ODFL | Layoffs

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
Seen on another board Hou laid off some line drivers last week cuz we ain’t got much work, what’s it like in other parts of the country?

Its not too bad up here at Billy's terminal for Linehaul. Guys staying somewhat busy on the wild board. When we do have guys sit a day a week, its messed up when you see a city guy going to Boise every weekend as if its his scheduled run. His normal city route then over 1000 miles on weekends, and the wild board isn't even offered it. If they are going to use him, send him on the shorter turn and offer the long run to wild linehaul, after all its their job

Its not too bad up here at Billy's terminal for Linehaul. Guys staying somewhat busy on the wild board. When we do have guys sit a day a week, its messed up when you see a city guy going to Boise every weekend as if its his scheduled run. His normal city route then over 1000 miles on weekends, and the wild board isn't even offered it. If they are going to use him, send him on the shorter turn and offer the long run to wild linehaul, after all its their job
And since when has common sense and fair play been available..It disappeared with reason a while ago. We now live in the world of entitlement don't you know.

They even sending city guys east during the day on weekdays,,, Think your morning dispatcher down south allowing this to happen,

Fairly dead in Texas. We have about 6-8 too many people. All are newbs. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I think we hired too many people on a whim. Don’t see it getting any better anytime soon, so a mass of company wide layoffs may be in the near future. Too many people on the payroll and no work for them.

It's a little slow in the midwest but not terrible. They haven't asked for the scheduled drivers to volunteer a night off for the extra board which they've done in the past. We can still run our 6th day most weekends.

It's a little slow in the midwest but not terrible. They haven't asked for the scheduled drivers to volunteer a night off for the extra board which they've done in the past. We can still run our 6th day most weekends.
Could some of that be due to the flooding?

I didn't know that we laid off I thought we just fired guys if we didn't need them
Uh, wonder what they’re waiting on?
It's hard to come off of a year like last year and not have too many people. It's a shame, but a reality.
Too much turmoil in Washington is my guess for the roller coaster ride. We have a small window this year to have a good year. Anyone that’s been in freight knows what election years bring...slow times. So we have a few months to try and sustain what we have, and come this winter we will be in for a years worth of slow times. Wonder what will happen to all these new people?

I was told OD hires 25% more drivers then they need. I also agree with a lay-off. I’ve been here 7 years and only worked 4 1/2 days in the last two week.

OD must hire extra in Atl. in case "Panama Hat" drivers mark off when the weatherman calls for a snowflake.
Song will vouch for that.

I don’t believe it’s just because of our meteorogially challenged drivers... I don’t know if it’s true or not but I’ve heard management has come down on some of the schedule guys only working 4 days a week. Makes no sense. If you have a schedule and only want to work 4 days who cares? We’ve got more than plenty of extra board to cover. Meanwhile we have a mandatory extra workday schedule posted for the dock... go figure.