TForce | Layoff/Recall

o7Z23Ij.jpg

What I don't understand is the "suspending" of bids. Both the Union and the company agree on a call by company seniority within classification. Now that conflicts with the contract language of if your run is cancelled you fall into the top of the extra board. Without an official lay-off or stoppage of work, as in a strike, I fail to see how this can be. How can our Union expect the company to follow the letter of the contract when the Union makes up rules as it goes? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this point. The company claims there is a "soft" lay-off, lay-off language is clear in our agreement, company must notify locals of all lay-offs. I have never been "laid-off" without knowing it before. SCM showed me the roster with "s-lf" before each name... Confused in Carolina......

o7Z23Ij.jpg

What I don't understand is the "suspending" of bids. Both the Union and the company agree on a call by company seniority within classification. Now that conflicts with the contract language of if your run is cancelled you fall into the top of the extra board. Without an official lay-off or stoppage of work, as in a strike, I fail to see how this can be. How can our Union expect the company to follow the letter of the contract when the Union makes up rules as it goes? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this point. The company claims there is a "soft" lay-off, lay-off language is clear in our agreement, company must notify locals of all lay-offs. I have never been "laid-off" without knowing it before. SCM showed me the roster with "s-lf" before each name... Confused in Carolina......
Ask a yes voter?

o7Z23Ij.jpg

When the company suspends bids their are no Bids
All known work is offered by seniority and classification.
As work picks up and the company gets tired of calling for every shift they will post bids as needed.

When the company suspends bids their are no Bids
All known work is offered by seniority and classification.
As work picks up and the company gets tired of calling for every shift they will post bids as needed.
I understand that. What I am saying is how can they call it a "lay-off" without laying anyone off? The term "soft lay-off" only exists in their book, not ours....

I understand that. What I am saying is how can they call it a "lay-off" without laying anyone off? The term "soft lay-off" only exists in their book, not ours....
There’s not enough work for everyone ,Theres no freight on your run ,so they cancel it and or combine it with a adjoining run to make a full peddle from let’s say 4 and 5 to a 9 stop p&d .Your coverage area will expand and so will your wallet.This means some one junior gets the axe .And is called when work is available by seniority.This goes the same as line haul.Work available by seniority.and by classification .Iam sure your road and city boards are separate .If not ,bump the following week to the road board or city board ,by seniority.

There’s not enough work for everyone ,Theres no freight on your run ,so they cancel it and or combine it with a adjoining run to make a full peddle from let’s say 4 and 5 to a 9 stop p&d .Your coverage area will expand and so will your wallet.This means some one junior gets the axe .And is called when work is available by seniority.This goes the same as line haul.Work available by seniority.and by classification .Iam sure your road and city boards are separate .If not ,bump the following week to the road board or city board ,by seniority.
I specifically meant line haul bids, city work is by start time only that is an easy one...

We’ve got guys that might not be able to hang on. If they quit and we start getting busy, they will need new drivers.....two tiered drivers. Dinosaur are slowly becoming extinct one way or another.

We’ve got guys that might not be able to hang on. If they quit and we start getting busy, they will need new drivers.....two tiered drivers. Dinosaur are slowly becoming extinct one way or another.

It will be interesting too see... I think guys that close too retirement will retire... The ones who was on the extra board before all this maybe be able too get a route if they are able too survive this storm... I see alot of opportunity opening up.

It will be interesting too see... I think guys that close too retirement will retire... The ones who was on the extra board before all this maybe be able too get a route if they are able too survive this storm... I see alot of opportunity opening up.
I see prolonged layoffs for the foreseeable future for you guys.UPS will shed unprofitable business and regroup after January 1 .Theres freight out here that’s a week old and customers getting pissed off already .They promised pick up yesterday and Today and now show again.

Some who are on the bottom & saved their discretionary days,or still had vacation time should be okay until their call back.

o7Z23Ij.jpg

i'm a little confused as well, so i don't think i can add much.

i actually did run last night; Most of our niteliners are back in service. i believe the top senior guys either took vacation or declined, so i was next in line. (my "000" series run is cancelled as far as i know. Although i predict it will be back this thursday, as my lane is pretty busy/popular.)

In the waiting room/"corral" at one of the large hubs last night, i overheard:

1) At some terminals, junior guys with only a few months on the job were running last night, while some senior guys with 20 yrs sat. Grievance time, i guess?
This situation does not apply at my terminal.

2) If a junior driver's run is not cancelled, while a senior's is, the company is supposed to call the most senior guy and ask if they want to run/decline, then to the next senior guy and then the next and so on until the run is covered.

i think that is the most fair way to do it. Maybe the company just doesn't want to hassle with calling everyone and want the run covered asap?