Estes | Layoffs at Estes

wilkathow said:
Layoffs hit the Estes Springfield Ma. Terminal won't be the last
This is the wrong time of year for layoffs. Were they dock or drivers? Why do they keep hiring ? I feel like I am having to compete for miles that are getting hard to come by in some areas. Hopefully it passes soon.

Layoffs

Well porkchop I sure hope it dosen't get to that point. Things are a little slow all over right now so I guess it's wait and see for now. Good Luck.......

if estes is paying overtime they are going to hire more driver"s to keep from paying out all the overtime. fredex did the same thing when they seen are p&d driver"s getting overtime they started hiring more driver"s to keep from having them get the overtime pay. it don"t make sense to us but them college student"s they have in corporate make the decision"s you know how that goes they been in the trucking business 2 months but they know it all because they are college grads........

drivers in frt myers fl are forced to take a day off one per week mandatory, only drivers,plus one hour break take from u pay check every day, only drivers again mandatory jajaja

ESTESdrivers in frt myers fl from forced to take a day off one per week mandatory, only drivers,plus one hour break take from u pay check every day, only drivers again mandatory jajaja

ESTES drivers in frt myers fl forced to take a day off one per week mandatory, only drivers,plus one hour break take from u pay check every day, only drivers again mandatory jajaja

10 speed said:
if estes is paying overtime they are going to hire more driver"s to keep from paying out all the overtime. fredex did the same thing when they seen are p&d driver"s getting overtime they started hiring more driver"s to keep from having them get the overtime pay. it don"t make sense to us but them college student"s they have in corporate make the decision"s you know how that goes they been in the trucking business 2 months but they know it all because they are college grads........
i don't think they're going to hire more people to stop from paying overtime. if they hired someone they would have to pay full rate. i'm not sure the starting rate but it has to be around 16 or 17 an hour. you do the math and tell me what makes more sense. at full rate the guy on overtime would only be getting an extra 10 bucks an hour or so. plus they would have to pay all the benefits on the other employee.(insurance, workers comp,etc, etc).

That's because you got your almost all your eggs in one basket in the way of Home Depot.Home depot is opening more and more distribution centers and using truckload carriers that are all drop and hooks at their stores.Therefore eliminating ltl carriers like yourself.Don't get me wrong their will be some delivery's still made by ltl's but on a small scale.

but they are also getting into contractor supply big time.

estes bought an old OD terminal in atlanta just down the street from thier own terminial. just to service home depot. not to mention all the flatbeds at nashville greensboro atlanta. flatbed delivery truck at nashiville with the home depot logo on it, gonna be interesting....

nightowl said:
i don't think they're going to hire more people to stop from paying overtime. if they hired someone they would have to pay full rate. i'm not sure the starting rate but it has to be around 16 or 17 an hour. you do the math and tell me what makes more sense. at full rate the guy on overtime would only be getting an extra 10 bucks an hour or so. plus they would have to pay all the benefits on the other employee.(insurance, workers comp,etc, etc).
in kc they are just not replacin some guys that got canned in the city. 17.95 startin pay. i agree it would cost way more to hire guys than pay a couple of hours of ot. 5 hours a max a week isnt really anything.

093 gets it today

093/Indy has lost 20 dockworkers effective monday 27th. Rumors flying road drivers are to get cut to 4 days. What a management team we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

093 3 or 5 city drivers got laid off, but i think 2 of them took a big mile team run.

funny thing is they hired 2 xtraboard drivers 2 weeks ago and gave them new trucks :(

guess i need to quit and get rehired to get rid of my 1 million 70 thousand mile truck

REAL slow, cancelling bid runs left and right.
wait till the effect of losing home depot will have....
Bid runs too? I've heard of individual nights and slow down of extraboard but bid runs means both ways slow. Yeah, Home Depot is not only going to hurt but is hurting very hard in a lot of terminals. What's up? Who knows. Management must feel they have something solid to be doing this, but do they really realize what they're doing to families. Then again, do they really care!