Kenworth Trucks At Ups Now..??

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
going about my earlier morning errands (about 6 AM), and behind me was a UPS truck, all shiny. day cab model.

UPS colors/logo

i took my exit, and as it passed on by, i saw that it was a twin screw as well.

when the heck did UPS turn to a more expensive truck over the cheaper freight shakers, volvos and macks..??

Kenworth bid lower than Mack on the 2018 ABF order. That is why they bought KWs. PACCAR has been trying to get their foot in the door to fleets for many years. Mack is a better tractor than KW. ABF went back to Mack this year.
Volvo owns Mack. Macks have had Volvo engines for many years

Kenworth bid lower than Mack on the 2018 ABF order. That is why they bought KWs. PACCAR has been trying to get their foot in the door to fleets for many years. Mack is a better tractor than KW. ABF went back to Mack this year.
Volvo owns Mack. Macks have had Volvo engines for many years
could i then assume that the K/W's have the PACCAR disposable engine as well..???

the last mack i had at NEMF, had a mack engine. not sure, but i think it was built long before volvo bought mack.

only drove one volvo at my former employer that i got hurt at, it was a penske loaner at the time. cannot really recall how that truck performed, as well as my route was all on flat roads.

could i then assume that the K/W's have the PACCAR disposable engine as well..???

the last mack i had at NEMF, had a mack engine. not sure, but i think it was built long before volvo bought mack.

Yes the 2018 ABF KW's have the PACCAR engine. I think the last highway Mack with a Mack engine was in 2006. 2007 was the year more strict emission laws took effect. Engines built in 2007 had to meet more strict emission standards & a DPF was required to meet those standards. Mack had difficulty making their old engines meet the newer standards. Volvo bought Mack from Renault. The trademark/brand Renault was cast into the mid 90's Mack blocks.

only drove one volvo at my former employer that i got hurt at, it was a penske loaner at the time. cannot really recall how that truck performed, as well as my route was all on flat roads.

The 2018 ABF KW's have the PACCAR engine.

R9crt3X.jpg

yeah, i certainly did not see chromed wheels or a stack, or naked lady mud flaps.
I saw one the other day with the big teeth on the grill...

Last edited:
Yes the 2018 ABF KW's have the PACCAR engine. I think the last highway Mack with a Mack engine was in 2006. 2007 was the year more strict emission laws took effect. Engines built in 2007 had to meet more strict emission standards & a DPF was required to meet those standards. Mack had difficulty making their old engines meet the newer standards. Volvo bought Mack from Renault. The trademark/brand Renault was cast into the mid 90's Mack blocks.

ok, i left NEMF in fall of 2005, so it was indeed a mack engine

to be honest, i don't keep up with who bought out who, or who is buying what, in this scenario, UPS buying K/W's, even if they are fleet spec'd trucks.

even when i was in the business, all that stuff never really mattered to much for me.

it was a truck that i'd be driving doing the job. check the fluid levels, check the tires, check the lights, and off i went.

i can appreciated others that know all the specs of all the various equipment out there.

i guess i gave up keeping up with such things, once i left the auto repair trade, where at the garages i worked at, knowing all there was to know about the different products made it easier to repair, and chase down problems. as back then, i'd be a mechanic in a repair shop, not a dealer product specific garage, where you really only need to know, one specific line of vehicles.

after x amount of time, the brain tires of all that internal record keeping.

ok, i left NEMF in fall of 2005, so it was indeed a mack engine

to be honest, i don't keep up with who bought out who, or who is buying what, in this scenario, UPS buying K/W's, even if they are fleet spec'd trucks.

even when i was in the business, all that stuff never really mattered to much for me.

it was a truck that i'd be driving doing the job. check the fluid levels, check the tires, check the lights, and off i went.

i can appreciated others that know all the specs of all the various equipment out there.

