XPO | Life after Conway

longtimeltl

Retired and Happy!
Credits
As many of you know, I was relieved of duty at Conway last fall. Guess what? It was not the end of the world! In reality, it has been the beginning of a whole new world.
My wife says that I am about 100% better to live with since departing Conway!
I did not leave voluntarily, but I did not lie to keep my job.
I made a 22 minute mistake which cost me a good paying 20 plus year job.
My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
The current Employee Termination Review Board is nothing like the old days at CCX.
They are a group of stuffed shirts that want you to grovel and cry to try and get your job back.
They told me that I did not sound remorseful!
I was not remorseful!!!
I made a mistake, pure and simple.
I did not lie about it or try to cover up.
From early in life I was taught to admit your mistakes, learn the lesson and move forward.
Apparently the NEW Conway management has never made any mistakes (Gag, snort, and puke )

To my Conway friends, I miss you very much!
You probably do not miss my Bitcning.
To everybody else, no matter where you work: Pay a little extra each month on your house payment, you will be suprised how much $50.00 per month will knock down the length of your mortgage.
Losing my JOB at Conway was devistating at first, but turned out to be a God send in the end.
I wish that I would have had the Kaahonnies to walk away voluntarily.
To my Conway friends, and you know who you are, stay the course and stay in touch
Your Friend, longtimeltl.

glad you landed on your feet... and that is EXACTLY why I paid my house off early and became 100% debt free 355 days ago...

Whatever other motivation I may have, the bottom line is: Prepare for life after Conway, or any other company you work for, your JOB may not be as long lasting as we all thought it would be.
I have NO complaints
Thank You Conway for the 75% reductions in wages between full pay and retirement pay.
FU Conway for what you promised me, and many others about 20 years ago!.
To all of my friends and previous co-workers, prepare for the worst, and then enjoy the rest!
YES! There is life after Conway!!!!!
Randy,

[quote author=longtimeltl link=topic=79394.msg823072#msg823072 date=1271729509]
As many of you know, I was relieved of duty at Conway last fall. Guess what? It was not the end of the world! In reality, it has been the beginning of a whole new world.
My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
The current Employee Termination Review Board is nothing like the old days at CCX.
They are a group of stuffed shirts that want you to grovel and cry to try and get your job back.
I was not remorseful!!!
From early in life I was taught to admit your mistakes, learn the lesson and move forward.
Apparently the NEW Conway management has never made any mistakes (Gag, snort, and puke )

To everybody else, no matter where you work: Pay a little extra each month on your house payment, you will be suprised how much $50.00 per month will knock down the length of your mortgage.
Losing my JOB at Conway was devistating at first, but turned out to be a God send in the end.
To my Conway friends, and you know who you are, stay the course and stay in touch
[/quote]

I didn't know you were let go...sorry to hear that.

However I am glad you are doing OK...

But what the hell is a 22 minute mistake?...Maybe I shouldn't ask...if don't want to reply I will understand...

At any rate best of luck to you...things do have a way of working out....especially for those wronged.

Rat

My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
I was not remorseful!!!

Its said that when one door closes another opens. I am proud to say " screw you" to two managers after I sold our business and became a company driver. I never regretted it at all. I would never fit in at CWX, needless to say.

