TForce | Layoff language

peckerwood

TB Lurker
Credits
I was once on road and switched to city, I understand I'm at the bottom of classification seniority but what happens incase of a layoff? I'm on city now with a lower company senority guy above me in classification with talk of a layoff. Any help with this would help. Thanks.

I was once on road and switched to city, I understand I'm at the bottom of classification seniority but what happens incase of a layoff? I'm on city now with a lower company senority guy above me in classification with talk of a layoff. Any help with this would help. Thanks.
Usually you get your seniority back in 1 year and one day. Don't know what conference your in. But in most cases if you have more seniority than the guy in the city you want be layed off. They normally go buy company seniority

The info you are looking for is on page 9 and 10 of your new contract. On the Teamster.org website.

IMG_2303.md.png IMG_2304.md.png

Guess I'm just curious if I'm the first laid off in the p&d classification if I just transfered over from road? Or will my company senority keep me employed?

Guess I'm just curious if I'm the first laid off in the p&d classification if I just transfered over from road? Or will my company senority keep me employed?
If I am reading this correctly, if you transferred from another terminal, then that transfer date will be your new seniority date for bidding and lay-off purposes (#2., bottom of page 9). But, if your transfer was just a classification change and you remained at the same terminal, then paragraph (b.) would apply in which case you could bump a less senior employee in the road classification using your company seniority.
(see the e.g. paragraph at the bottom of paragraph (b.).
Be sure to verify this with your BA as my understanding of this language could be wrong. I work for ABF and our lay-off language is totally different from what you guys have. Good-Luck!!!

5, Sec 2b-1 Paragraph in the layoff section is a clarification of not being the affected job class seniority, but the Fulltime company seniority that counts.

This MOU was in effect during the last contract (Heading…UPS Freight). If it was in effect in the last contract, then it would have to be discussed again between the parties to remain in effect according to the fourth sentence.
Sorry to intrude on your discussions here, I am just curious about the differences between the T-Force and ABF contracts.
Again, my apologizes for intruding!!!

This MOU was in effect during the last contract (Heading…UPS Freight). If it was in effect in the last contract, then it would have to be discussed again between the parties to remain in effect according to the fourth sentence.
Sorry to intrude on your discussions here, I am just curious about the differences between the T-Force and ABF contracts.
Again, my apologizes for intruding!!!
We were told the MOU is still in effect! Just like the road drivers working sun to Thursday…I believe it’s only a northeast thing! I still can’t get an answer on why we pick up freight on Friday and let it sit until Sunday!

5, Sec 2b-1 Paragraph in the layoff section is a clarification of not being the affected job class seniority, but the Fulltime company seniority that counts.
(ab) If there are no employees electing to take a voluntary layoff, Wwhen it becomes necessary to
reduce the working force, the last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list shall be laid
off first, unless CDL qualifications are necessary.

So will my 10 years company seniorty trump the 4 year seniorty P&D employee? I transfered to P&D last July as the bottom guy on job classification thinking I would be safe in a layoff but I'm being told under new contract that I'm not. First sentence in 2b says last employee hired on in job classification which would be me. Make sense?

(ab) If there are no employees electing to take a voluntary layoff, Wwhen it becomes necessary to
reduce the working force, the last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list shall be laid
off first, unless CDL qualifications are necessary.

So will my 10 years company seniorty trump the 4 year seniorty P&D employee? I transfered to P&D last July as the bottom guy on job classification thinking I would be safe in a layoff but I'm being told under new contract that I'm not. First sentence in 2b says last employee hired on in job classification which would be me. Make sense?
IMHO, the wording is slightly ambiguous. "The last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list" can be interpreted in different ways. What is meant by "hired?" Does "hired" refer to company hiring date or does it refer to date of transfer to classification?

IMHO, the wording is slightly ambiguous. "The last employee hired on the affected classification seniority list" can be interpreted in different ways. What is meant by "hired?" Does "hired" refer to company hiring date or does it refer to date of transfer to classification?
Section 2., 1. and 2. at the bottom of page 9 explains their language intent about that. I would think the issue now would be the location as an MOU has already changed the procedure in the Northeast (New England area).
Are there any other MOU’s out there for other areas that may have similar language changes that are in effect?
And if so, is Peckerwood in one of those areas?

File a grievance if the company and union agree on 1 line seniority then file a complaint with the NLRB. The contract can not be changed or modified it says so in the contract. We have 2 seniority boards 1 for local Carthage which includes P&D and dock and a separate list for the road.

The MOU and the new contract language both state that “the last employee hired on the seniority list shall be laid off first”, with CDL qualifications being the only exception.
The new contract language even has the word “classification“ stricken and with only the word “seniority” remaining.
So that tells me that the intent is that overall seniority (from the date of hire) is to be used to determine the bottom employee to be laid off.
With the exception being a transfer from one terminal to another (Section 2., paragraph 2. At the bottom of page #9).
Your best bet is to discuss this with your BA for clarification. And if you still disagree, file a grievance like Toliet Paper stated.

Last edited:
Layoffs are by full time Company seniority . The only acception is if you voluntarily transferred into a terminal. Then the date you transferred is your layoff seniority date, not company seniority . You can bump a junior man on a different classification list while on layoff, but you gain no classification seniority and must return to your classification when recalled.

Layoffs are by full time Company seniority . The only acception is if you voluntarily transferred into a terminal. Then the date you transferred is your layoff seniority date, not company seniority . You can bump a junior man on a different classification list while on layoff, but you gain no classification seniority and must return to your classification when recalled.
Thank you. I sure hope I don't have to find out but its looking slower everyday.