New Penn | Just Signed On With NP

d-bone

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all. I just signed on with NP and have heard nothing but good things about the company. Although I've been driving trucks for 6 years....I have no TT experience. I'll be docking it for a while but just wondering if guys are usually willing to help a new guy out. I start Monday and any input would be greatly appreciated.

d-bone said:
Hello all. I just signed on with NP and have heard nothing but good things about the company. Although I've been driving trucks for 6 years....I have no TT experience. I'll be docking it for a while but just wondering if guys are usually willing to help a new guy out. I start Monday and any input would be greatly appreciated.

well since your gonna be on the dock, better rev up that hi-lo and lace them boots up cause there's gonna be alot of frt. to load.

which Jersey trm. will you be working out of ? the one in S. Kearny is a ILA dock and the rest of them are combo barns.

well just take alot of direction and try not to make any waves. management can get under your skin but just let ride and do your job. they eventually leave you alone. good luck and welcome aboard !

Do what your told until you are on.Then know need to go like a bat out of He-- pace your salf.Someone JR may need time old timers can make it hard on you.As long as you are moving you are good.Management you will fined out play the game.

d-bone said:
Welcome to the boards d-bone. And Welcome to NP. These guys will take care of your questions here. DS.

d-bone said:
d-bone I think you made a good choice in NPMF. They are one of the best !!! What barn are you starting at ?

I know a lot of NP Teamsters & they are all decent, hard working guys who I'm sure would be happy to help you along in making the list.

Good luck !!

Thanks for all your replys. I'll be out of Cinnaminson, NJ. Believe me, the last thing I'm going to do is make waves....plan on working hard and doing what I'm told. As far as the management game.......I was a driver manager for a while.....had 28 guys. I was told I would be able to practice backing and general maneuvers on Saturdays but I would have to find a sponsor to stay.....know anyone? Once again I appreciate all your help.

d-bone said:
Thanks for all your replys. I'll be out of Cinnaminson, NJ. Believe me, the last thing I'm going to do is make waves....plan on working hard and doing what I'm told. As far as the management game.......I was a driver manager for a while.....had 28 guys. I was told I would be able to practice backing and general maneuvers on Saturdays but I would have to find a sponsor to stay.....know anyone? Once again I appreciate all your help.
First advice I can give is ..... ASK !! Ask any questions you have because management won't tell you anything, they somehow expect you to know ! Working the dock will require many long days and plenty of hard work, but the pay is great if you can stand the heat. Right now it appears we are a little slow so don't expect what you have observed so far to be " normal ".
As far as practice driving on Saturday mornings go ... wish I could help out, but I am road driver and our hours and times are very unpredictable. Just head out and practice whenever you can.
Good luck !

Welcome to the oards d-bone and good luck with the new job. NP is a good company with a bright future.

All the responses so far have been full of good advice. Follow that advice and you'll be just fine

Sovereign said:
What is the starting payrate? Is New Penn union? I live in New York.

what's up Sovereign. First off, NP is a Teamster job. Local 707 in NYC. what terminal are you in ? starting pay is about $16.00 pr/hr to start and in 2 years you'll be at top pay.

UnionTrucka said:
yes sir, and you drop a down to either $14 or $15 pr/hr once you make the list. pretty stupid but that's the way it is.
Casual rate is somewhere between 17 and 18 after making list it is somewhere around 16.30 for the first year @ 75% ,then 80% for the next 6 months then 90% for the following six !00% after two years..Hopefully they will do something about the progressive pay scale in the next contract Full scale in the NY metro area is 21.73
There aren't too many companies out there that do not do the progressive thing some are as long as 5 years so I guess ours isn't really that bad:roll1: truthfully I think it sucks:smile1:
Hey UT:poster_oops: I heard you were on a bike with a Hoffa sticker on it:roll1: That was hard to believe......crazy

sucks:smile1:
Hey UT:poster_oops: I heard you were on a bike with a Hoffa sticker on it:roll1: That was hard to believe......crazy[/QUOTE]

i saw it too
i also saw him shaking hands with the big guy:poster_oops:that is the big H