ABF | leave of absence

Seems as if you are talking about Hoffa loyalist Stewards/ (locals).. No mind of their own. led around by a leash, wont fight for us. Spells HOFFA.

I own guns, by the way. I go hunting or to target practice. I do not have a concealed carry permit. I do not have a need to go out in public armed.

Preemptive,...before someone goes all political on me here......

I do have a concealed, because I sometimes go to Wally World at night.
Yes, I agree with todays changing times, back in those days we had 15 or 20 city policeman worked partime on
our dock, a lot of things could go by, sight unseen.
We never had any problems on a picket line, some things were just never seen.

Seems as if you are talking about Hoffa loyalist Stewards/ (locals).. No mind of their own. led around by a leash, wont fight for us. Spells HOFFA.

i think it's a definite lack of training sponsored by the International. There should be a Mission Statement as to what a steward's moral and ethical position should be representing his fellow employees and Union Brothers.

Currently,......there is not. Getting elected ,...or appointed,....as steward is similar to winning $20 in an office football pool...Congratulations....Ho-hum.....

I was always vocal about how a Union's "stock-in-trade" is it's moral High Ground in negotiations with employers.
Companies are about money and profit...........Unions are about People and Fairness........Which negotiating position is more....Moral?

A Nation of the People, by the People.....no mention of companies......

So I get a little upset when someone abuses or disrespects their Union position,......And I get upset because the Union "leadership" itself doesn't regard it's troops in the trenches...(..i.e: Stewards, Committeemen, and Assistant Stewards...)...as very important, or worth giving an Official Moral Imperative to......or any sort of formal training......

When a Union steward compromises,...or worse,...disrespects....his official position....the company laughs and laughs. They know they have found one of their own,...and can deal with...or around...him......

I do have a concealed, because I sometimes go to Wally World at night.
Yes, I agree with todays changing times, back in those days we had 15 or 20 city policeman worked partime on
our dock, a lot of things could go by, sight unseen.
We never had any problems on a picket line, some things were just never seen.

Wally World at night? I'd want a suit of armor along with that concealed carry permit.......

And a camera........definately a camera.......Never laughed so hard as I did at some of those Wally World People At Night You Tube videos.......

i live about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh........Rural "suburbs", I guess. Very little crime......
.....Until they built a Wally World a mile from here......Now there are crimes and arrests on a daily basis in the parking lot....
Drugs, shoplifting, car theft, prostitution, murder, public drunkenness.........

No other store around here has a tenth of the crime this "discount" store brought to our area.....

What is it about Wally World that seems to attract the lowest element ...like a bug-zapper attracts insects?

Only working 1 or 2 days a week and wanting to take a 6 month leave of absence . Anybody know if I can do this or does it have to be FMLA? Just got off a 11 month layoff and cant afford 2 day paycheck and they call me monday and friday so I have to be available all week. Any advise would help, manger wont lay me off and losing faith in this job Thanks Sandman!

We're off topic.........Brother Sandman, have you gotten any relief from the Union? Or a little help from the company? Sorry about going astray there, but I, for one, would like to know if you've found a solution yet.

Unless you,...or someone in your family,....has a "life-altering event", I don't think you can access FMLA. Is your TM trying to put you in a position where you have to quit?

How are you paying for your health care? If the companies' position is that you are an employee,...then THEY,...under Obamacare,..should be picking up your healthcare bill. ......regardless of company "disqualifying" rules.....

It won't help you immediately,....but if you contact your Congressman and tell him the "pickle" the company has you in...(...work 2 days to retain seniority and starve.....or quit and start all over again...)...you might get a little help ...inasmuch as your TM might get an inquiring call from the Congressman's office. That might be sufficient to have him manage the overtime better to provide you with more work......

Other Unions have apprentice programs that force companies to set aside time for newly hired people so they don't get starved out and waste the time and money spent on the apprentice program.
Why not Trucking? We DO have a hiring shortage......

We're off topic.........Brother Sandman, have you gotten any relief from the Union? Or a little help from the company? Sorry about going astray there, but I, for one, would like to know if you've found a solution yet.

Unless you,...or someone in your family,....has a "life-altering event", I don't think you can access FMLA. Is your TM trying to put you in a position where you have to quit?

How are you paying for your health care? If the companies' position is that you are an employee,...then THEY,...under Obamacare,..should be picking up your healthcare bill. ......regardless of company "disqualifying" rules.....

It won't help you immediately,....but if you contact your Congressman and tell him the "pickle" the company has you in...(...work 2 days to retain seniority and starve.....or quit and start all over again...)...you might get a little help ...inasmuch as your TM might get an inquiring call from the Congressman's office. That might be sufficient to have him manage the overtime better to provide you with more work......

Other Unions have apprentice programs that force companies to set aside time for newly hired people so they don't get starved out and waste the time and money spent on the apprentice program.
Why not Trucking? We DO have a hiring shortage......

A long time ago when guys stuck together a bit more, senior men would occasionally book off when they saw that a new guy wasn't going to work that day. They made sure the new guy at least worked enough days to be covered for health insurance.

For the.....Title? Good Grief! Did your Local award him a...crown?.....or pay his dues and car payment?.....Did he get to wear a football jersey with "STEWARD" written on it in block letters?

Title? Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "steward" as someone in charge of food distribution on public transportation,........or someone designated to manage the affairs of groups of employees......

Your steward must've seen the first definition, and believed he was supposed to dish out the company gruel,.....deliver portions of crow to eat,.......and pour out the company Kool-Aid.......

Steward is not a popularity contest.....Ain't supposed to be.....But, like I've told many guys, ..."I like you,...I like the Union President, and the B.A........I even like the TM,...on occasion.........But I like the Teamsters and Freedom of Speech even more than all of you".......

