XPO | Just accepted a Job at XPO (P&D)

TrickyA

TB Lurker
Credits
As the title says I just accepted a job doing p&d. This is my first endeavor into LTL. I'm coming from the O/O flatbed world. Any suggestions for what I signed up for? Manager and drivers seem to be laid back. It's a smaller facility and like I said the couple days I went down there for interviews and road test I was impressed with the manager and how the drivers all interact. I know I will be the low man on the pole doing routes no one wants but this job will get me home every night to my daughter and I don't have to pay for fuel or expensive cummins parts anymore:clap:

You'll be fine. LtL P&D is a fantastic job for having a decent quality of life, especially if you have a famiily and kids.

Don't hurt yourself overdoing it. Be cool, and take your time.
You won't get fired for going too slow, but you will get fired for hitting a bunch of $hit.

As the title says I just accepted a job doing p&d. This is my first endeavor into LTL. I'm coming from the O/O flatbed world. Any suggestions for what I signed up for? Manager and drivers seem to be laid back. It's a smaller facility and like I said the couple days I went down there for interviews and road test I was impressed with the manager and how the drivers all interact. I know I will be the low man on the pole doing routes no one wants but this job will get me home every night to my daughter and I don't have to pay for fuel or expensive cummins parts anymore:clap:
If it doesn’t work out head to UPS package . Better pay , benes , & pension . Especially with a family .

OK are some thing they might have not told you.
1. You are not a P&D driver you are a driver and fall were your seniority will let you bid or at this time were they need you. Be city P&D, flex board, day LH, or night LH
2. Always and I mean always remember you are not a truck driver. You are a freight handler with a CDL which means YOU WILL be on a forklift, using pallet jacks and hand trucks, liftgates and doing inside delivers.
3. They may split shift you. Come in work inbound dock punch out and then come back and do out bound dock. If you get OT after 8 it goes from punch to punch. Work 4 on IB and 6 on OB it all paid straight time.
4. Yes you will be home 99.9% of the time unless you break down on LH and they hotel you for 10 reset, but your paid for that time. Also home time might just be 10 off the clock, depending on your drive time home it will be less.
5. They will have there favorites in time you will see who they are.
6. The harder you work the more work you get. Work at a steady pace don't race around or take unreal chances do it the way they want you to and DON'T take short cuts. Missed deliveries and PU are not you problem. Get 3 preventable accidents in under 12 month and they will show you the door. Can't get in there with the equipment you have bring it back.

Smaller barn tend to treat there employees better. You are correct you will get all the ::shit:: work, forced on weekends and holidays. I did see you were a O/O flatbed so you not afraid of getting you hands dirty unlike those van driver this place gets.
I not trying to scare you away just stating some facts about XPO and the one last fact is they are all about number which you will learn in time.

Good luck and keep it between the line.

1. You are not a P&D driver you are a driver and fall were your seniority will let you bid or at this time were they need you. Be city P&D, flex board, day LH, or night LH
2. Always and I mean always remember you are not a truck driver. You are a freight handler with a CDL which means YOU WILL be on a forklift, using pallet jacks and hand trucks, liftgates and doing inside delivers.
3. They may split shift you. Come in work inbound dock punch out and then come back and do out bound dock. If you get OT after 8 it goes from punch to punch. Work 4 on IB and 6 on OB it all paid straight time.
4. Yes you will be home 99.9% of the time unless you break down on LH and they hotel you for 10 reset, but your paid for that time. Also home time might just be 10 off the clock, depending on your drive time home it will be less.
6. The harder you work the more work you get. Work at a steady pace don't race around or take unreal chances do it the way they want you to and DON'T take short cuts. Missed deliveries and PU are not you problem. Get 3 preventable accidents in under 12 month and they will show you the door. Can't get in there with the equipment you have bring it back.

Smaller barn tend to treat there employees better. You are correct you will get all the ::::shit:::: work, forced on weekends and holidays. I did see you were a O/O flatbed so you not afraid of getting you hands dirty unlike those van driver this place gets.
I not trying to scare you away just stating some facts about XPO and the one last fact is they are all about number which you will learn in time.

Good luck and keep it between the
At this barn the drivers all bid on linehaul, that’s what I wanted tbh, they are short on drivers so manager told me yes I will get the 💩 runs but it will be 💩 runs in the city. I don’t mind operating a forklift or working dock, I sat in a seat for 10+ years just driving it’ll be good to do something different.

Come bid time, always bid what you want, not what’s available. Things can change quickly, and you may find yourself in a lh bid sooner than you think. If you want Linehaul, bid it first choice.

This is fact. My experience is they will promise you the shiny side but you will more than likely live the flip side. If you can deal with that you’ll have it 50% licked . Favoritism and brown noses abound so be mindful of that . It’s employment at will .
Work steady and stay accident free and you’ll survive.
Best of luck

You'll be fine. LtL P&D is a fantastic job for having a decent quality of life, especially if you have a famiily and kids.

Don't hurt yourself overdoing it. Be cool, and take your time.
You won't get fired for going too slow, but you will get fired for hitting a bunch of $hit.
Sure. Throw it up in my face.

Smaller barn tend to treat there employees better. You are correct you will get all the ::::shit:::: work, forced on weekends and holidays. I did see you were a O/O flatbed so you not afraid of getting you hands dirty unlike those van driver this place gets.

Good luck and keep it between the line.
You forgot to add, Drive at BRG speeds only.

Around here, just fly under everyone's radar, just low enough to scratch the bottom paint on the tree tops. and be leery of the person who asks you when no one can hear, " so where are they sending you today, or what customers do you have today". Just avoid that situation and you'll have a good day. Best of luck..