Best thing that happened to you was getting canned from Conway. Good luck, driver!
Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: Only the best to you and your family, and you are exactly right. Whether it be here or any where else things happen for a reason and survivors survive. Obviously you are one. It took a little time to heal, but you bounced back :clap:.I have to agree with you, if someone is a 20 yr. veteran of this now corperate American run organization to take stock. Secure your future to the best of your ability now before you say i wished i would have. Your advice on paying down your notes now could not be more sound. A while back i did exactly that.
With just a few years to go till retirement i pulled my money out of the leagalized form of gambling called the stock market and pretty much paid off all what i owed and banked the rest. My reasoning was i watched it go down the sewer over night last year and then it came back to where it almost was , then i pulled the trigger. Sure i took a hit on taxes,(am over 591/2 so did not get hit with a penalty for early withdraw) but that was not all just my money, part of it was con-ways match. Now if somthing were to happen(like another big crash in the market that money is all mine to control.)at least i could work for a whole lot less and still live pretty decent. I definately am not advising anyone to do anything, but just did what i felt best for me.
As far as your being let go for a simple mistake, the writing is on the wall. 20 yrs. of dedicated service to a company, now make a mistake and its all over.They could have just as easily taken that 22 min. out of your pay and keep their loyalty to you, but that would have been too fair. I do not know the whole story, but do believe you and am assuming that you did nothing more out of the ordinary that we all do on a dailey basis. With that being said, remember what goes around comes around, sounds like somebody had it out for you or they would have cleared it to handle the situation differntly. The best to you and keep us up to date. And THANK-YOU for your dedication , it does not go unnoticed on this end

Another way of relieving themselves of a pension burden. What pension is left that is.

I'm glad you are doing great, best revenge is to live great and don't let the dust of Conway stick to anything. :thumbsup:

[quote author=ranger309 link=topic=79394.msg823103#msg823103 date=1271733610]
My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
I was not remorseful!!!

Its said that when one door closes another opens. I am proud to say " screw you" to two managers after I sold our business and became a company driver. I never regretted it at all. I would never fit in at CWX, needless to say.

Best thing that happened to you was getting canned from Conway. Good luck, driver!
[/quote]

I find the whole thing with Longtimeltl quite disturbing...

I don't know the person...we've never met...and I have no idea what this person's relationship with his/hers supervisors may have been....nor do I have any clue about this person's work ethic/record...

With that out of the way...

A person with 20 years in this company had to be doing something right. Especially back in the day when we were manged by people that actually understood the trucking business...truck drivers...and how to move freight. Under the old leadership you either were part of the solution or...adios!...it was that simple...we all knew it and respected it.

Twenty years of service should have carried some weight...and garnered some respect from those in charge.

This is not an easy job...not overly taxing in most repects...just not easy...as we are required to know and act upon many things.

In the course of 20 yerars one would have gained invaluable knowledge...expertise...and abilities not easily replaced. And should have at least been veiwed as such.

As I said I do not know this person...but for the sake of argument...given the 20 years...I would have to say they were of the 'right stuff' to be employed by Con-Way...

This person made mention of the Employee Termination Review Board...didn't know we had one...and evidently it is staffed with managers...people who haven't a clue as to what our job duties entail...I have said this before...and it is still true. These 'managers' are not about to side with a driver or any other employee against one of their 'own'...unless the termination was so blatantly incorrect that legal action may ensue. That is what this review board is all about...its obvious...why would it exist otherwise?

I am assuming the '22 minutes' was a stealing time issue...may or may not have been a mistake...I do not know.

And this individual may be guilty as charged...with that being said...is termination the right way to go?

Throw away 20 years of service...safety...integrity...committment...and excellence...as a result of some unfortunate infraction...intentional or otherwise?

Even if guilty as charged there are other more intelleigent ways to handle these kinds of incidents without throwing the offending employee out the door...other punitive measures that may have better served the purpose...kept a 20 year person...and perhaps gotten a better employee out of the deal.

Of course...all this is just conjecture on my part...

But from what I have witnessed over the last several years...under our current leadership (or lack thereof) your service history means nothing...its only what you can do for them at the moment. They demand loyalty as a condition of employment...yet are reluctant to return same to those employed.

Lontimeltl may be guilty as sin...or as innocent as a newborn...or anything in between...

However I find it very unnerving that an employee of 20 years service is terminated for '22 minutes'...

Regardless of the guilt/innocence issue...the termination says volumes of what this 'finely' managed and progressive company has become....

Then there will be the kool-aid drinkers who will come forth with all the rules infraction nonsense...and what a great place this is to work...and the wonderful almighty paycheck...

