ABF | Lay off

vongrimmenstein

I stand for our flag, & kneel for the fallen
Credits
I heard 050 put a new man to work on Monday & yesterday on Friday they laid off 3 guys. Now the new hire can't work until the other 3 are called back. Before this new shuffle of workers there were 6 people off work for injury or illness. Now we are coming in to the most profitable quarter for ABF with a huge manpower shortage. And we are still leaving outbound freight sitting in trailers in the yard waiting to to be worked the next day. And 3 people retiring between now & the end of October. I still say their end game is to bankrupt ABF & taking profits out of one company & placing them in to another. When ABF is gone so is the Pension Debit that hung over their heads. Game over.. von

I believe you are correct Von, or somebody's BONUS hangs on some stupid F-ing metric, so to make sure they get that they will disrupt and destroy other peoples lives. I hope they burn in ....
I would imagine Conway will start the same stuff. Isn't it odd how Conway voted the union in at a couple of terminals and now it is sold to a broker who by nature uses Owner/Operators.

If the Teamsters at 050 who always work "over" and come in "early" would start saying "NO" then management would have to keep those guys on but sadly I believe there are more Me-sters here then Teamsters.

I think if you are that small you should be ok. Hard to imagine doing with less unless you were in Maui or something. Lol

On the road board at my terminal our bottom driver arrived home on Monday and did not get out again until just after midnight Saturday Morning. Senior extra board drivers that were not rested until after he left did not get out until after sunrise. The really spooky part is that we are supposed to hire more road drivers. None of our current road drivers have any idea why we would hire more road drivers.

Brother Von just put a chill up my spine with his synopsis. I would guess that's pretty plausible,......and one way of getting out of pension liability. Not a moral,....or honest,....or ethical way,...but, Hey!....as I had a dispatcher tell me once when I told him I had a "moral aversion" to crossing a picket line......."Morals never put food on your plate,.....go cross that line!" And.......we all know what a ravenously hungry,....hollow-eyed group of investors we have ,.......Can't let them starve!

I heard 050 put a new man to work on Monday & yesterday on Friday they laid off 3 guys. Now the new hire can't work until the other 3 are called back. Before this new shuffle of workers there were 6 people off work for injury or illness. Now we are coming in to the most profitable quarter for ABF with a huge manpower shortage. And we are still leaving outbound freight sitting in trailers in the yard waiting to to be worked the next day. And 3 people retiring between now & the end of October. I still say their end game is to bankrupt ABF & taking profits out of one company & placing them in to another. When ABF is gone so is the Pension Debit that hung over their heads. Game over.. von
Maybe you're the XPO missing link?

I heard about 1 guy or more per terminal starting Monday. I hope its just a rumor though

It isn't a rumor... I was told verbally on Friday this same thing along with "your layoff letter is in the mail"... Get to wake up every morning now wondering if I will work or not. Funny thing is though, this company can leave freight sitting on a dock or in a trailer, but send a driver late with a Upack or a full pup single bill or a timekeeper but leave due or past due LTL behind... Anyway, guess I will wait this out and see what happens, unless a good opportunity happens to come about...

hey von, i was not aware any new person started on monday, but i agree with ur assessment...

Crop...when did you hear this? What about the SMALL terminals who have only 4 or 5 guys?
I bet they call call every day everyone that is off from work & the new hire. I might be wrong but they always did in the past when we had half the current bill count & the outlying terminals were up & running. With double your drive time & pleasure I would be surprised if they didn't call the every day. If they don't, then we are really slow. Who is going to be there to make the 3 Amazon pulls @ 1600. You know they are going to pull people off the dock to make those times, leaving 2 or 3 dock men to work 400 bills & close by 1930 hours? We all know how that will work out. Call dispatch ask for a door, put it in the yard. Leave freight overnight to many times, **** off the customer, lose the freight, and lay off another 3 to 5 people in the busiest quarter of this company. Are my thoughts here reaching too far? Or am I pretty close to what might happen. Like the sign said entering the Jim Jones Compound ‘Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it’. Be safe out there. Von.

Von....According to one of the guys who got laid off it was two guys plus the new hire. They are losing a guy this week to retirement so that probably figures into the equation.

I heard about 1 guy or more per terminal starting Monday. I hope its just a rumor though
Definitely not a rumor. Here at 185 we had a Senior man come in for his bid shift and when he heard about the kid at the bottom being layed off on Mon. turned in his resignation and went home. He was scheduled to retire in Oct but when he heard about this latest edict from the Fort said FTS and left. TM says he is not allowed to use the man on layoff until given permission from Fort so he probably saved the kid a good month of layoff.

Definitely not a rumor. Here at 185 we had a Senior man come in for his bid shift and when he heard about the kid at the bottom being layed off on Mon. turned in his resignation and went home. He was scheduled to retire in Oct but when he heard about this latest edict from the Fort said FTS and left. TM says he is not allowed to use the man on layoff until given permission from Fort so he probably saved the kid a good month of layoff.
Now theres a real TEAMSTER BROTHER.