I apply for a Con-way Truckload job?
A. Yes. Con-way Freight employees may apply for Truckload driver positions. In fact, a number of Freight drivers
interested in long-haul over-the-road truckload driving have applied to and been hired by Con-way Truckload
since the acquisition was completed last summer. To be eligible to apply for a driving job at Con-way
Truckload under this program, the interested Con-way Freight DSR must be in good standing, have three
years of continuous service with Con-way Freight and one year at his/her current location.
Upon hire at Con-way Truckload, you would start there as a new employee. Your pay and benefits would be
provided as outlined under the policies and plans for Con-way Truckload at your time of hire. You can obtain
information about the Truckload benefit program and pay from the Con-way Truckload recruiting department.
Q. How do I apply to Con-way Truckload?
A. First, notify your service center manager of your interest. Your service center manager will then contact the
Con-way Freight Employee Relations department and tell them about your interest in a Truckload driving job.
The Con-way Freight Employee Relations department will notify Con-way Truckload and serve as your
resource during the application and interview process. The Con-way Truckload recruiting department will
share with you Con-way Truckload’s requirements and qualifications for driver employment. A DSR who
expresses an interest in a position with Con-way Truckload will remain employed by Con-way Freight until
he/she starts with Con-way Truckload. At that time, the employee must formally resign his/her position with
Con-way Freight.
Q. If I take a job at Con-way Truckload what happens to my years of service with Con-way
Freight?
A. You will be considered a new employee of Con-way Truckload. You will not be able to apply your years of
service at Con-way Freight to your employment at Con-way Truckload. However, your service with Freight will
generally be used to determine your vesting in the company match earned in the Truckload 401(k) plan.
Q. If I take a Con-way Truckload job and don’t like the position — can I come back to Con-way
Freight?
A. If you accept a position with Con-way Truckload, but later wish to return to Con-way Freight, you will be able
to do so. You must be in good standing and go through Con-way Freight’s normal new hire procedures,
including completing a Con-way Freight employment application, and being subject to pre-employment drug
screening, as well as motor vehicle and criminal background checks.
You will be able to return to your previous Con-way Freight service center only if there is an open DSR
position available. If there is no available position at your previous Con-way Freight service center, you may
pursue openings at other service centers. In either case, the hiring status will be that of a new employee, with
a new service rank set at the lowest level as of the first day of employment at the new Con-way Freight
service center, at the entry pay rate for that job category in that location. However, you will be credited for
your previous years of service with Con-way Freight for vacation accrual purposes only. A Con-way Freight
driver who accepts a position with Con-way Truckload and then returns to Con-way Freight will not be eligible
to apply for future opportunities at Con-way Truckload under this program.
Q. What’s in this for the company?
A. First and foremost, it makes excellent business sense. For Con-way Freight, it provides an efficient, costeffective
avenue for recruiting experienced drivers already familiar with the Con-way culture, values, mission
and, to some extent, operating processes. For Con-way Truckload, it provides great benefit and tremendous
competitive advantage for both driver retention and recruitment. And for employees, Con-way becomes the
first company to make it possible for drivers to consider other types of driving jobs as their lifestyle needs
change, and still work at a Con-way company. Overall, the program creates a unique and effective platform to
attract and retain drivers for both operating companies.
** Please note: All current policies and procedures are subject to change at any time at the company’s
discretion.
FOR POSTING IN SERVICE CENTERS THROUGH MAY 16

This is just a bad idea ( in my opinion). What if you moved within 10 or 20 miles of your terminal? Grumpy posted the rules, is it worth starting over? Choose carefully.

This is just a bad idea ( in my opinion). What if you moved within 10 or 20 miles of your terminal? Grumpy posted the rules, is it worth starting over? Choose carefully.

To add on to what twb said. If you worked for truckload, you would spend more hours per week for the company uncompensated, than you currently work and are compensated for. I would use caution when considering that move.

Thanks to all of you and a special thanks to Grumpy for all the extra
effort. Making the jump was just an idea. Might be nice to try it if I could come back with no losses.