To strut around wearing the title "Steward" like a Third-World dictator wears sunglasses, epaulettes, and a big , fancy hat.....is mere ego boosting....mainly for a fragile ego.

A steward job is certainly not a popularity contest. Often you have two enemies, the company & your brothers. I remember that often people wanted the contract to read to suit their wishes at any given time & read differently later to suit their situation at that time. What they had was a gripe & not a grievance. When you open the contract book & have them read it & they still don't agree then you have done all you can. Usually they want you to file the grievance for them. I would tell them I can't win a gripe but if they wanted to try they were free to file & I would see that it went to committee. When I first started in the freight industry a man older & wiser told me you can't win a gripe but the process is in place to win a grievance.

Wally World at night? I'd want a suit of armor along with that concealed carry permit.......

And a camera........definately a camera.......Never laughed so hard as I did at some of those Wally World People At Night You Tube videos.......

i live about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh........Rural "suburbs", I guess. Very little crime......
.....Until they built a Wally World a mile from here......Now there are crimes and arrests on a daily basis in the parking lot....
Drugs, shoplifting, car theft, prostitution, murder, public drunkenness.........

No other store around here has a tenth of the crime this "discount" store brought to our area.....

What is it about Wally World that seems to attract the lowest element ...like a bug-zapper attracts insects?

No argument here, many of these crimes here occur at daytime.

Brother Canary, and Cool Breeze, let us hear your stories of taking, misguided teamsters, behind the wood shed, for straightening out.

Breeze, little disappointed you shop at anti union Walmart.

Brother Canary, and Cool Breeze, let us hear your stories of taking, misguided teamsters, behind the wood shed, for straightening out.

Breeze, little disappointed you shop at anti union Walmart.
LOL, LOL, I want to hear more about taking road drivers to the woodshed at motels. I thought that was so funny. LOL, LOL. C.B. Rambo's on Twitter. I never knew. Would that be Twitter Rambo or TB Rambo's?
LOL, so funny.

LOL, LOL, I want to hear more about taking road drivers to the woodshed at motels. I thought that was so funny. LOL, LOL. C.B. Rambo's on Twitter. I never knew. Would that be Twitter Rambo or TB Rambo's?
LOL, so funny.

So glad we are providing you entertainment, Brother.......

In the meantime, I am going to send you my personal autographed copy of Dale Carnegie’s “ How To Win Friends and Influence People”.......

Mr. Carnegie wrote in my book: “ Never doubt what you don’t know isn’t true.....”

So glad we are providing you entertainment, Brother.......

In the meantime, I am going to send you my personal autographed copy of Dale Carnegie’s “ How To Win Friends and Influence People”.......

Mr. Carnegie wrote in my book: “ Never doubt what you don’t know isn’t true.....”
Thanks brother, but I'll wait on the movie. I'm more grumpy and grumpier old men :) I would like to know what "Never doubt what you don't know isn't true" means? Critical thinking teaches you to question everything. It seems to me the easiest way to get taken advantage of is to take everything at face value (never doubt what you don't know..... do you know I'm a real person? Have you seen me?). Or, I have the world's greatest investment with a supper high return, just send me your money and I'll triple it in only 90 days (right after your check clears :)

Thanks brother, but I'll wait on the movie. I'm more grumpy and grumpier old men :) I would like to know what "Never doubt what you don't know isn't true" means? Critical thinking teaches you to question everything. It seems to me the easiest way to get taken advantage of is to take everything at face value (never doubt what you don't know..... do you know I'm a real person? Have you seen me?). Or, I have the world's greatest investment with a supper high return, just send me your money and I'll triple it in only 90 days (right after your check clears :)

“Never doubt what you don’t know isn’t true.” doesn’t preclude ordinary skepticism in light of lack of empirical evidence.....

Many an 18th century scientist.....Luddite,....and Flat Earth Society members.......have lost their veracity for dismissing out-of-hand, things that they didn’t regard as......believable......

You may be a computer algorithm designed to promote conundrums, instead of a real person......
I might be skeptical,....but I won’t dismiss the possibility of your humanity .......

Or......the reverse might be true.......

Can’t dismiss either possibility barring evidence to the contrary......

Ever hear of Schroedinger’s Cat? .....an example they use in quantum physics to cover every possible outcome....?

Now I’ll have to send you my copy of “Quantum Physics For Dummies” , along with Dale Carnegie’s book......Damn.....Shipping costs are getting expensive here.....

I think you meant “super” high return...........”Supper” high return happens when I eat food that doesn’t agree with me.....the worse it is, the ......higher.......the return....

“Never doubt what you don’t know isn’t true.” doesn’t preclude ordinary skepticism in light of lack of empirical evidence.....

Many an 18th century scientist.....Luddite,....and Flat Earth Society members.......have lost their veracity for dismissing out-of-hand, things that they didn’t regard as......believable......

You may be a computer algorithm designed to promote conundrums, instead of a real person......
I might be skeptical,....but I won’t dismiss the possibility of your humanity .......

Or......the reverse might be true.......

Can’t dismiss either possibility barring evidence to the contrary......

Ever hear of Schroedinger’s Cat? .....an example they use in quantum physics to cover every possible outcome....?

Now I’ll have to send you my copy of “Quantum Physics For Dummies” , along with Dale Carnegie’s book......Damn.....Shipping costs are getting expensive here.....

I think you meant “super” high return...........”Supper” high return happens when I eat food that doesn’t agree with me.....the worse it is, the ......higher.......the return....
Brother Canary, you and useless are correct. Smartphone my power cord! I know DOS based computers that use better spelling programs. But what can you expect from a cheap app on a "smart phone." I would go back into hibernation mode but I bid today, so lets power up this CPU and go to work.