Estes | lay offs

m3sews

TB Lurker
Credits
reading the posts, I hear a lot about lay offs, that seem to happen regularly. Do those laid off generally get called back or replaced by new drivers? Are there some areas that it happens more than others? Some positions more than others? How much notice do you usually get if being laid off? Do they allow you to move to another terminal or position to avoid being laid off?

I see lots of terminals are hiring. How concerned should one applying be of a future/near future lay off?

[quote author=m3sews link=topic=79955.msg827960#msg827960 date=1273287145]
reading the posts, I hear a lot about lay offs, that seem to happen regularly. Do those laid off generally get called back or replaced by new drivers? Are there some areas that it happens more than others? Some positions more than others? How much notice do you usually get if being laid off? Do they allow you to move to another terminal or position to avoid being laid off?

I see lots of terminals are hiring. How concerned should one applying be of a future/near future lay off?
[/quote]
They've been calling back laid-off drivers straight down the seniority list. I've noticed good employees are allowed to transfer if there's an opening. Layoffs are not a normal thing here.

[quote author=mildew link=topic=79955.msg827973#msg827973 date=1273290478]

[/quote]
They've been calling back laid-off drivers straight down the seniority list. I've noticed good employees are allowed to transfer if there's an opening. Layoffs are not a normal thing here.
[/quote]LMFAO driver!!!! Are you for real? Teamster Elvis buckling over with laughter pain.....

[quote author=elvis link=topic=79955.msg828081#msg828081 date=1273339357]

[/quote]
[/quote]LMFAO driver!!!! Are you for real? Teamster Elvis buckling over with laughter pain.....
[/quote]

Why is this funny?

These are legitimate questions.

No need to ridicule a brother who is trying to glean as much info as possible b4 making a major decision.

Dude...your schtik is old...tiresome...boring...and now insulting.

If you have nothing better than belittling good folks who have honest questions...you need to find another toy...just look down...and see yourself.

Rat

Estes does NOT lay people off.. they have "reductions in work force" They will openly tell you if you want to be considered to come back, re-apply. Senority means nothing and if you have 10 yrs in the "class" they RIF in but are the lowest senority driver in class, you get fired while a guy with 6 months in another "class" will continue to work every day. Do people get called back, some may if they have a TM with some morals and it's only been a very sort time, most will not get called back unless they indeed go through the hiring proccess over again and are deamed worthy to come back. IMO it's BS but new hires should know some of the methods, I sometimes wish someone would have told me.

Oh, you ask how are you notified of a "layoff" You walk in at the end of your shift, and without warning, BAM you no longer have a job. Same goes for run modification etc. Walk in on friday, and are told Monday your life schedule needs to change because they just threw you on the xtra board :)

All I know is certain termals laid off drivers and some didn't. I see some bring backs now from several different terminals. The drivers told me the tm called them and they had to do the application thing again. I know some people that didn't get called back and they tell me the tm is going down the list. At my barn, everything is done by seniority. That keeps the goodfornothings job secure, which is the biggest reason people like the seniority thing so much. imo

[quote author=elvis link=topic=79955.msg828081#msg828081 date=1273339357]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Notice or not..You're still laid off,right..Even with a notice,your life is going to change..Even if you possess a "U" card..Breatheless with laughter,I'd say..

[quote author=Starkravinloon link=topic=79955.msg828366#msg828366 date=1273422308]

Notice or not..You're still laid off,right..Even with a notice,your life is going to change..Even if you possess a "U" card..Breatheless with laughter,I'd say..
[/quote]
If we wern't doing things by seniority the "u" guys think it's wrong. If we do things they way they do, they don't believe us. It has always been difficult to make someone from the other side happy. I'm sure lay-offs at big E are far less than any organized outfit out there. We got hit hard the last 2 years but they are calling them back in order. If someone doesn't get called, it's probably a good thing for the company and the employees.

your terminal may be calling them back in order, I don't see it as being the normal routine. "RE Apply" pretty much sums it up. I don't know about the "U" this or Not "U" that, but when a guy with 20+ yrs gets RIF-ed in one class, and a guy with a year in another is still working, I call BS :duel: but maybe I'm drifting off topic.

We can say union here its ok. Also sick of Elvis ? He just showed back up and his second post. Just being factual. Now watch the fine line of TROLLING.

I know all terminals don't do things the way they should. I think it has a lot to do with the tm. I was just impressed with the way they were doing things over this way. Elvis was just being Elvis. Those Cali boys stay in that buckling over position from what I been hearing.. Oh! now that was funny right there.

[quote author=mildew link=topic=79955.msg828556#msg828556 date=1273482141]
I know all terminals don't do things the way they should. I think it has a lot to do with the tm. I was just impressed with the way they were doing things over this way. Elvis was just being Elvis. Those Cali boys stay in that buckling over position from what I been hearing.. Oh! now that was funny right there.
[/quote]

From what I've been hearing,they are bucking for more than position over there..Might want to cool their heels a little while til this wage reduction at ABF settles down.. The "gray and brown" may be next..

All these wage cuts are not gonna drive rates up. All these "BIG" companies keep it up all drivers will suffer. Its not a Union / Non union thing its a RATE thing. Lower wages mean they (whoever) can haul cheaper.

A race to the bottom !! Between lower wages, and opening the southern border, we'll get these products moved for practically nothing. Is that the plan of big business ???

[quote author=thebeerboy link=topic=79955.msg828802#msg828802 date=1273559914]
All these wage cuts are not gonna drive rates up. All these "BIG" companies keep it up all drivers will suffer. Its not a Union / Non union thing its a RATE thing. Lower wages mean they (whoever) can haul cheaper.
[/quote]

Would you please put that in marquee lights or bold type,so some people will get the message..They have been doing this for years,right under the people's nose..And they still cannot see it..Thanks..

Well the sad truth is most people can not read common sense. I have to put pro union or anti union before logic. I will agree that the teamsters are driving wages lower. And the teamsters are going to push ALL driver wages lower in order to compete. All companies run on a profit margin and that's slim to none. Will the top take pay cuts so rates can drop ? Nooooo. This is just the same ol blah balh.
Back to layoffs it all depends of what Estes decides to do with the system this month. One day a hub then nada then break bulk just whatever whenever. So who knows what will be cut or added to kinda like playing the lottery

I thought I would never see the day where my wifes dumb, dumb sister is knocking on the door of your average top paid teamster with her wally world paycheck. If the teamsters really do set the wages we'd better get our bills paid in a hurry.

[quote author=thebeerboy link=topic=79955.msg828499#msg828499 date=1273455000]
We can say union here its ok. Also sick of Elvis ? He just showed back up and his second post. Just being factual. Now watch the fine line of TROLLING.
[/quote]Since Beerboy does not work at Estes any longer should he not be considered a guest or does that global mod thing exempt him from throwing darts at someone who disagrees with anothers assessment of how policy or lack of is implemented at this company. All I have seen is rif and very few get rehired and when by chance one does it is ususally as a new hire. Elvis is just Elvis but I see no harm or foul in his post since I believe he is replying to Mildews post and Rat seems to take offense when I don't see any intended. This place used to be kinda of cool to come check out and have lively debate but has become so watered down that no one but just a handful of people from the big E actually even show up here anymore. It seems that the only dialogue is to throw stones at others to divert attention from the facts.