SAIA | Leaving..

And many feel the way you do. I get it. I just don’t think it’s that big of deal. XPO has had them for years. What has made them a pain in the ass is the company has weaponized them when they said they wouldn’t. That’s what has caused the massive turnover. I know what not to do and learn from my mistakes. They really make me more aware and safety oriented. Everyone is different. Like I said though .... I get why many can’t stand them.
They there train, I worked at XPO as a driver and then a sup. I was a sup when they brought the cameras in. The major difference I see with XPO is that their cameras don’t get triggered with following distance. XPO also allows cellphone use. Heck, they just wrote into their policy a couple of weeks ago that you can’t use a handheld device.

XPO Managements excitement quickly wore off; they stopped calling in drivers for every single video within 6 months. The most concerning thing is that Saia has relaxed a little bit on the videos, it’s still not as lax as XPO is now. Over a year later and drivecam is still Saia’s brand new shiny toy that they can’t get enough of

They there train, I worked at XPO as a driver and then a sup. I was a sup when they brought the cameras in. The major difference I see with XPO is that their cameras don’t get triggered with following distance. XPO also allows cellphone use. Heck, they just wrote into their policy a couple of weeks ago that you can’t use a handheld device.

XPO Managements excitement quickly wore off; they stopped calling in drivers for every single video within 6 months. The most concerning thing is that Saia has relaxed a little bit on the videos, it’s still not as lax as XPO is now. Over a year later and drivecam is still Saia’s brand new shiny toy that they can’t get enough of
As a current XPO linehaul driver, I can attest to to the laxness of the “drivecam policy”. Handheld devices have always been a no-no, nothing new there. However, I know I’ve been following too close and not been called for it. I’m not a habitual offender and I don’t know about others.

As a current XPO linehaul driver, I can attest to to the laxness of the “drivecam policy”. Handheld devices have always been a no-no, nothing new there. However, I know I’ve been following too close and not been called for it. I’m not a habitual offender and I don’t know about others.
After 5-10 seconds of following within a 3 second distance, the camera will turn solid red, then blink once it saves the video.

I personally will not work anywhere that wants to have a camera pointed right at me. The company I work for doesn't use them. If they did I'm positive I wouldn't stay. If that job ever goes bad I wouldn't even consider Saia or XPO. I'm sure there are a ton of other drivers out there that will say the same thing.

Don't much care for cameras. Inward or outward. But I do my run and never get talked to. You know, what I signed on for.

After 5-10 seconds of following within a 3 second distance, the camera will turn solid red, then blink once it saves the video.
I’ve never had that happen. I’ve gone over a bump or had to brake hard enough to get the camera to record, but never heard of or had the camera record after following too close for that period of time. Either way, I’ve been coached only a few times over the years.

There calibrated to tight based on safeties, “pro active” approach to protect (monitor) us. And as for those who are saying there more lax on them now, I beg to differ because there’s multiple drivers, if not all, in our terminal being “coached “ regularly

Those video's still exist and always will. When the time is right, they'll come out.

HP, I don’t mean to intrude on board, but was just surfing your site and feel like I need to respond to your post (hope u don’t mind). You see, I am a Conway/ XPO LTL driver... have been for over 24 years now.neddless to say I was here when Drivecam was installed with both outward and inward capability in our tractors. You mentioned that drivecam doesn’t get triggered over too close following distance, true, but we will be coached for that offense if the camera is triggered for something else, i.e. hitting a pot hole. So guys still have to sweat being right in that area of their performance.You also said that XPO allowes cell phone use while driving, not true.After the cameras were installed, if it was triggered while u were driving and holding any electronic device you were coached,( by the way hand free headsets are allowed). Recently, management has written a rule of zero tolerance if you get caught holding any electronic devise by drive cam. No coaching babysitting... you’re out the door looking for another job. As far as the other coachable offenses, yeah they’ve lightened up on red lite events. Bottom line XPO is not lighting up as far as having electronic devices in your hands. Our top brass management told us very sad story. One of our linehaul drivers was driving a stretch of road up in a north central state in the middle the night and there was a couple with a car that was out of gas and they were pushing it down the road to the gas station and our driver didn’t look up and see them because I was watching a movie on his cell phone and plowed right through them resulting in the death of one of them and sending to the other to the hospital just barely clinging to life. Do I or anybody else like inward facing cameras? No sir, but they’re there for a good purpose, save lives.

HP, I don’t mean to intrude on board, but was just surfing your site and feel like I need to respond to your post (hope u don’t mind). You see, I am a Conway/ XPO LTL driver... have been for over 24 years now.neddless to say I was here when Drivecam was installed with both outward and inward capability in our tractors. You mentioned that drivecam doesn’t get triggered over too close following distance, true, but we will be coached for that offense if the camera is triggered for something else, i.e. hitting a pot hole. So guys still have to sweat being right in that area of their performance.You also said that XPO allowes cell phone use while driving, not true.After the cameras were installed, if it was triggered while u were driving and holding any electronic device you were coached,( by the way hand free headsets are allowed). Recently, management has written a rule of zero tolerance if you get caught holding any electronic devise by drive cam. No coaching babysitting... you’re out the door looking for another job. As far as the other coachable offenses, yeah they’ve lightened up on red lite events. Bottom line XPO is not lighting up as far as having electronic devices in your hands. Our top brass management told us very sad story. One of our linehaul drivers was driving a stretch of road up in a north central state in the middle the night and there was a couple with a car that was out of gas and they were pushing it down the road to the gas station and our driver didn’t look up and see them because I was watching a movie on his cell phone and plowed right through them resulting in the death of one of them and sending to the other to the hospital just barely clinging to life. Do I or anybody else like inward facing cameras? No sir, but they’re there for a good purpose, save lives.

Train, can't agree with you or Peddleman, rumor has it Saia is making a movie called (Big Dave goes To Texas)
They are actually searching among their drivers for a driver who can play the lead part.
I've heard thru the grapevine, they have already selected you to play the part of Wong.

How do in cab cameras save a life? It's you against the motoring public. So unless EVERYONE ELSE IS PLAYING BY THE SAME RULES that statement is invalid.

How do in cab cameras save a life? It's you against the motoring public. So unless EVERYONE ELSE IS PLAYING BY THE SAME RULES that statement is invalid.
They discourage bad habits when driving.

It doesn't matter if you like them or not ( I don't )
Yes , cameras and the videos that they collect can be misused. Yes , it seems unfair to have a camera watching you all the time working. And yes , there needs to be federal laws allowing people some type of ownership of the data collected and it's potential manipulation.

Even with all that said , a camera hanging over your head is , at the very least , a reminder that if something stupid happens , it will be preserved forever so you may want to try an avoid that.

I want to be TOTALLY against cameras but , I can't because of what I see everyday when I drive. People in big trucks , head down texting. I will lay on the airhorn and they won't look up.

Honestly , if I started a trucking company right now , I would have cameras dangling all over the inside and outside of the tractors ( except for the sleeper )