Yellow | Kinda silly

ABF had a fleet of these GMC's. They were known as 'Bubble Nose'. They had 6-71 power & some did have hydramatic transmissions. That was before my time there but I enjoyed hearing equipment history from the older guys. I am considered to be an old timer but I was not even in school when Breeze started in the business.
One of our mechanics spent a lot of time at the G M training center in Charl, he was well versed on those hydramatics and the Detroit engine.
Thanks.
Thanks for encouraging it.
LOL.
Why did you do that? Did you ever ask yourself that?
Or were the days when dispatch handed out pills with your bills?
In those days, no one dreamed of a 102" trailer, not even a 40-footer.
Yep, later in the 60s, we had our share of pills, if you could keep them hidden from the dispatchers, they were always bumming you for a pill.

One of our mechanics spent a lot of time at the G M training center in Charl, he was well versed on those hydramatics and the Detroit engine.

In those days, no one dreamed of a 102" trailer, not even a 40-footer.
Yep, later in the 60s, we had our share of pills, if you could keep them hidden from the dispatchers, they were always bumming you for a pill.
You guys are a wealth of info.
Good to find a place where you post.
And you know how to post.
My dad never touched a computer.
Good some learned.

You guys never ran hog-backed Ga 56 in the 50s
We had training wheels on the trailers to keep them on the road.
That roadway 20 miles on either side of I 81 is in some kind of weather vortex. Winter is always unpredictable and deadly right there. On top of the fact that it is a horribly engineered road to begin with.
I would bet though, that 2 of the biggest causes of accidents there is following too close, and speeding.

I would bet though, that 2 of the biggest causes of accidents there is following too close, and speeding.
The biggest cause is that people want too many skids hauled for too cheap.
That whomever contracts the roadwork isn't it in to make the road safe. They're there toake money and milk it and also have 1 guy doing the job of 200. If they used 200 guys for every one...the job might actually get done. And quicker......but that's not the game
The game is milking money from the state and federal government.

The road is unlevel to the extreme as our roads are.
There are concrete barriers pinching everybody together. There are ruts and holes
The lines aren't painted correctly alot of times.
It's unusual in that the truck safe lane is the left lane. Not the right. And it is posted that all trucks should be in left lane. There's an onramp in the stretch which doesn't allow for that for trucks getting on...so he is stuck in the illegal right lane.

I don't know if alot of drivers can even read English signs, therefore they can't even read to be in left lane instead of right. (once again cheap is more important than lives) Plus if doing 50 or whatever it says (I go slower) it goes by too fast and too even look might cause a wreck.
It's like an old wooden roller coaster.
Ya bounce all over.
It goes up hills and down and around several curves. I don't even smoke a cigarette in that stretch because you have to hold on and watch everything.

If I was governor I'd outlaw 102's and doubles on 78.
Until it's built safely.

Then it would be built quickly with the right amount of workers and equipment on the job.
Then the milkng it would end.
It's a stretch where they think they are breaking free finally from Jersey and NY or wherever..the Lehigh Valley...and the lost OTR guys think they see fields and woods...and it's time to make up some lost time.

Problem is...they are not free of it yet.
They think they are. They think it's time to mash the peddle.
Not free until past Hamburg. And right now farther than that because Hamburg has construction too.

Last edited:
The biggest cause is that people want too many skids hauled for too cheap.
That whomever contracts the roadwork isn't it in to make the road safe. They're there toake money and milk it and also have 1 guy doing the job of 200. If they used 200 guys for every one...the job might actually get done. And quicker......but that's not the game
The game is milking money from the state and federal government.

The road is unlevel to the extreme as our roads are.
There are concrete barriers pinching everybody together. There are ruts and holes
The lines aren't painted correctly alot of times.
It's unusual in that the truck safe lane is the left lane. Not the right. And it is posted that all trucks should be in left lane. There's an onramp in the stretch which doesn't allow for that for trucks getting on...so he is stuck in the illegal right lane.

