XPO | Just quit UPS feeders to come here

Ayarosh1

TB Lurker
Credits
Like the title says just left my job as a UPS feeder driver to come to XPO as a flex board driver. Now before everyone starts bashing me… I was a sleeper driver out 5 days a week on a team run at brown, XPO is home daily. Also UPS has a no transfer policy where you’re basically tied to whatever hun you work out of, I’d like to move back to Orlando someday and XPO has a large terminal there so I should be able to transfer. In the meantime hopefully I’ll be kept busy on the flex board in Denver

Like the title says just left my job as a UPS feeder driver to come to XPO as a flex board driver. Now before everyone starts bashing me… I was a sleeper driver out 5 days a week on a team run at brown, XPO is home daily. Also UPS has a no transfer policy where you’re basically tied to whatever hun you work out of, I’d like to move back to Orlando someday and XPO has a large terminal there so I should be able to transfer. In the meantime hopefully I’ll be kept busy on the flex board in Denver
Where I'm located our #1 seniority driver left a few years ago to become a feeder driver. He went straight into a bid. He used to be anti - union. Now , he's pro - union and talks about how he wishes he'd left earlier. Go figure.

Go luck to you at XPO. I hope you're able to do the things you set out to accomplish while being safe.

Where I'm located our #1 seniority driver left a few years ago to become a feeder driver. He went straight into a bid. He used to be anti - union. Now , he's pro - union and talks about how he wishes he'd left earlier. Go figure.

Go luck to you at XPO. I hope you're able to do the things you set out to accomplish while being safe.
Your #1 driver was a smart man . If he is a regular feeder driver , not over the road team driver . Excellent ins , pension , job security, senority recognized ( as he climbs the ladder ) EXCELLENT pay for sure . Time & a half after 8 , double time for extras around Christmas . How much of that does XPO get ? Time and a half after 8 at some barns .

Don’t blame you , I would never do a team run . That’s too bad they won’t let you swap over to regular feeders after gain of senority . Good luck at XPO

Your #1 driver was a smart man . If he is a regular feeder driver , not over the road team driver . Excellent ins , pension , job security, senority recognized ( as he climbs the ladder ) EXCELLENT pay for sure . Time & a half after 8 , double time for extras around Christmas . How much of that does XPO get ? Time and a half after 8 at some barns .
Yep

How much were you making a year with UPS ? How long were you at UPS? Did you leave on your own accord ? What local ?

I was only 2 years in feeders. quit with a 2 week notice. Local 453, id need about another 3 years to get a single home every day run. The team run I’m on pays 168k a year(5 day run)
Sorry for the integration like stature of my question . We get a some of posers here with less than honest intent .

I definitely can’t respect the decision for giving up 100k a year in compensation that you did to get more home time . That must of been a tough one . Hopefully you can get the hours you want at Xpo and it works out better for you .

Good luck

Goog luck! Welcome to Xpo.

You’ll be busy…running the mountains and i80 corridor through Wyoming and Nebraska or some “special” city routes. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd bet any Denver ltl road driver running 5 days a week is making over $100,000 a year. Those guys run far due to how isolated that area is.
Most ltls have hubs in that city which should mean day runs are a possibility with enough seniority.
UPS feeder is as good as it gets for a company driver but I would not want a few more years of OTR in my future. It's easy to say leaving UPS was a mistake when you're not the one who has to go through it all. Team driving blows. Prison cells offer more room for 2 people. I never understood people who did it that weren't married or a couple in a relationship.
I know one person who ran UPS team then became a solo feeder. I can't remember how long it took but it was well over 5 years before he got out of that sleeper. After that it was nothing but night work for at least 10 years. I lost touch with that guy so I don't really know how it worked out.
We're in the slowest time of year for ltl and this year is worst than average. Ride it out as freight levels will increase. As the new guy you're sure to have a tough time getting work for the next 2 or 3 months. If they do keep you busy until spring you probably made your choice at a good time.

I'd bet any Denver ltl road driver running 5 days a week is making over $100,000 a year. Those guys run far due to how isolated that area is.
Most ltls have hubs in that city which should mean day runs are a possibility with enough seniority.
UPS feeder is as good as it gets for a company driver but I would not want a few more years of OTR in my future. It's easy to say leaving UPS was a mistake when you're not the one who has to go through it all. Team driving blows. Prison cells offer more room for 2 people. I never understood people who did it that weren't married or a couple in a relationship.
I know one person who ran UPS team then became a solo feeder. I can't remember how long it took but it was well over 5 years before he got out of that sleeper. After that it was nothing but night work for at least 10 years. I lost touch with that guy so I don't really know how it worked out.
We're in the slowest time of year for ltl and this year is worst than average. Ride it out as freight levels will increase. As the new guy you're sure to have a tough time getting work for the next 2 or 3 months. If they do keep you busy until spring you probably made your choice at a good time.
Yeah, this was a helluva time to switch jobs, with the recession looming. Wouldn't wanna be the bottom man on a seniority list.

But XPO is kinda notorious for working their guys hard, so I'm sure you'll be fine before long.