ABF | Letter of Protest to change of operations

This is our Union. I'm a 3rd generation Teamster. I've seen the good & the bad. We each have a voice & a vote at every level. Many use their voices here or in the break room but not at the hall. If their are problems become part of the solution not just an observer or commentator. This isn't a negative post just a call for everyone to get involved. Get down to the hall make your self known & communicate your concerns. The change starts with us.

If my BA does attend will he have to file another letter of protest?
He could take the original one with him. When a protest is filed through proper channels, or at the proper forum, they can't ignore it, and must address it. Otherwise, if you just send a letter of protest to the IBT, you kind of open up the excuse for them to say they never got it, as the proper procedure wasn't followed.

National Labor laws require all Unions to use parliamentary procedure..... (Robert's Rules of Order).......to fairly represent all members. Brother Von is right........we should all be a little more familiar with how meetings, committies,......and, of course,.....conventions,.....are conducted.

If you deviate from the procedure, that just gives our leadership an opening to say they never received your complaint,........or your grievance wasn't properly filed,.......any number of reasons to evade answering things they don't want to.

By all means, have your BA take your protest to the COO hearing. That's the best way to get your concerns addressed.

National Labor laws require all Unions to use parliamentary procedure..... (Robert's Rules of Order).......to fairly represent all members. Brother Von is right........we should all be a little more familiar with how meetings, committies,......and, of course,.....conventions,.....are conducted.
No offense Brother canaryinthemine but Robert's Rules of Order, The IBT Constitution and our Bylaws are all a waste of time and money. Ghosts of procedures to be followed. I can provide you with a heap of evidence that the Local, Joint Council and the IBT have blatantly ignored all three and then some. Anyone who feels otherwise has never tried to enforce them. That is the #1 reason that I am down on our union and will never stomp for anyone to join it.

Back on topic...
When a COO is distributed to the Locals by the IBT it would include the time and place to send any objections to said COO and to explain the objection in detail as to why it should be denied or altered. The committee would then review the objections, assess their legitimacy and make any necessary adjustments. Then they gather at the meeting to explain the COO to the affected Locals and address all objections and whether they have been confirmed or denied. By the time they get to that meeting it is too late to make any changes. A protest sent in any other way to any party is nothing more than a fart in the wind and I am sorry to hear that we might actually have Local leaders who think that this could possibly accomplish anything. To me it displays gross incompetence.

He could take the original one with him. When a protest is filed through proper channels, or at the proper forum, they can't ignore it, and must address it. Otherwise, if you just send a letter of protest to the IBT, you kind of open up the excuse for them to say they never got it, as the proper procedure wasn't followed.

If you deviate from the procedure, that just gives our leadership an opening to say they never received your complaint,........or your grievance wasn't properly filed,.......any number of reasons to evade answering things they don't want to.

By all means, have your BA take your protest to the COO hearing. That's the best way to get your concerns addressed.

I have learned from experience to spend a few dollars & send mail that is important by certified mail. If you suspect the other party may use the "I didn't receive it" excuse, certified will make them a liar if they say the letter was not delivered. Always get a name with any phone conversation & make a note of the time & date. This applies when dealing with an insurance or government agency.

No offense Brother canaryinthemine but Robert's Rules of Order, The IBT Constitution and our Bylaws are all a waste of time and money. Ghosts of procedures to be followed. I can provide you with a heap of evidence that the Local, Joint Council and the IBT have blatantly ignored all three and then some. Anyone who feels otherwise has never tried to enforce them. That is the #1 reason that I am down on our union and will never stomp for anyone to join it.

And none taken,........because what you've said is true in varying degrees from one Local or Joint Council to another.

What I was getting at is that sometimes Local officers........and even IBT ...."leadership "....(can you believe it?).......use that protocol against the members.

Ask an awkward question at the monthly meeting? " Sit down Brother,.....you're out of order!".............file an embarrassing grievance?......."Well, you didn't cite the proper Article, and you haven't filled the form completely...... Grievance denied!"........question the actions of an IBT officer?...........Dead silence......,...because they've insured there is no accountability to the rank-and-file .....once they are elected......No "proper" protocol, as it were..

My point is, ....they use our ignorance of the protocol against us,....to justify their inaction. But,......if you do attempt to follow the rules,.....,the "game" requires that they have to respond to you........might be total horsepuckey of a response,......but they have to satisfy the motions of protocol.

Every once in a while, they get tangled up in the protocol,.....the Rules,......and then sometimes you can get some satisfaction ........or some honest answers..... out of them.

Their ignoring the wishes of the rank-and-file, and use of the rules to justify such.......is the reason there are two completely opposing philosophy's of how to run a Union,.,.....and a convention coming soon to determine which one will prevail. Lots of protocol, and Robert's Rules of Order there......

Let's see who twists them to their advantage.....

What I was getting at is that sometimes Local officers........and even IBT ...."leadership "....(can you believe it?).......use that protocol against the members.
Nice response and you are right on point, I did not see that this was the message in your prior post. Unfortunately, I do not see a change coming in the 'leadership' of our union but I would love to see it and will do my part.

Nice response and you are right on point, I did not see that this was the message in your prior post. Unfortunately, I do not see a change coming in the 'leadership' of our union but I would love to see it and will do my part.

I am in the process of selling a kidney,.....and any other spare body parts I have, ,.....to raise money for Teamsters United........

I offered them my good looks,........but they wouldn't quit laughing long enough to tell me whether they wanted 'em or not......