ODFL Layoffs

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by BillyLo, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

Seen on another board Hou laid off some line drivers last week cuz we ain’t got much work, what’s it like in other parts of the country?

2. Grumpy O' Man

Grumpy O' Man Well-Known Member

Steady here in the East.Been asking Volunteers to take off a day during the week.Just alot of over hiring going on in my opinion.

BillyLo likes this.
  3. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Terrible here in the south, grass won't grow, goats starving everywhere, they just won't eat boiled okra.

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Active Member

Its not too bad up here at Billy's terminal for Linehaul. Guys staying somewhat busy on the wild board. When we do have guys sit a day a week, its messed up when you see a city guy going to Boise every weekend as if its his scheduled run. His normal city route then over 1000 miles on weekends, and the wild board isn't even offered it. If they are going to use him, send him on the shorter turn and offer the long run to wild linehaul, after all its their job

lillybug, JIM BOB, Big Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. DMT

DMT Well-Known Member

And since when has common sense and fair play been available..It disappeared with reason a while ago. We now live in the world of entitlement don't you know.

6. BillyLo

They even sending city guys east during the day on weekdays,,, Think your morning dispatcher down south allowing this to happen,

7. 02 Under Pressure

02 Under Pressure Member

Fairly dead in Texas. We have about 6-8 too many people. All are newbs. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I think we hired too many people on a whim. Don’t see it getting any better anytime soon, so a mass of company wide layoffs may be in the near future. Too many people on the payroll and no work for them.

8. buckeye

buckeye Active Member

I didn't know that we laid off I thought we just fired guys if we didn't need them

9. Freightsup

Freightsup Well-Known Member

It's hard to come off of a year like last year and not have too many people. It's a shame, but a reality.

10. gomer2969

gomer2969 Active Member

It's a little slow in the midwest but not terrible. They haven't asked for the scheduled drivers to volunteer a night off for the extra board which they've done in the past. We can still run our 6th day most weekends.

11. almost13ranch

almost13ranch Neutiquam erro

Driver Since:
    Could some of that be due to the flooding?

12. 02 Under Pressure

02 Under Pressure Member

Uh, wonder what they’re waiting on?
    Too much turmoil in Washington is my guess for the roller coaster ride. We have a small window this year to have a good year. Anyone that’s been in freight knows what election years bring...slow times. So we have a few months to try and sustain what we have, and come this winter we will be in for a years worth of slow times. Wonder what will happen to all these new people?

13. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

Driver Since:
    Exactly. Employees receive an "economic termination" at the company's discretion. At will employees do not have the benefit of seniority or a true layoff.

14. uprrmn

uprrmn Member

I was told OD hires 25% more drivers then they need. I also agree with a lay-off. I’ve been here 7 years and only worked 4 1/2 days in the last two week.

Grumpy O' Man likes this.
  15. uprrmn

uprrmn Member

I’m sure all the newer employees can get good trucking jobs. I hope they don’t continue to starve us all vs layoffs

KIKBXR, slinky and Grumpy O' Man like this.
  16. Freightsup

Freightsup Well-Known Member

I don't believe OD over hires on purpose. That doesn't make sense. We hire based on freight levels, which last year was phenomenal. This year, not so much. It's the same at every other company, trucking or not. Their will never be a perfect science behind it.

17. BillyLo

Where u out of driver atl?

18. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

OD must hire extra in Atl. in case "Panama Hat" drivers mark off when the weatherman calls for a snowflake.
    Song will vouch for that.

19. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

I don’t believe it’s just because of our meteorogially challenged drivers... I don’t know if it’s true or not but I’ve heard management has come down on some of the schedule guys only working 4 days a week. Makes no sense. If you have a schedule and only want to work 4 days who cares? We’ve got more than plenty of extra board to cover. Meanwhile we have a mandatory extra workday schedule posted for the dock... go figure.

lhdrvr and seabreeze like this.
  20. BillyLo

So damn slow, any terminals forcing drivers to look elsewhere? Where’s the gol dang work been? This new leadership sure ain’t been impressing me.

lhdrvr and ED FORCE ONE like this.