Yellow | Layoffs

Mango710

Can I Bite Bill Zollars!!
Credits
Here at 309 they just laid off 10 dockmen effective Sunday November 17th

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

thats just wrong Mango,considering all the o.t we have been getting both yard and dock .fing rg and tm this is a pile of horse excrement! totally unjustified! are they working extra men today and tomorrow?:cuss:

309 YRC Chicago

Sounds about right, with a vote coming up, time to slow things down a little, play some more games. Starve you into a yes vote.

The I want more for less program. They can't hire anyone now with all this BS going on.! The we need to layoff, we don't have the manpower now that we need....P&D coming back early yesterday...out of hours.! Dock running extremely slow...part-timers showing us how to get it done.! The vote is coming up and let the games begin...I wonder how many times they are going to make you men vote until you get it right.!!!!

My guess the bank has told them how much they can spend on labor each day.
881 could not work or deliver the freight so they cut bids.
Wonder how many city terminals use cartage to get their magic numbers each day ?
You know the ones where the terminal manager and his family work the freight on the weekend so they don't have to pay OT.

How can they layoff and then force others to work overtime. We're laying off guys who were working 50 hours a week. How can the work get done. The union must have language on this.

To my knowledge there is not a thing in the contract....employer has the right to do business as they see fit. Numbers don't lie....except I don't see the numbers the same way we do.! YRC driver came in our yard to get one of your trailers, told me that Thursday they only picked up 421 bills and left 100 to be worked yesterday. I told him that we picked up 900 plus and about 1.4 mil pounds...Thursday, today they city guys are out of hours and dropping like flys. City dispatch has been telling customers most of the day that we will try and get it on Monday. They will do there normal....lay off and quit picking up freight that we have available. It happens every year. It is as if they don't want to make money.....what profit ? we will get ours from our employees...! Why you have men laid off....why not send them over...they know how to use the phones...tractors stitting idle....we have freight sitting on customers docks. Hell 10 men picking up so our guys could hit the dock faster out of the city. Lets lay off...give the freight away....f ing stupid. Men getting paychecks, company making more profit....that must be a bad way of doing business. It's not making any sense, Yrc driver wouldn't be doing our work...hell we can't pick it up....why loose the freight. This goes on every year since Yrc bought us. Oh yea what am I thinking....they just take from us when they need cash.!!!!!

It is almost the time of year when we lay off and give freight away....!

Last edited by a moderator:
How can they layoff and then force others to work overtime. We're laying off guys who were working 50 hours a week. How can the work get done. The union must have language on this.

I don't know about the union. But I have language about this, but Jeff has restricted those kind of words.:27:

The Magic 8 Ball (computer) projects the work load based on historical averages. The company desires that all men work max hours each week. The company doesn't care about how the layoffs affect their employees. Since I started with Rex in 1976, there has always been layoffs in November and December. It is just the nature of this type of business. I learned many years ago to save up all possible for the lean months of Nov,Dec,Jan,Feb and recalls would start in March. Initially, I was upset that men could be lay off and senior men would work 50-60 hours a week, but I discovered that no matter how upset we would get, the company was going to layoff. In fact, some years lower seniority employees would be more irate if the layoff came later because we wanted the time off earlier to go hunting.

Im not layed off but offered to give up time 'no pay' and the boss didn't even respond to my statement. I don't think they want us to work 3 days 12 hours and take thurs and fri off no pay because it actually creates another f/t job. They want you to work 5 12's. My question is how much o/t can be forced. How can they cry no help when guys are sitting home ? Why not work everybody 8 hours a day or make a 4 10 bid and have the help available if someone goes on vaca or gets a hangnail....I mean injury.

The way they do layoffs is total BS. YRC has said we will only work you two days a week to cut your bennies. About half the senior guys see this as an all you can eat overtime buffet. Sixth and seventh punches called in before layoff guys. They know they're screwing junior men, most with small children that need full health coverage. It turns my stomach to come in and see all those bastards working all that overtime when guys can't even get three punches for insurance. Most of these "brothers" start calling for layoffs this time of year because the ot starts to go away and they can't pay for their lifestyle anymore. So slash a brothers throat so you can drive that fancy car. Pathetic!!!

The way they do layoffs is total BS. YRC has said we will only work you two days a week to cut your bennies. About half the senior guys see this as an all you can eat overtime buffet. Sixth and seventh punches called in before layoff guys. They know they're screwing junior men, most with small children that need full health coverage. It turns my stomach to come in and see all those bastards working all that overtime when guys can't even get three punches for insurance. Most of these "brothers" start calling for layoffs this time of year because the ot starts to go away and they can't pay for their lifestyle anymore. So slash a brothers throat so you can drive that fancy car. Pathetic!!!

At my terminal, they are not allowed to call in senior men for ot untill the layoff list is exhausted. Something is wrong with your order of call. Your union officials need to reexamine this process..........

Here at 309 they just laid off 10 dockmen effective Sunday November 17th

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Just saved them 2 holidays per man.

Western States requires holidays be paid if laid off within 15 days of said holiday.

IF, opened for discussion, add this language to your supplement.

(Also, if steward is aware of intended layoff, advise layoff personnel to submit vacation within said window before layoff is posted.)

same at. 309, they will want them to sign up for soft layoff. to. work.fyi holiday bid is accepting bids until the 26th they will work yard both days and dock friday

When you figure benefits into this, it is cheaper to pay OT than another body
When they can not get the 10 % board or layoff people to work when they want them to then they have no choice but to bring back a few. Tis the Yellow way......... .
Im not layed off but offered to give up time 'no pay' and the boss didn't even respond to my statement. I don't think they want us to work 3 days 12 hours and take thurs and fri off no pay because it actually creates another f/t job. They want you to work 5 12's. My question is how much o/t can be forced. How can they cry no help when guys are sitting home ? Why not work everybody 8 hours a day or make a 4 10 bid and have the help available if someone goes on vaca or gets a hangnail....I mean injury.

When you figure benefits into this, it is cheaper to pay OT than another body
When they can not get the 10 % board or layoff people to work when they want them to then they have no choice but to bring back a few. Tis the Yellow way......... .

Big R ran the same way back in the day. Not so much now, but always has been cheaper to work O/T.

ive been at 309 since 91. the first 10 yrs we didnt do this layoff bs .when you work o.t around the clock. it is not. cheaper to layoff .and they will use bid o.t and casuals its been that way since may. f em!