Estes | Legitimate Question Time...

Estands4evil

TB Lurker
Credits
Can anyone explain to me a constant problem we have here @ 024, and also if this happens at other terminals? I'll do my best to explain the situation. Here goes..

We get X amount of dollies in throughout the night/morning/day..There's a guy that does the yard check during the day, and he apparently counts the # of dollies we have to use in the yard. They(management) can/should be able to get a rough estimate of how many are due to arrive at the terminal and aren't dispatched out, give or take ones that are deadlined for whatever reason. Which to my knowledge are also included in the yard check, all of which are put into the computer into an equipment pool. All that being said, and I know this is a stretch... Shouldn't management from the TM down to the Dock Sup's have some idea of how many pups to load before we use our entire pool of dollies? Can't they count the amount of closed out pups.. which would equal the amount of sets that will be hooked, and come to some sort of realization that they just might need to utilize some of the van units sitting empty in the yard?? Allowing the dollie pool to build back up. All that being said, I do realize that pups are for mixing and matching. Which is for the purpose of reducing handling of the freight, and to make full sets to haul. (You don't make $$ hauling MT's) So loading pups to all the New England points makes perfect sense, loading pups for the few western points that we load direct makes sense. (sending a CHI with a WMX, or a PUL with a MEM) Also not trying to add miles to the freight. Now from my experience.. from what I've seen, heard, and have been asked to do.. There are more than a few points that we load to that are sent a loaded pup with a dollie and an empty 4 out of 5 nights of the week. Mondays usually everything goes with a full set because it took all weekend to accumulate a full set. So instead of making jockeys/drivers wait for a dollie to come in and on occasion have to wait for a pup to be emptied. Why not load van's to these places? Even if they'd be dedicated 45's (taking into consideration some of the terminals are small).. You'd be able to have equipment for the area's were mixing and matching pups for a set actually makes sense, drivers wouldn't have to try and move a dollie in some yard that looks like a former bombing range for the Air Force, and we could keep guys moving, keep the freight flowing, and knowing these terminals barely get any freight. We could simply load to ride. Reducing any claims or damage that might happen in transit. After all the entire goal of what we're doing is to make $ right? Who knows, maybe I'm missing something...I'm just some dumb dock worker. Management doesn't have to do the work, so what do they care? I'm not complaining about actually doing the work, but if it was done right the first time, it wouldn't have to be fixed. Ex. Breaking a set up pups hooked an hour ago, just to use the dollie to hook a different set of pups. If we want all pups for linehaul, why not get all single axles with the ability to add the tandem if you'd arrive and have a van to pull back, and start only ordering pups without the dive leg. Single axle tractors should be cheaper than twin screws, just as pups without the dive leg, should be cheaper than the ones that have them. Just my $1.50 offered, and hoping to get some feed back. Hope everyone's safe and Easter treated them well. :smilie_132:

If you were at YRC and went to your boss, they'd politely explain "You just don't see the big picture!!!".

If you were at YRC and went to your boss, they'd politely explain "You just don't see the big picture!!!".

Funny thing is I'd probably get the same response from the mismanagement here @ the Big E, but with a little more attitude. It would really irritate them that I'd actually bring a solution to their problem. Them management types don't appreciate it when they're presented with solutions. I quit asking them the really tough questions years ago, now I ask the questions here to people that actually have answers. Oh and that have people skills.. :smilie_132:

and your answer would be that as the night wears on equipment will come in and go out.unless no one comes in with trailers for you thereby having a dollie and by default not needing one to go back out,if all of your inbound is brought in by your own guys who are taking out first then you do have a problem.

Funny thing is I'd probably get the same response from the mismanagement here @ the Big E, but with a little more attitude. It would really irritate them that I'd actually bring a solution to their problem. Them management types don't appreciate it when they're presented with solutions. I quit asking them the really tough questions years ago, now I ask the questions here to people that actually have answers. Oh and that have people skills.. :smilie_132:

get the same thing here at 069 they just dont want to listen to a dock worker or any body for that matter, any more i just sit back and laugh at the silly solution's they come up with as im thinking to my self TOLD YOU SO.

and your answer would be that as the night wears on equipment will come in and go out.unless no one comes in with trailers for you thereby having a dollie and by default not needing one to go back out,if all of your inbound is brought in by your own guys who are taking out first then you do have a problem.

I once made a 120 mile bobtail to get a dolly.
They said a dolly should be available at the terminal, when I got there. The dolly that was there, was holding up a one legged trailer. The thing that saved my butt though, when I got to the next terminal to get the dolly, I discovered the tractor they sent me with did not have a pintle mount anyway. I had to switch tractors to hook a dolly, to return to the other terminal to string a set.
I didn't question the logic of the whole thing though, I was sure I just didn't understand the Big Picture. :biglaugh:

get the same thing here at 069 they just dont want to listen to a dock worker or any body for that matter, any more i just sit back and laugh at the silly solution's they come up with as im thinking to my self TOLD YOU SO.

Like it has been pointed out in our dear forum here, we're working for knuckleheads. So I'm with you, I've quit giving suggestions or ideas.. and I'll let them put us all out of a job, instead letting my mouth or common sense put me out on the street. That way when I see the same management somewhere or sometime else, I can simply say told ya so. It's apparent they aren't interested in promoting the intelligent ones. If anyone's interested in moving up to management, the requirements are.. Are you breathing? Can you say YES? Are you willing to :butt kiss: to get the next promotion? If you've answered YES to all 3, welcome to management at the Big E.