SAIA | Leaving..

They discourage bad habits when driving.

It doesn't matter if you like them or not ( I don't )
Yes , cameras and the videos that they collect can be misused. Yes , it seems unfair to have a camera watching you all the time working. And yes , there needs to be federal laws allowing people some type of ownership of the data collected and it's potential manipulation.

Even with all that said , a camera hanging over your head is , at the very least , a reminder that if something stupid happens , it will be preserved forever so you may want to try an avoid that.

I want to be TOTALLY against cameras but , I can't because of what I see everyday when I drive. People in big trucks , head down texting. I will lay on the airhorn and they won't look up.

Honestly , if I started a trucking company right now , I would have cameras dangling all over the inside and outside of the tractors ( except for the sleeper )
They do make you more aware of safety and do save lives. That’s just a fact. The way technology is advancing in trucking every major trucking company will have cameras dangling everywhere. Inside .... Outside .... Down the sides .... Inside the trailer .... Everywhere you could possibly imagine there will be cameras. It’s really just a matter of time. The companies that don’t have them now have a advantage now in driver retention. But as technology evolves and time moves forward that advantage will disappear. Everyone will have them.

They do make you more aware of safety and do save lives. That’s just a fact. The way technology is advancing in trucking every major trucking company will have cameras dangling everywhere. Inside .... Outside .... Down the sides .... Inside the trailer .... Everywhere you could possibly imagine there will be cameras. It’s really just a matter of time. The companies that don’t have them now have a advantage now in driver retention. But as technology evolves and time moves forward that advantage will disappear. Everyone will have them.

I too, feel they will be mandated.

Hell , in some of the major grocery stores ( Kroger and Walmart in my case ) they put cameras with video screens on the self checkout registers. Also have cameras with screens in the beer aisle and wine aisle - on the screens it says you are being recorded.

I personally will not work anywhere that wants to have a camera pointed right at me. The company I work for doesn't use them. If they did I'm positive I wouldn't stay. If that job ever goes bad I wouldn't even consider Saia or XPO. I'm sure there are a ton of other drivers out there that will say the same thing.
So do you refuse to shop any where that has cameras ? Do you refuse to eat any where that has cameras? You are doing everday things where a camera is looking at you.

Hell , in some of the major grocery stores ( Kroger and Walmart in my case ) they put cameras with video screens on the self checkout registers. Also have cameras with screens in the beer aisle and wine aisle - on the screens it says you are being recorded.
I have cameras all over my house. Inside and out. I can view my house anytime I want to from my smart phone. I love being able to do that. I can even set off an alarm remotely if I want to. If you think about it you can really begin to understand why companies what to protect their investments.

Ummmm...i don't know you..so not sure how you told me anything
Oh you've told me enough and I know more than plenty! You quit to go otr at Dick Levy then came back here now leaving again after beating the company drum and couldn't get enough of what a great place saia is and was!

I have cameras all over my house. Inside and out. I can view my house anytime I want to from my smart phone. I love being able to do that. I can even set off an alarm remotely if I want to. If you think about it you can really begin to understand why companies what to protect their investments.
And that is my point. Most people have cameras all over their house , dash cameras in their car because they want to protect their property .
There are cameras all over the place watching everything you do. But a trucking company puts them in the cabs facing the driver ? The whole narrative changes. You may hate the cameras but we live in a litigious society, that driver facing camera as i have said b4 , may very well save your rear end. Hate it or not.

And that is my point. Most people have cameras all over their house , dash cameras in their car because they want to protect their property .
There are cameras all over the place watching everything you do. But a trucking company puts them in the cabs facing the driver ? The whole narrative changes. You may hate the cameras but we live in a litigious society, that driver facing camera as i have said b4 , may very well save your rear end. Hate it or not.
It’s a double edged sword and SAIA knows this. Like with anything in life there are risk. A risk they are willing to take. I would take it if I owned my own company.

Move out of the ghetto and you won’t need cameras

It’s a double edged sword and SAIA knows this. Like with anything in life there are risk. A risk they are willing to take. I would take it if I owned my own company.
Train as you have said b4 driver facing cameras will be the norm. You can not tell me that they have not changed driver habits . They have changed mine and i am sure they have changed yours.

If cameras are there to protect the company then why not put them everywhere? Every office, every company car, every shop, every bathroom even?