Just Because

I broke two fingers back in the early eighties on one of those CL9000 COE's with an air cab.
Had a 13 speed, when I shifted into 9th on a curve the cab rolled and smashed my hand between the instrument panel and the gear knob. Never wrapped my fingers around it again.
They took some time to get used to the rolling. At first it felt like it was going to fall over in a curve.

I broke two fingers back in the early eighties on one of those CL9000 COE's with an air cab.
Had a 13 speed, when I shifted into 9th on a curve the cab rolled and smashed my hand between the instrument panel and the gear knob. Never wrapped my fingers around it again.
I hit a bad bridge shifting once.

Hand cam right off and slammed into the dash as I hit the ceiling.

A few fingers of strong drink took care of that particular owie in the back.

They took some time to get used to the rolling. At first it felt like it was going to fall over in a curve.
Drivers at my barn say that about Volvo tractors now. I don't mind the rolling, they ride like Cadillacs compared to my T680. I don't turn fast anyway.

You never had to worry about falling out of a Roadway pumpkin. When you opened the door you were at ground level.
That's good design.

I saw one of these in my hometown around 2010 pulling one of the last generations of Roadway 53s. By that time we were starting to see mostly YRC branded trailers in the area, so that initially caught my eye and then I saw THAT pumpkin. It was a beautiful old Ford, and I've loved spotting them ever since.

Makes me wish there was a tractor being made with those same ergonomic sensibilities today. Bet I wouldn't bang up my knees and shins climbing in and out of a pumpkin like I do on my Kenworth today!