TForce | Let's discuss.................EVERYTHING....

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
i'm not getting a good vibe, initially, from this "Alain" guy:

a) has he ever driven a truck? What is his background?

1) This business about getting new equipment:

i don't think this is the problem. Good Maintenance is more important. Caster and Alignment is more important than a new truck in my opinion. NOT we need 2021 trucks because it's 2021 and we shouldn't be driving 2008 trucks. i think the truck i had yesterday is 2013, has 700K, but runs well.

Do you think it's cheaper, in my particular terminal's case, to buy 10 new tractors at $110,000 each, so that's 1.1 million dollars? OR better maintain the ones that we have? Even with 3 mechanics working on them 24/7 it's not going to cost 1 million dollars. Also, newer trucks WILL eventually need maintenance too. So, then we should just keep buying new trucks---and spend a million more? We've been doing it this way for 85 years. You're saying we're this stupid and for this long?

a) i would say BETTER equipment over NEWER equipment: Our liftgates have room for improvement. You know these are not the fastest nor the most durable. What about better pallet jacks and handtrucks for the drivers?

2) We are in the freight business, yet we don't give a crap about the freight or the customer.
Please re-read what i just wrote very carefully.

Perhaps, as step one, we should handle the freight much more carefully AND focus on CUSTOMER SERVICE. We are in the SERVICE business after all.

i don't like it when a newcomer comes along and "thinks" they know exactly what will "fix" a company.

There's more but i can't think of it right now. Anything and everything else you want to discuss feel free to.

It’s not a money issue, It’s a safety one. The new trucks have all the fancy safety features that will mess with you all day if you’re a city driver. And don’t forget the new cameras that will be watching everything you do. Enjoy

It’s not a money issue, It’s a safety one. The new trucks have all the fancy safety features that will mess with you all day if you’re a city driver. And don’t forget the new cameras that will be watching everything you do. Enjoy
No driver facing cameras till at least next contract.

i'm not getting a good vibe, initially, from this "Alain" guy:

a) has he ever driven a truck? What is his background?

1) This business about getting new equipment:

i don't think this is the problem. Good Maintenance is more important. Caster and Alignment is more important than a new truck in my opinion. NOT we need 2021 trucks because it's 2021 and we shouldn't be driving 2008 trucks. i think the truck i had yesterday is 2013, has 700K, but runs well.

Do you think it's cheaper, in my particular terminal's case, to buy 10 new tractors at $110,000 each, so that's 1.1 million dollars? OR better maintain the ones that we have? Even with 3 mechanics working on them 24/7 it's not going to cost 1 million dollars. Also, newer trucks WILL eventually need maintenance too. So, then we should just keep buying new trucks---and spend a million more? We've been doing it this way for 85 years. You're saying we're this stupid and for this long?

a) i would say BETTER equipment over NEWER equipment: Our liftgates have room for improvement. You know these are not the fastest nor the most durable. What about better pallet jacks and handtrucks for the drivers?

2) We are in the freight business, yet we don't give a crap about the freight or the customer.
Please re-read what i just wrote very carefully.

Perhaps, as step one, we should handle the freight much more carefully AND focus on CUSTOMER SERVICE. We are in the SERVICE business after all.

i don't like it when a newcomer comes along and "thinks" they know exactly what will "fix" a company.

There's more but i can't think of it right now. Anything and everything else you want to discuss feel free to.
I agree with all of that. In addition, drivers need to look and act like professionals. The non union carrier drivers show up at the shippers in clean sharp uniforms and always thank the customer for their business. The day of the unwashed, unshaven, dirty T shirt driver doesn't cut it anymore.

I agree with all of that. In addition, drivers need to look and act like professionals. The non union carrier drivers show up at the shippers in clean sharp uniforms and always thank the customer for their business. The day of the unwashed, unshaven, dirty T shirt driver doesn't cut it anymore.
So only non union guys take showers and wash their clothes? Guess I made a career doing it all wrong & was taught to say please & thank you. Damn my folks.

Where in the contract does it state no cameras are permitted?Not saying its not there I just dont see it.
Abf wanted face cameras in there trucks few years back and the union fought it and won. I hope it doesn’t come to that. I can deal with the beeping and flashing lights but I don’t want a camera seeing my face and recording what I say in a truck. It’s Invasion of privacy

Where in the contract does it state no cameras are permitted?Not saying its not there I just dont see it.
It is NOT in there, I spoke with a few people and they also thought it was in there. I know I heard it somewhere, but that don't mean squat....