But remember this...any of us at any time is subject to an unpublished set of rules that are situationally applied...and any one of us may be in this person's shoes without recourse.

This gives the thinking person something to ponder...what do they think you are worth?...especially as we are once again forced to endure the annual KTDA dog and pony show...listening to the mind boggling the culture speech...and how other companies are interested in our model...(what is that I smell???...Oh yeah...that would be BS!)...

Dougie may be snowballing the public and getting away with it...but internally this company is a mess.

Does our years of service actually mean anything?...

I doubt it.

Rat

The Review has become a joke, they rarely side with the driver no matter how many years he has in the company. Was a time you could actually talk to them and explain what happened and they would take all information into account. Now it's a kangeroo court.

So then, ultimately, there is no concept as "Job security". When they are tired of me, I am gone, regardless of length of service, or quality thereof. No "Star" cards, no T.D.C. Championship, no V.T.F. membership (or whatever they are being called now)............will mitigate the fact that they are done with me, and it's time to move on down the highway. Being one of these................. :poke: or, being one of these.................. :buttkisser:

or being one of these............... :stir: Who you think they are going to pick?????

I just want to say that I am not siding with one or the other.

When it comes to knowing what went on behind the scenes, you can't assume. I stand up for employees when they come to me with a problem. If they have a valid complaint I will fight for them. I have got egg on my face for it in the past but I will stand up for everyone. Some guys make a good story until you hear the other side. Just don't be to quick to assume.

As for the employee termination board. I have heard about it and have seen guys come back to work because of the results. Again, we don't know who is on the board so we can't assume "they are out to get employee". Guys have come back even with the disgust of the SCM.

Now, I don't drink the koolaid and I am not defending the company. All I am saying is that you can't pass judgment until you know both sides of the story.

Man, I am going to catch some crap for this. :bash:

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79394.msg823389#msg823389 date=1271824441]
[quote author=ranger309 link=topic=79394.msg823103#msg823103 date=1271733610]
My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
I was not remorseful!!!

[/quote]

I find the whole thing with Longtimeltl quite disturbing...

I don't know the person...we've never met...and I have no idea what this person's relationship with his/hers supervisors may have been....nor do I have any clue about this person's work ethic/record...

With that out of the way...

A person with 20 years in this company had to be doing something right. Especially back in the day when we were manged by people that actually understood the trucking business...truck drivers...and how to move freight. Under the old leadership you either were part of the solution or...adios!...it was that simple...we all knew it and respected it.

Twenty years of service should have carried some weight...and garnered some respect from those in charge.

This is not an easy job...not overly taxing in most repects...just not easy...as we are required to know and act upon many things.

In the course of 20 yerars one would have gained invaluable knowledge...expertise...and abilities not easily replaced. And should have at least been veiwed as such.

As I said I do not know this person...but for the sake of argument...given the 20 years...I would have to say they were of the 'right stuff' to be employed by Con-Way...

This person made mention of the Employee Termination Review Board...didn't know we had one...and evidently it is staffed with managers...people who haven't a clue as to what our job duties entail...I have said this before...and it is still true. These 'managers' are not about to side with a driver or any other employee against one of their 'own'...unless the termination was so blatantly incorrect that legal action may ensue. That is what this review board is all about...its obvious...why would it exist otherwise?

I am assuming the '22 minutes' was a stealing time issue...may or may not have been a mistake...I do not know.

And this individual may be guilty as charged...with that being said...is termination the right way to go?

Throw away 20 years of service...safety...integrity...committment...and excellence...as a result of some unfortunate infraction...intentional or otherwise?

Even if guilty as charged there are other more intelleigent ways to handle these kinds of incidents without throwing the offending employee out the door...other punitive measures that may have better served the purpose...kept a 20 year person...and perhaps gotten a better employee out of the deal.

Of course...all this is just conjecture on my part...

