FedEx Freight | Lack of freight vs. lack of drivers vs. seniority

longhaullounger

...no longer uses Truckingboards.
Credits
This topic came up in conversation at my place a few days ago. A driver got cut for lack of freight and was given a longer run that I, an extra, had been doing for a while. So then I, in turn, got told I had no freight.

I called a senior driver and asked if he wanted a long weekend, to which he said, "Yeah, that sounds good." So I didn't miss much pay in the end. But I kept getting different stories from different guys on how this is all supposed to work.

The gist was that when a driver is cut from his bid, one way sends him to the top of the extra board while the other way sends him to the bottom of the extra board. But nobody seemed to be able to agree on which situation leads to which outcome.

Finally, one was telling me something like if you get cut from your bid by a senior driver who was cut for lack of freight, you can file a claim with FedEx Freight for whatever income you missed because of that decision? Sounded weird to me. Most jobs I've had, if you get bumped out of work, that's just too bad.

Anybody able to help me find the chapter-and-verse on this?

If you are an extra board driver you bid on extra runs or runs that are open due to time off based on your seniority. If there are no runs left and no bid drivers willing to take the night/day off, you sit, unpaid. You do not have a bid so there is nothing for you to file on unless a driver on the extra board, beneath you in seniority, got a run and you didn't have it offered to you. If a bid driver is cut for lack of freight, they go to their seniority spot on the extra board. If a bid driver is cut due to lack of drivers, they go to the bottom of the extra board.

Finally, one was telling me something like if you get cut from your bid by a senior driver who was cut for lack of freight, you can file a claim with FedEx Freight for whatever income you missed because of that decision? Sounded weird to me. Most jobs I've had, if you get bumped out of work, that's just too bad.
You didn’t get cut from your bid because your extra board slot isn’t a bid. Extra board is in order of seniority, except in the circumstances mentioned by @screweddaily. If the bid driver is canceled due to lack of freight, and that driver has more seniority than you, he gets called from the extra board ahead of you.

Filing a compensation claim would only come into play if that driver had less seniority than you.

This topic came up in conversation at my place a few days ago. A driver got cut for lack of freight and was given a longer run that I, an extra, had been doing for a while. So then I, in turn, got told I had no freight.
I called a senior driver and asked if he wanted a long weekend, to which he said, "Yeah, that sounds good." So I didn't miss much pay in the end. But I kept getting different stories from different guys on how this is all supposed to work.

The gist was that when a driver is cut from his bid, one way sends him to the top of the extra board while the other way sends him to the bottom of the extra board. But nobody seemed to be able to agree on which situation leads to which outcome.

Anybody able to help me find the chapter-and-verse on this?
Went round and round on this when I was new…. Just when you think you have figured out the “procedure” it changes. Lack of freight- lack of driver- more like lack of brains with dispatch. There’s a run in a lane you bid, you’d think you’d be rolling with it- wrong lol….
It all depends on which dispatcher is working and what years policy book gets the dust blown off of it on any given day…
Save your breath filing a claim- it will be denied. I’ve filed 2 different scenarios and both were denied based on the opposites claim set of circumstances. You can’t make this up it’s comical. Anyways I’ve never been forced to sit at home so I don’t carry grudges or whine about those things that happen here and there it’s not worth getting mad about…

I myself am not particular, however Seniority goes into play at Union Companies generally. Which is why I had the idea to tease a little bit about those lists.

Its wonderful that Drivers can stay with a outfit so long that they become institutionalized.

HE HE HE.
True. We bid everything like a union (start times, trucks etc), but none of the perks of a union. I used to think it was strange but 8 years later.....

If you are an extra board driver you bid on extra runs or runs that are open due to time off based on your seniority. If there are no runs left and no bid drivers willing to take the night/day off, you sit, unpaid. You do not have a bid so there is nothing for you to file on unless a driver on the extra board, beneath you in seniority, got a run and you didn't have it offered to you. If a bid driver is cut for lack of freight, they go to their seniority spot on the extra board. If a bid driver is cut due to lack of drivers, they go to the bottom of the extra board.
Thank you, this makes sense.

Went round and round on this when I was new…. Just when you think you have figured out the “procedure” it changes. Lack of freight- lack of driver- more like lack of brains with dispatch. There’s a run in a lane you bid, you’d think you’d be rolling with it- wrong lol….
It all depends on which dispatcher is working and what years policy book gets the dust blown off of it on any given day…
Save your breath filing a claim- it will be denied. I’ve filed 2 different scenarios and both were denied based on the opposites claim set of circumstances. You can’t make this up it’s comical. Anyways I’ve never been forced to sit at home so I don’t carry grudges or whine about those things that happen here and there it’s not worth getting mad about…
Lack of drivers policy is ONE of the worst at this company! So if you don't have any freight I go to board in my seniority. If you don't have enough drivers I GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD! What idiot would punish drivers for coming to work? Lack of drivers is a FedEx problem! Don't punish me because you don't have enough.

I started saving my personal days for when they called me and said we canceled you due to lack of drivers. I would say now you need another one bye bye now.

And……. If you TRY to file, they will find a way not to pay you!!!!!! Just happened to me. So, I will never file again because it’s a game!!!!

And……. If you TRY to file, they will find a way not to pay you!!!!!! Just happened to me. So, I will never file again because it’s a game!!!!
If you get canceled due to lack of drivers and you are forced on a run smaller than yours they pay you the difference in miles.

You have to take the biggest run available to get difference. I got paid several times, but I would rather be on board in my seniority because I always got crap runs..

If you get canceled due to lack of drivers and you are forced on a run smaller than yours they pay you the difference in miles.

You have to take the biggest run available to get difference. I got paid several times, but I would rather be on board in my seniority because I always got crap runs..
See, good thing about being an extra at my house is, it's just the opposite of most: Instead of fighting each other for the longest bids, our guys practically fight each other to get an extra day off. So if I'm cut due to lack of freight, someone is sure to let me work in their place.

Lack of drivers policy is ONE of the worst at this company! So if you don't have any freight I go to board in my seniority. If you don't have enough drivers I GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD! What idiot would punish drivers for coming to work? Lack of drivers is a FedEx problem! Don't punish me because you don't have enough.

I started saving my personal days for when they called me and said we canceled you due to lack of drivers. I would say now you need another one bye bye now.
How about the part where they cut the “most appropriate bid”, which one is that?

Then it says they can give the canceled run away to city or outside drivers!!!

Why bid anything anymore? Seniority means nothing with the new policies.

You are 100% correct my friend…….. YOU WILL BE DENIED!!!!!
No no my friend file at every single opportunity, I filed the same claim more than 20 times because I was right. They denied the appeal 18 times and paid it the last 2 times. And check the signature on your denial letter. Same guy Michael something has 20 different hand writing styles. They move the goal posts every time it suits them. Make THEM earn their damn money.