I don't know if alot of drivers can even read English signs, therefore they can't even read to be in left lane instead of right. (once again cheap is more important than lives) Plus if doing 50 or whatever it says (I go slower) it goes by too fast and too even look might cause a wreck.
It's like an old wooden roller coaster.
Ya bounce all over.
It goes up hills and down and around several curves. I don't even smoke a cigarette in that stretch because you have to hold on and watch everything.

If I was governor I'd outlaw 102's and doubles on 78.
Until it's built safely.

Then it would be built quickly with the right amount of workers and equipment on the job.
Then the milkng it would end.
It's a stretch where they think they are breaking free finally from Jersey and NY or wherever..the Lehigh Valley...and the list OTR guys think they see fields and woods...and it's time to make up some list time.

Problem is...they are not free of it yet.
They think they are. They think it's time to mash the peddle.
Not free until past Hamburg. And right now farther than that because Hamburg has construction too.
I would say then, Wayne, you should round up your followers and protest signs, and head to the steps in Harrisburg, and stay there until they fix those issues.

1CFF5B6F-C1AE-4887-9742-EDE8BB0E7440.md.jpg

And Yellow with 102 pups...surprise surprise.
Same accident from the from above link. There were 2 shutdowns there this week....hours long. Unsafe roadway.
I'm not pulling them thru there. No thanks.
Happens up there all the time.
I'm not dying in a truck for greedy bastards who think they need 1 guy pulling 3-4 guys worth of skids in there. And they supposedly lose money doing it. How can you lose money with one guy doing 3-4 guys worth of pulling everywhere, all the time?

7XUWFA6IKNFDHMPPK57PBY3PPY.md.jpg

I don't do Facebook but can see the first few stories without joining. The dates are separate....all the time.
No thanks on the doubles at NPME...bring them and there will be problems.

That's supposed to be Facebook I-78 Sucks page...accidents always.
He probably shouldn't have unplugged the front radar unit....................................

He probably shouldn't have unplugged the front radar unit....................................
Looks like he's pretty straight and didn't hit too hard. Not so for the big truckers probably behind him.
Pretty amazing how his truck is pretty straight with the pups.

I78 is an accident waiting to happen from I287 in N.J. all the way to I81 in P.A.
And whose area was that until the COO reducing our area? My terminal.
Yellow is in there too.

That's why I say....take your big stupid trailers and stupid rig-job pups and shove them.
We went up 287 even from 78 to a couple Jersey towns.
And we still do 81 up thru Tremont, Pine Grove and Pottsville.

Looks like he's pretty straight and didn't hit too hard. Not so for the big truckers probably behind him.
Pretty amazing how his truck is pretty straight with the pups.
Braking on today's rigs is far ahead of just a few years back. Properly functioning ABS systems make a difference. Ideally the tractor, trailers & converter gear brakes would keep them straight. I am old enough to remember working on '121' brake systems from many years ago. ABS was a good idea even back then but technology wasn't advanced enough. The government mandated ABS was premature.

I78 is an accident waiting to happen from I287 in N.J. all the way to I81 in P.A.
Mr U you are exactly right. I haven't been on that road in more than 20 years. But I ran it from Carlisle to Newark and Hagerstown to Secaucus for years. As soon as the leaves start turning things are going to get real in that area. Also I misspoke on my last post. I know 78 ends at 81but 20 miles in any direction is a nightmare.

Braking on today's rigs is far ahead of just a few years back. Properly functioning ABS systems make a difference. Ideally the tractor, trailers & converter gear brakes would keep them straight. I am old enough to remember working on '121' brake systems from many years ago. ABS was a good idea even back then but technology wasn't advanced enough. The government mandated ABS was premature.
Back in 78, the company disabled our first 121 brakes, they were a nightmare.

And whose area was that until the COO reducing our area? My terminal.
Yellow is in there too.

That's why I say....take your big stupid trailers and stupid rig-job pups and shove them.
We went up 287 even from 78 to a couple Jersey towns.
And we still do 81 up thru Tremont, Pine Grove and Pottsville.
Easy brother, nothing is forever.
New Penn is history.
Unfortunately we don't own Yellow Freight.
Adapt to the present.
Don't hate and be happy.
:shift: