XPO | Layoffs / Terminal Closings

It all depends were you are at. The UPS barn in my area and there 2 of them have layoffs every year at this time and depending of volume anywhere from 2 to 3 months.
Yes , I could see that in Jan , feb & march at bigger barns I guess . Still one layed off here til at least mid to late may I am told

The driver shortage is over, as you can tell, sub service is back in full swing. Now jump on that forklift, we got get these otr guys rolling.

The shortage is not over. XPO is being smarter about things. A lot of these trucks are looking for back hauls in Amazon lanes. Even a cheap run is better than dead heading.

Maybe enormous but that’s a FAC driven terminal. IF it wasn’t for the daylane freight going to XNW and XAY they wouldn’t have that many L/H runs.

XAY and XCW are the same way. Pathetic city service areas that use a fraction of the dock. But massive amounts of freight rolling through day and night. That toll road is still making money.

One of the knocks against unionization is lots of layoffs. Xpo sounds like it taking that issue out of the debate

Lost a lot of freight in the pissing contest with Amazon. And losing more recently to price. Which, around here the sales team just finds us more. But many other terminals don't have that luxury. And lost freight can mean lost jobs.

It all depends were you are at. The UPS barn in my area and there 2 of them have layoffs every year at this time and depending of volume anywhere from 2 to 3 months.

Same here. They hire all summer and into Christmas. Then the freight falls off and the new guys don't run in the :shit:tiest part of the year anyway. Back to work and hiring more every year by April. The grow and keep growing. Yeah, a little jealous. Why can't our company be like that ?

Say building sub service to bypass xay xmi straight to xnw. Xay used to send about 20 to 30 guys to xmi heard it was drastically reduced to roughly 15 to 20
The reason for the cut is I hear that over half of them (XAY) went home on empties. Can't stay in business when you paying 10 to 15 guys to haul sail boat fuel every night. It's about 230 from XMI to XAY per google maps. For just 10 guy to go home on empties cost them $1545.50 in one night. For the week it's $7728.00

The shortage is not over. XPO is being smarter about things. A lot of these trucks are looking for back hauls in Amazon lanes. Even a cheap run is better than dead heading.
Some no nothing about this. I worked for a local carrier and when we ran far (no layover) all our boss cared about was covering his cost for the day, like fuel and labor. we hauled alot of cheep loads just to get us back into the area were the freight paid good.

Last edited:
we were told Monday every terminal has to reduce staff . Drivers/dockworkers are being asked to take a 6-8 week layoff by seniority . No one took it so the bottoms guys got layed off. Will they hang around or go elsewhere ?? Also told smaller terminals that are not making money may be greatly reduced in staff and runs divided among other terminals or closed . Has anyone else been told this ?
Nope haven't heard anything like that

Freight assembly center nearest me had contracts with several OTR carriers, they were missing pick ups left and right. Hence there was a hiring boost at XPO. Now that them carriers have bodies to spare, and no excess freight, the yard looks like a truck stop with drivers hanging out for hours waiting on a fresh long box off the dock. So new lanes of sub service have been added at the reships that I run. XPO no longer needs an excess of drivers, so, like always, they will start quiting, then we get busy, and start a new hiring extravaganza. Nothing new, rinse and repeat.

8 line haul drivers just laid off in Tallahassee. I’m hearing more line haul lay off are coming all over

Freight assembly center nearest me had contracts with several OTR carriers, they were missing pick ups left and right. Hence there was a hiring boost at XPO. Now that them carriers have bodies to spare, and no excess freight, the yard looks like a truck stop with drivers hanging out for hours waiting on a fresh long box off the dock. So new lanes of sub service have been added at the reships that I run. XPO no longer needs an excess of drivers, so, like always, they will start quiting, then we get busy, and start a new hiring extravaganza. Nothing new, rinse and repeat.
No this is new it's just wash, rinse and repeat from a different angle and some wet behind the ears with 4 extra years of schooling thought it up.

8 line haul drivers just laid off in Tallahassee. I’m hearing more line haul lay off are coming all over

Corporate is cutting hard now. The YRC situation will have a massive impact on us as well. If YRC vote no, we will get bombed. If YRC vote yes. They are going to suck up a lot of freight.