ABF | Lay-off/sick Days

I dont know why this applys, but sick days are given Jan 1st. You have to work 1 day in January before being able to use.. So call off Jan 1st, cant use sick day, or use 1st as holiday, call off 2nd, no days.. Odd rule.. But is how it is here.

Good luck Nightowl. And if all these people are correct please post if you get paid your unused sick days so I can pass it along.
I’m not going anywhere YET. The guy just above me called and asked me cause he’s moving on. I wasn’t sure so I told him I’d try and find out. I was really just asking for a friend. LOL

If a laid off employee resigns or does not get to work at least 90-days during the 2019 calendar year, then he/she does lose the sick days remaining for that calendar year. Also, if a laid off employee is returned to full time status during the 2019 calendar year, he/she is immediately eligible to start using any remaining sick days they have left for the calendar year. The key is to remain on the seniority roster and work at least 90-days. Here at the "Rock", we have not had a layoff in the city/dock operation in a very long time because of the mass exodus that happened when the "Fort" told us that we would be moved to Memphis back in 2014. Now that the move is off the table, we are slowly building our full time numbers back up. So, it has been a long time since we have dealt with a layoff and my memory may be a little rusty because of this. But, as far as I know, nothing has changed since the last time we did have a layoff and rulings in the Book of Interptretations are generally set in stone as are MOU's.

The company not only lost some good employees it also lost credibility & reputation with the threat of a move. Up till this attempt at spite this was one of the best jobs in the state. There were always applicants wanting to start their career with ABF. The company peed in it's own canteen with this costly 'get even with L.R.' move. However there was some consolation because the company learned how difficult is to replace experienced, dependable employees in the dock & shop.

I dont know why this applys, but sick days are given Jan 1st. You have to work 1 day in January before being able to use.. So call off Jan 1st, cant use sick day, or use 1st as holiday, call off 2nd, no days.. Odd rule.. But is how it is here.
we're the same, now when I asked before putting in to retire.. I was told to use the sick and personal days as the only thing they would pay was unused vacation time. Right or wrong I didn't take any chances and from the middle of march to the end of April I used all but 6 vac days which they cut a check for. Also guys Remember your vacation time you take before retiring counts as time worked towards your pension and health ins. So by doing it the way I did with a small copay( I'm told around 300) I'll be covered till the end of Sept by health ins.

We currently have a case pending about this very thing. We have a member that used FMLA on December 31st and called off for a paid sick day on January 2nd. The company did not pay him for the New Years holiday because he did not work his last scheduled day before or the first scheduled day after the holiday. According to Article 53, an employee must work either the last scheduled day before or the first scheduled day after a holiday in order to get holiday pay unless the employee can prove illness or absence is mutually agreed upon. We grieved it contending that (1) FMLA should be considered an excused absence (mutually agreed upon) and (2) by contract we get five new paid sick days at the start of each calendar year. The company is trying to say that you are not eligible to use a paid sick day until you have actually "hit the clock" one time when the new year starts (which is not stated in the contract anywhere). They are also claiming that FMLA is not an excused absence nor is it mutually agreed upon. It looks like the Grievance Panel is going to have to make a decision about this one as the company so far has not agreed to settle.

We currently have a case pending about this very thing. We have a member that used FMLA on December 31st and called off for a paid sick day on January 2nd. The company did not pay him for the New Years holiday because he did not work his last scheduled day before or the first scheduled day after the holiday. According to Article 53, an employee must work either the last scheduled day before or the first scheduled day after a holiday in order to get holiday pay unless the employee can prove illness or absence is mutually agreed upon. We grieved it contending that (1) FMLA should be considered an excused absence (mutually agreed upon) and (2) by contract we get five new paid sick days at the start of each calendar year. The company is trying to say that you are not eligible to use a paid sick day until you have actually "hit the clock" one time when the new year starts (which is not stated in the contract anywhere). They are also claiming that FMLA is not an excused absence nor is it mutually agreed upon. It looks like the Grievance Panel is going to have to make a decision about this one as the company so far has not agreed to settle.
Interested how this works out. I agree the contract does not state this..