ABF | Lay off

Lol? Cmon, it looks to me like your all crying on the inside. Lighten up
Oh, trust me their " Opie Taylor", after dealing with lying dispatchers, irate customers, jealous co-workers, 3rd shift with snot frozen on my face on the dock, mergers and sell- outs ,it would take a lot more than name-calling that you hit us with to move my mad-meter. I came to Yellow ( union) from Thurston ( non-union). At Thurston you helped each other by taking days off as a senior guy, to keep youngsters working in the winter. One good thing about Union (about the only thing good now), I took my beating for the first 10 years to owe no one anything later after growing some whiskers. I made it to #6 and Yellow bought Roadway (back to 15th, (ouch, that hurt). The guy behind me went from 7 to 22 ( so I was blessed). I always accepted my bid , whatever my seniority would hold. After 38 yrs. the body gave up and I had to retire. But the NEW BREED youngsters want to come in at 9, drive a Volvo w/ac,and run drop and hooks all day in the city. Remember, the most free flowing water throughout time has been tears, let em flow baby, let them flow.

Those feelings of entitlement are prevalent throughout this newest generation and our industry is not immune from the phenomenon. I don't know where it all went wrong or who's responsible but it exist on a grand scale.
Yea, but it is changing. Just as soon as it slaps them upside the head.

Oh, trust me their " Opie Taylor", after dealing with lying dispatchers, irate customers, jealous co-workers, 3rd shift with snot frozen on my face on the dock, mergers and sell- outs ,it would take a lot more than name-calling that you hit us with to move my mad-meter. I came to Yellow ( union) from Thurston ( non-union). At Thurston you helped each other by taking days off as a senior guy, to keep youngsters working in the winter. One good thing about Union (about the only thing good now), I took my beating for the first 10 years to owe no one anything later after growing some whiskers. I made it to #6 and Yellow bought Roadway (back to 15th, (ouch, that hurt). The guy behind me went from 7 to 22 ( so I was blessed). I always accepted my bid , whatever my seniority would hold. After 38 yrs. the body gave up and I had to retire. But the NEW BREED youngsters want to come in at 9, drive a Volvo w/ac,and run drop and hooks all day in the city. Remember, the most free flowing water throughout time has been tears, let em flow baby, let them flow.
Agreed driver. City guy out of my barn come down south scab outfit. Just been with Holland 3 yes, got a 5am start (due to massive retiring and quit to buster freight) and has the nerve to bitch about not getting solid load del and guys on same start with more seniority runs them everyday. He thinks it should rotate to each driver. He should be grateful just to have a such an early start time. Clearly doesn't understand seniority is all we have left.

Wow!! You are DEFFINATELY crying now. Good Lord!

Ticker UACL
Universal's financial performance reflects continuing soft demand for truckload transportation services from customers in the steel, energy and selected industrial sectors. Our logistics operations generally continue to operate at anticipated volume levels, but foreign currency impacts and implementation costs at certain operations have restrained operating margins somewhat. Price momentum for our intermodal business has slowed, dampening the rate of growth seen in recent quarters.

According to transport topics SWIFT is also reporting soft freight demand, October 5 th.

That is a big problem, Brother,..........and that's why I had high hopes for "Obamacare"....We had a guy retire about a year and a half ago,..instead of his being forced to take COBRA insurance at $1426.00 a month for 18 months, he went to the Health Care exchange and got comparable insurance for about $400.00 a month,..........a savings of over $60,000 for the 5 years it will take to get to Medicare age,....that is provided he stayed with medical insurance priced similar to the 18 month mandatory (prior to Obamacare...) COBRA insurance.....A savings at any rate.....Will the next President /Congress de-fund Obamacare? Do they have an alternative plan? Or will it be just go back to the way the insurance people and employers want it? This will affect my retirement date greatly.........If I could afford the healthcare until Medicare, I'd go now,.....But I guess I've got to wait and see what the Solons of Intelligence in Congress will do next year......
For $400 you get a plan that has a 6K deductible. No copay on anything until you meet your 6K deductible. Somebodies blowing smoke. If you were to buy a comparable plan, it'd cost you well over 1700K and have crappier dental.

Agreed driver. City guy out of my barn come down south scab outfit. Just been with Holland 3 yes, got a 5am start (due to massive retiring and quit to buster freight) and has the nerve to bitch about not getting solid load del and guys on same start with more seniority runs them everyday. He thinks it should rotate to each driver. He should be grateful just to have a such an early start time. Clearly doesn't understand seniority is all we have left.
He doesn't understand it because he has never sacrificed anything to get the good start times & great drive bids. Don't worry, reality will slap him up side his face soon enough.

A little off topic but still applies somewhat, can a full-time driver/dock man bump a part-time dock worker even if it's going to cause the full-time guy to go into overtime?

I spent 13 years at Thurston Memphis. Learned our traded well at that place.

I spent 13 years at Thurston Memphis. Learned our traded well at that place.
It was a good 14 years of learning. Learned to drive by putting my trailers to the dock at night ( third shift) so I didn't have to wait on 1 hostler for 15 men. Got my CDL right before Brown bought Thurston in 1987 and then went out of business in 1999. Brown took out income tax on us but did not pay the Government with it.( NOT THE SHARPEST CRAYONS IN THE BOS, HUH). That helped me be able to get on at Yellow for 24 more years. I have been blessed. Six metal rods hold my spine up( spinal instrumentation) w- metal plates in upper spine, but it was still a great paying job to give a little girl all she needed and wanted( including college). VERY BLESSED

I have been blessed. Six metal rods hold my spine up( spinal instrumentation) w- metal plates in upper spine, but it was still a great paying job to give a little girl all she needed and wanted( including college). VERY BLESSED
That sounds painful yet you maintain an upbeat attitude. Congratulations on all that you have.

For $400 you get a plan that has a 6K deductible. No copay on anything until you meet your 6K deductible. Somebodies blowing smoke. If you were to buy a comparable plan, it'd cost you well over 1700K and have crappier dental.
Took me a while to check with the guy because,......obviously, he's on retirement,....,.. but, no,......his deductible is $1000......Obviously his situation and age are different than the parameters you used to come up with your figures. In his case, it's liveable,.......and much better than COBRA insurance you were forced with prior to Obamacare.

Conversely, my younger brother with wife and four children working for a contractor with no insurance, is now forced to pay $1300.00 a month because of the law changes. He is looking for a job with employer-paid health care now........and he complains about Obamacare. Feels that he was better off with no insurance...( .,.or no pension, for that matter).......and going to the clinic or emergency room only when he needed it.

I have mixed feelings about that......

wxFLxsf.jpg

Is this the reason for the layoffs?

wait for this change of operations to take effect. our guys will be sitting in lots waiting for 2-3 hours for meet drivers while those trucks whip on by hauling timekeepers and long distant freight. oh its only beginning.. 50% abf handling of ARCBEST revenue here we go..