ABF | Lack of Maintenance

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
I would like to start a thread about this. I would like others to give examples also. I have two things
The first is equipment. My TM likes to put equipment back in service on the computer after a driver puts it out of service. He has no knowledge of the operation or safety of equipment. Another one of his tricks is to erase or not even put it on our board for needing repair.
Then there is the building, specifically dock doors. We put a note on his desk and he was also verbally told about several doors needing repair on July 13th. Still not fixed. Imagine my surprise this morning when I came in to find our new security device is two skids in front of a door that wouldn't go down....facing the street! Can't make this up. Of course he will blame others and say he wasn't there, but he has known for almost 3 months! Unbelievable...

Now guys, you all are going to have to cut ABF some slack when it comes to repairs. After all, they have only made $196 million dollars in profits for the first two quarters this year ($80 million first quarter/$116 million second quarter).
:chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:
If they didn't overpay their employees they could make more.
I thought I would beat Razor to this reply.

I would like to start a thread about this. I would like others to give examples also. I have two things
The first is equipment. My TM likes to put equipment back in service on the computer after a driver puts it out of service. He has no knowledge of the operation or safety of equipment. Another one of his tricks is to erase or not even put it on our board for needing repair.
Then there is the building, specifically dock doors. We put a note on his desk and he was also verbally told about several doors needing repair on July 13th. Still not fixed. Imagine my surprise this morning when I came in to find our new security device is two skids in front of a door that wouldn't go down....facing the street! Can't make this up. Of course he will blame others and say he wasn't there, but he has known for almost 3 months! Unbelievable...
At one time we had hostlers pull the defect cards to keep from breaking the tractor from the load if it was a through load. Some shop supervisors would do the same to meet the lineup if power units were needed. At one time the dock/terminal supervisors could take tractors & trailers out of shop status. One assistant terminal manager did this to a trailer with rusted spring hangers. The trailer was stopped at the scales in Tennessee & pulled out of service. Nothing was done to the management type individual. As I remember corrections were made to where only the shop could take a unit out of shop status.
While I am on the subject, a tandem trailer with one axle removed was pulled from behind the trailer shop & loaded. The dock foreman called the shop wanting to get the axle put back in that night so the trailer would not have to be unloaded.

At one time we had hostlers pull the defect cards to keep from breaking the tractor from the load if it was a through load. Some shop supervisors would do the same to meet the lineup if power units were needed. At one time the dock/terminal supervisors could take tractors & trailers out of shop status. One assistant terminal manager did this to a trailer with rusted spring hangers. The trailer was stopped at the scales in Tennessee & pulled out of service. Nothing was done to the management type individual. As I remember corrections were made to where only the shop could take a unit out of shop status.
While I am on the subject, a tandem trailer with one axle removed was pulled from behind the trailer shop & loaded. The dock foreman called the shop wanting to get the axle put back in that night so the trailer would not have to be unloaded.
You are correct that a shop supervisor is the only ones that can now take a tractor, converter gear or a trailer out of shop status (at 004). The problem we now have in NLR is with the hand-helds showing a piece of equipment in “shop status” in red at the top of the screen. But, when you take it to the shop, fill out a VCR on it and turn it in, the shop supervisor may well pull it up on his/her computer and clear it because his computer has no notes on it. The other problem we are having is with the empty trailers on the yard. When we get an empty trailer from the yard to back to the dock to start loading, it does not come up on the hand-held as being in “shop status” until you try to enter it after you have already backed it in to the door. And, there is not a defect card on the trailer to let you know. Same thing with hooking an empty rear trailer going out. You won’t know that it is in shop status until after you have hooked it and enter the trailer number. This is a major time killer and holds up the road driver going out on a scheduled run as we now have to unhook and drop the rear trailer and re-hook another empty trailer. Needless to say, there needs to be a better system than we currently have.

Last edited:
Talk to all your guys and get on the same page. Then when you write up a tractor, make sure to leave a copy in the truck!!! One, I haven't had one TM who'll walk out and look in a tractor, so if he puts it back in service and the repair wasn't done... Call Safety!!! I always made sure to keep my copy till all repairs were made, I also time stamped them. I had one TM try to claim I never wrote a trailer up, boy did he change his tune when I showed he the time stamp!!!

Talk to all your guys and get on the same page. Then when you write up a tractor, make sure to leave a copy in the truck!!! One, I haven't had one TM who'll walk out and look in a tractor, so if he puts it back in service and the repair wasn't done... Call Safety!!! I always made sure to keep my copy till all repairs were made, I also time stamped them. I had one TM try to claim I never wrote a trailer up, boy did he change his tune when I showed he the time stamp!!!
Good advice, safety was already called.

We used to put a relocube in the door that was broken on the weekend

A long time ago in a land far away, we had an equipment safety issue the company wouldn't address despite repeated write ups, etc. OK, hated to do this, but they asked for it. Next time I saw a roadside inspection I pulled off despite being waved off, and politely explained to the officials what our problem was. They held me there until a mechanic was sent out to make the fix and warned the company that every unit they saw would be pulled over if the fixes weren't made to all the affected units. Problem solved.

A long time ago in a land far away, we had an equipment safety issue the company wouldn't address despite repeated write ups, etc. OK, hated to do this, but they asked for it. Next time I saw a roadside inspection I pulled off despite being waved off, and politely explained to the officials what our problem was. They held me there until a mechanic was sent out to make the fix and warned the company that every unit they saw would be pulled over if the fixes weren't made to all the affected units. Problem solved.
TM start calling you Mr Bastard after that? Or just the B word?

It took 184 three years to get the dock plates fixed & safty was called along with multiple grievance's filed. We finally got new plates the cheap ones of course, they took out the kelly plates raised the cheap ones uo 2 inches with concrete so we can use them with vans....