R&L | license

Get ready for Tanker Endorsement Fee as a new accessorial charge.But in all seriousness I think thats a little overkill just to haul totes.

Already have it.I hauled Gas tanker for several years.But that aside,what are you talking about?

The DOT from what I was told made it a new law. It went into effect last May. If you haul a certain amount of totes you now have to have the tanker endorsement. The DOT in their infinite wisdom failed to tell all of us this. One state that new about it is Louisiana. They have been collecting big bucks from all the LTL trucks. R+L is going to reimburse us for the endorsement. I wonder who the congressman was that had this brain fart.

Here's the best part, non -haz empty totes with a combined capacity over 1000 gallons, tanker endorsement required. 48' trailer full of hazardous 55 gallon drums, no tanker endorsement necessary. Go figure that one out.

I've asked other drivers for LTL companies, one of my customers who ships out totes on a truckload carrier, she even called the truckload carrier and asked them and I asked a friend of mine who is the safety man with another LTL carrier, he goes to the truckers association meeting every month and none of these people have heard of this new law! My friend told me that they were not making their drivers get the tanker endorsement. It just seems that there is more to the story than being told, the company is not being honest about the reasoning for the endorsement or maybe someone is just misunderstanding the law. Some of us have wondered if maybe they are going to get into pulling tankers, if so just be honest about the reason for the endorsement. In the long run I guess it doesn't matter, got to do it to keep my job

Here's the best part, non -haz empty totes with a combined capacity over 1000 gallons, tanker endorsement required. 48' trailer full of hazardous 55 gallon drums, no tanker endorsement necessary. Go figure that one out.

Having hauled my fair share of totes for Jevic, when you have enough of them it feels like a tanker. You do get the slosh effect. 55 gal. drums have much less of a gap between the liquid and the top of the drum. Depending on the product in the tote, you could have a foot of empty space inside. that's potentially a lot of liquid moving around. I also think it's a money grab by the states.

Now using the government logic. If I haul totes I have to have a tanker endorsement on my CDL. Does this mean if I haul an aircraft on my flatbed do I now need to get a pilots license? Just wondering.

The regulation was slipped into the Federal Register in May around the 9th of the month. The verbiage refers to the "aggregate" amount of over 1000 gallons (U.S.) for tanks "attached" to a vehicle. Now if four empty totes will affect the handling of my equipment I'll eat my RedWings. As for the other Carriers and Safety Guys, the entire LTL Industry was taken by surprise by the enforcement of this reg. It should NOT apply to LTLs, because of the way it is written. The problem is, they (enforcement agencies) continue to cite drivers.

after seeing this post, i asked the same of my company- the law was written, but is supposed to take affect jan 2013. There is a suit filed by the ATA because it's so vague. They way it reads it could be 1 tank that holds 1000 gals or a total of 1000 gals. Ran into a Pitt O driver and he said they were told get the endorsement for 1/13. It will be like the HOS , they will argue over it for years !!

First I've heard of it, we've not seen any memo at FedEx Freight in Kansas City. I already have mine since the test is an easy one to do while taking the HazMat test though so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.

roog