i guess i gave up keeping up with such things, once i left the auto repair trade, where at the garages i worked at, knowing all there was to know about the different products made it easier to repair, and chase down problems. as back then, i'd be a mechanic in a repair shop, not a dealer product specific garage, where you really only need to know, one specific line of vehicles.

after x amount of time, the brain tires of all that internal record keeping.
Working for a freight line like ABF you get experience on just about every engine, truck brand etc. That is where DCM came from. D-Detroit Diesel C-Caterpillar, Cummins M-Mack & Mercedes. Working in a dealership you probably learn more about one specific engine which probably helps you make or beat flat rate. When I was in the military I worked on just about everything imaginable. The military often had specialized equipment built for a specific need & often there was only a few in existence.

Working for a freight line like ABF you get experience on just about every engine, truck brand etc. That is where DCM came from. D-Detroit Diesel C-Caterpillar, Cummins M-Mack & Mercedes. Working in a dealership you probably learn more about one specific engine which probably helps you make or beat flat rate. When I was in the military I worked on just about everything imaginable. The military often had specialized equipment built for a specific need & often there was only a few in existence.
yeah, when i was in the repair trade, i really could never beat any flat rate time.

i was slow, and methodical,never in a rush, then have comebacks, in which in a flat rate shop, you do that repair all over again for the GIANT ZERO.

i worked one time at a firestone store (among the worst for wrenchers that do the job correctly the first time), and i got razed a lot, cuz i was so damned methodical. (for instances like, washing the rotors in hot water and soap to remove the microscopic filings from being machined, like actually REMOVING the wheel bearings, cleaning them, drying them and hand packing them, and using BRAND NEW grease seals)...

that took time, and "fast places" hate wasting time on such important work.

flat rate shops, or commission repair shops (ie, firestone, goodyear, sears, pepboys), push/press you to hurry up, diagnose, fix, and drive'em out the door, for the next victim.

which is why i loved being a good old fashion all around gas station mechanic.

yeah, when i was in the repair trade, i really could never beat any flat rate time.

i was slow, and methodical,never in a rush, then have comebacks, in which in a flat rate shop, you do that repair all over again for the GIANT ZERO.

i worked one time at a firestone store (among the worst for wrenchers that do the job correctly the first time), and i got razed a lot, cuz i was so damned methodical. (for instances like, washing the rotors in hot water and soap to remove the microscopic filings from being machined, like actually REMOVING the wheel bearings, cleaning them, drying them and hand packing them, and using BRAND NEW grease seals)...

flat rate shops, or commission repair shops (ie, firestone, goodyear, sears, pepboys), push/press you to hurry up, diagnose, fix, and drive'em out the door, for the next victim.

That you are.... being a good old fashion .... lol :poke::grin:

I started out as a mechanic too, and Pro here's a guy that runs a shop in upstate New York and he has a real good Youtube site, plain spoken, very smart, and entertaining to watch and learn from especially when tracking down computer and electrical issues, it's my favorite channel to watch and look forward to his videos each week. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA

I started out as a mechanic too, and Pro here's a guy that runs a shop in upstate New York and he has a real good Youtube site, plain spoken, very smart, and entertaining to watch and learn from especially when tracking down computer and electrical issues, it's my favorite channel to watch and look forward to his videos each week. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA
just watched a video, where he is using an incuction heater to remove a bolt.

i sure do wish those were around back in my days.

the "blue knife" was about the only tool to free up rusted nuts/bolts back then.

just watched a video, where he is using an incuction heater to remove a bolt.

i sure do wish those were around back in my days.

the "blue knife" was about the only tool to free up rusted nuts/bolts back then.
This is a longer one but it gives you an idea what his day is like, his wife runs the office, he's got a guy that just out of school that used to be a helper, and a young part time gal.

You know what they say out here,

Peter built it
Because Ken wasn't worth it

Who cares what ups is driving They are overdue for another bankruptcy filing so might as well go out with a bang