FedEx Freight | Lack of freight vs. lack of drivers vs. seniority

Not to mention you'd find out who actually does a pre-trip and who never even bothers to roll a hood or thump a tire. I thought that was as much a reason to bid tractors as driver satisfaction, but I'm just a dumb truck driver.
I had to put 2 gallons into a city unit one day that was driven by the same maggot every day , nothing was said to the driver by the shop or TM/Sups .

I had to put 2 gallons into a city unit one day that was driven by the same maggot every day , nothing was said to the driver by the shop or TM/Sups .
If you don't hold people accountable for stuff like that, you shouldn't come around to warn us about it when parts can't show up (thanks, China) and every 24-hour shop has three or four rows of trucks waiting on repairs. Cause and effect.

There is no accountability anymore at FDX .
You can hear the Ground trucks motor knocking
so hard my wife laughs when it's down the block .
It's a joke , the whole thing is a joke . I still say my
FDX Express driver is one of the best men I ever
meet in 42 years of driving and he's leaving as soon
as he can at 59.5 , goodbye old friend .

Not to mention you'd find out who actually does a pre-trip and who never even bothers to roll a hood or thump a tire. I thought that was as much a reason to bid tractors as driver satisfaction, but I'm just a dumb truck driver.
I can do a tale. You would believe it too.

I had a wondeful tractor. I was very possessive and territorial over it. It was not much of a tractor, a tiny little 300 M11 with a bit of jacobs on a rockwell 9. But it was a beloved tractor. I loved on it, hugged and squeezed it, added replacement parts when stuff broke on my own dime and so on. (Plastic switches in particular, metal switches fixed that)

They made me hand keys to someone to take the whole thing to Jersey for three days.

I pouted like a very angry teen for the entire time afraid what I will get back.

1800 dollars in dealer repars over 7 more days.

I swear if I ever see that situation again on my assigned tractor that is 100% as I can make it no boss is going to make me give the keys to anyone for a few days for any reason. Not when they have 50 effing tractors by the shop building waiting on tags in the office.

Fast forward years. My spouse by then was getting used to being maried to a trucker. Im under my new tractor replacing tank valves in the air system with stronger material valves and getting all worked up. She comes up and say let the shop do that. What? Hell no woman, when a man loves a tractor more than a wife....

tsk tsk tsk me and my big mouth.

If its a bid with the same gate times and destination, you move the guy up in the chain OR you fill the run if its not cancelled.

Now where that gets dicey is if that particular run drops out of trailers, a bid driver would get cancelled lack of freight and if the board has already been offered out, you're not supposed to walk back and go through it again. If the super goes back through the board, hes just being a nice guy, there is zero obligation for him to do so and its his choice.

We have a few different cancellation reasons at the moment: Lack of Driver, Lack of Freight, Better Business Decision - The issue is the change in procedure for LOF sometimes gets confused. LOD/BBD goes in seniority order, LOF you drop to the bottom nomatter what. But atleast at my terminal a majority of cancellations are ran as BBD since we have some freight but not enough to actually justify the expense of running a driver there. (Now that I think about it, that might be for LOD.)

Ask your TM for a password, login to a company computer, head to home.fedex.com (Will not work outside the network) - click on freight in the top corner where all the opcos are location and then click on knowledgebase, it may ask you to sign in again but there is the best way to view up-to-date policy. Though its always written with lots of grey area room to allow local management to make certain decisions.
“Dicey”
Perfect explanation
Haha

I am reminded of some tractors on which I was expected and did a full days driving on 50 gallons of fuel in one side tank. A little side tank.

I ruminate on that sometimes.

Lack of drivers policy is ONE of the worst at this company! So if you don't have any freight I go to board in my seniority. If you don't have enough drivers I GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD! What idiot would punish drivers for coming to work? Lack of drivers is a FedEx problem! Don't punish me because you don't have enough.

I started saving my personal days for when they called me and said we canceled you due to lack of drivers. I would say now you need another one bye bye now.
The thing is, they don't know officially they have a lack of drivers until all extra board guys have chosen their runs. That's how it works.

I'm an XB driver, and chose this position because I get to run days more often than not. (Confession - I haven't read any replies.)

Here's how it works:
If there are too few drivers to move freight, all available drivers MUST be exhausted before any runs are canceled. So, anyone that's canceled goes to XB and fills available runs that haven't been canceled. You've already been offered and accepted a run at this point.

If there isn't enough freight for everyone to run, canceled drivers move to XB in seniority order. Example: Although I'm XB, I would fall in at number 5 on our night side. Should I be available at night, anyone #4 or higher would be above me, and anyone #5 or lower would be below me, should anyone be canceled for lack of freight.

The reason LOF drops you in at seniority is because not every driver has been used yet. In that scenario, you have to offer runs by seniority.

Any time tractors get passed around and bosses howl when they see rotting fast food, news papers and so on knee deep on the other side of the Shifter Boot.

IF they stop sharing the trucks and assign them... they will be in much better shape until all the dirtys are eliminated.
Open the passenger door and push it out. When they tell you to clean it up, quick answer, "It's not mine. Call in the last driver."

I'm an XB driver, and chose this position because I get to run days more often than not. (Confession - I haven't read any replies.)

Here's how it works:
If there are too few drivers to move freight, all available drivers MUST be exhausted before any runs are canceled. So, anyone that's canceled goes to XB and fills available runs that haven't been canceled. You've already been offered and accepted a run at this point.

If there isn't enough freight for everyone to run, canceled drivers move to XB in seniority order. Example: Although I'm XB, I would fall in at number 5 on our night side. Should I be available at night, anyone #4 or higher would be above me, and anyone #5 or lower would be below me, should anyone be canceled for lack of freight.

The reason LOF drops you in at seniority is because not every driver has been used yet. In that scenario, you have to offer runs by seniority.
We didn't have the problem in Charl as your nonunion contract.
If your bid was canceled, you lost the trip, a bid driver couldn't bump on the extra board.
If the extra board was exhausted, they may ask if you wanted to run an extra trip.
If you accepted it could cause you to miss your next bid, and you could not run another round on the extra board.
This was in the (Carolina Supplement)

We didn't have the problem in Charl as your nonunion contract.
If your bid was canceled, you lost the trip, a bid driver couldn't bump on the extra board.
If the extra board was exhausted, they may ask if you wanted to run an extra trip.
If you accepted it could cause you to miss your next bid, and you could not run another round on the extra board.
This was in the (Carolina Supplement)
Carolina Supplement? Isn't that the extra long grain rice? :hide:

Open the passenger door and push it out. When they tell you to clean it up, quick answer, "It's not mine. Call in the last driver."
One day I got a hold of a particularly bad tractor. Mold and everything crawling on the old meat in the sun.

I put the thing next to a fire stand with another tractor by chain to it's frame. Got the firehouse off the building (A little one and half incher) opened the water feed and let her have it from driver side door across the inside of the cab out of the passenger door onto the ground.

Seeing that was a old pre computer tractor I went ahead and hosed the whole thing nicely in great detail. Then left it to sit and dry while I went to lunch.

The bosses saw it and started yelling. They were deeply offended and abused me that hurt to this day. I defended myself and told them to go find so and so that assigned THIS tractor number to me for that run. And here we are.

There is one silver lining to that day. I have never ever been handed a dirty tractor ever again for the rest of my time with that employer.