But from what I have witnessed over the last several years...under our current leadership (or lack thereof) your service history means nothing...its only what you can do for them at the moment. They demand loyalty as a condition of employment...yet are reluctant to return same to those employed.

Lontimeltl may be guilty as sin...or as innocent as a newborn...or anything in between...

However I find it very unnerving that an employee of 20 years service is terminated for '22 minutes'...

Regardless of the guilt/innocence issue...the termination says volumes of what this 'finely' managed and progressive company has become....

Then there will be the kool-aid drinkers who will come forth with all the rules infraction nonsense...and what a great place this is to work...and the wonderful almighty paycheck...

But remember this...any of us at any time is subject to an unpublished set of rules that are situationally applied...and any one of us may be in this person's shoes without recourse.

This gives the thinking person something to ponder...what do they think you are worth?...especially as we are once again forced to endure the annual KTDA dog and pony show...listening to the mind boggling the culture speech...and how other companies are interested in our model...(what is that I smell???...Oh yeah...that would be BS!)...

Dougie may be snowballing the public and getting away with it...but internally this company is a mess.

Does our years of service actually mean anything?...

I doubt it.

Rat
[/quote]

Rat, as oldtimer50 said, "very well stated".
Yes, it was stealing time, and falsifying company documents, because my D.R's showed the wrong times.
I had been running the longest peddle our barn had, for about a year, after the big closings of terminals and we picked up further away areas.
I had been doing 2-3 stops per hour including a 1 hour to 1 hour and 1/4 stem time each way.
I covered whatever needed covered, and was the happiest I have ever been on a set peddle.
I ended up averaging probably 56 hours per week, and did not mind putting the hours in to help our company survive.
When I hired in in 1987, the biggest reason I came to CCX was that the P&D Drivers all told me they worked 40-45 hours per week. That was right up my alley.
At 56 years old, the 56 hours took a toll on my body.
Life requires many hours outside of work, there were not enough hours in a day.
I pushed and did the job, but their was a price to pay.
My "sin" was taking a 52 minute nap when I was sicker than a dog, and it just so happens that the suck a** FOS, who I never really felt much love for, has a wife who works next door to my nap spot.
Yes, I was guilty of breaking the rules.
Should firing have been the way to handle my infractions?
Don't know.
Did Conway loose a dedicated, knowledgable, caring employee?
For Sure!
Do they realize it?
I doubt it.
Again I will say, while you are making good $, pay extra on your payments, and get out of debt, that is the only cushion I have had since the devistating blow from Conway.
That stated,.....I said in another post that I wish I had the kahounas to get out earlier....well the time is here!
I am very pleased with "life after Conway"
Yes, the $ are a little tighter, adjustments in spending have been made.
My internet business is grossing more than I could have dreamed of, and that is what I really wanted to do any way.
Tomorrow (04/22/10 ) will be 6 full months since I departed the GREAT Conway, and things look better every day!
That is the whole point of starting this thread, there IS a life after Conway!
PLEASE, keep doing your best, and keep the pension checks (no matter how small ) coming!!!

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79394.msg823633#msg823633 date=1271900642]

When it comes to knowing what went on behind the scenes, you can't assume. I stand up for employees when they come to me with a problem. If they have a valid complaint I will fight for them. I have got egg on my face for it in the past but I will stand up for everyone. Some guys make a good story until you hear the other side. Just don't be to quick to assume.

As for the employee termination board. I have heard about it and have seen guys come back to work because of the results. Again, we don't know who is on the board so we can't assume "they are out to get employee". Guys have come back even with the disgust of the SCM.

Now, I don't drink the koolaid and I am not defending the company. All I am saying is that you can't pass judgment until you know both sides of the story.

[/quote]

077, Great post, I could not have said it better myself!
The only thing I miss after departing Conway is people like you who are not afraid to stir the pot with a dose of truth!
I have stated my case, and accepted the consequences, there IS life after Conway!

[quote author=av8tor link=topic=79394.msg823479#msg823479 date=1271863922]
So then, ultimately, there is no concept as "Job security". When they are tired of me, I am gone, regardless of length of service, or quality thereof. No "Star" cards, no T.D.C. Championship, no V.T.F. membership (or whatever they are being called now)............will mitigate the fact that they are done with me, and it's time to move on down the highway. Being one of these................. :poke: or, being one of these.................. :buttkisser:

or being one of these............... :stir: Who you think they are going to pick?????
[/quote]

I have a whole stack of Star Cards from management, they don't mean S***!
If you, as a senior, older employee, mess up.....GOODBYE!!!
CYA!!!

[quote author=longtimeltl link=topic=79394.msg823644#msg823644 date=1271901134]

[/quote]

The only thing I miss after departing Conway is people like you who are not afraid to stir the pot with a dose of truth!
I have stated my case, and accepted the consequences, there IS life after Conway!
[/quote]

I am happy that things worked out for you. I am 50 and well, I know where you are coming from. I am on a 12 hour a day run and have an hour commute each direction. Sometimes I too become overwhelmed with all the time away from the house. Sometimes I spend all of my weekend catching up with things that didn't get done during the week just so I can get up on Monday and do it all over again.

Hope your internet business does you good and all things work out. Enjoy your time "after Conway". :thumbsup:

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=79394.msg823649#msg823649 date=1271901479]
[quote author=longtimeltl link=topic=79394.msg823644#msg823644 date=1271901134]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am happy that things worked out for you. I am 50 and well, I know where you are coming from. I am on a 12 hour a day run and have an hour commute each direction. Sometimes I too become overwhelmed with all the time away from the house. Sometimes I spend all of my weekend catching up with things that didn't get done during the week just so I can get up on Monday and do it all over again.

Hope your internet business does you good and all things work out. Enjoy your time "after Conway". :thumbsup:
[/quote]

077, How do you and all of the others do what you do and work a 60 hour per week job?
I cannot even fathom how I juggled all of the stuff I did while working.
The bottom line truth is: I gave Conway 100% almost all the time for 22 years. I gave 110% the rest of the time.
I believe that most Conway Drivers do the same.
I am not speaking for the "new breed" of Conway Drivers.
We are getting "Yellow" freight.....that ain't good freight
We are spending more $ handling freight, and less time "moving" freight.
To all of you earning a good check, PAY OFF your debt!
Break the bonds of the Mother Company, you will be OK!

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79394.msg823091#msg823091 date=1271732413]
[quote author=longtimeltl link=topic=79394.msg823072#msg823072 date=1271729509]
My Bad!
NO, I am actually glad.
I was not remorseful!!!

[/quote]

I didn't know you were let go...sorry to hear that.

However I am glad you are doing OK...

But what the hell is a 22 minute mistake?...Maybe I shouldn't ask...if don't want to reply I will understand...

At any rate best of luck to you...things do have a way of working out....especially for those wronged.

Rat
[/quote]

Rat, Conways rules do not allow you to take lunch and breaks together....BUSTED!

My husband is past 50 and puts in 68-70 hours every week. Nearly every Friday he uses the 16 hour rule. And has been working this schedule for years now.

No, he doesn't have time to do anything. I have some family members (teens) looking for some money and have them come down once in a while to help out.

It is very wearing on the body. No doubt.

[quote author=TiredDvrsWife link=topic=79394.msg823674#msg823674 date=1271903611]
My husband is past 50 and puts in 68-70 hours every week. Nearly every Friday he uses the 16 hour rule. And has been working this schedule for years now.

No, he doesn't have time to do anything. I have some family members (teens) looking for some money and have them come down once in a while to help out.

It is very wearing on the body. No doubt.
[/quote]

I am caretaker for 7 properties. Approx. 8 acres. How in the heck did I do it before retirement?
I ask myself this almost dailey.
Life "after Conway" is good!
Fight the god fight, move the fereight, and, keep thosen checks coming!~!!!